Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

From Dish to Direct - some comments

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

From Dish Hopper to DirecTV Genie :

For those contemplating making a switch to DirecTV from Dish, here’s a few things that you’ll notice.

1.  The HD PQ on Direct is better, but the difference is slight to most eyes and certainly to mine.  Noticeable, but hardly earth shatteringly different.

2.  With the HR44, D*’s SD now is watcheable.  Wasn’t on previous HRxx models I have had at different times.  It is very channel specific, with some being very good and some not so good at all.  That channel specificity is there with Dish too, but Dish’t SD is better overall by a fair amount.

3.  The user interface.  For all the blathering that went on in the Direct sections of the forum, the current user interface is nearly identical to the previous non-graphic one, certainly in the layout and how you do things.  The GUI reminds me of 80’s era MS-DOS ‘graphics’.  Functional, but not very graphic at all.

Well, there is one place I suppose the GUI got a boost, and that is in the ability to stuff lots of ads in the channel guide.  IMO, not much of a benefit to the user, but I suppose it makes the marketing guys at D* happy.

One of the biggies IMO, is that the guide width on D* is only 1.5 hours vice the 3 hours on E*.  I’ve never understood the reasoning behind not changing that when they went to a HD GUI.  Seems a horrible waste of space.  And because of that, the guide screen and most other screens are really in your face on big screens.  It would take some really horrible vision to not be able to read that screen from very far away.

Dish definitely did their homework on their Hopper UI.

That said, the D* UI is very functional and if you had never had the Hopper, would remind you of all that older equipment we’ve all had over the years.

4.  Search - Both D* and E* have excellent search abilities these days.  D*’s is very flexible, and if you take the time to learn the boolean searches, some amazing series links can be setup.  It is a little more complicated to use, but can be worth the effort for some.  My only beef with D*’s search is that it is ‘fiddly’ to get to it.  No one button to search with D*.

But overall, I’d have to say that right now the power and flexibility of search is pretty equal, with the difference being mostly in how you get to it and interact with it.

5.  Programming -  For the most part the basic, non-premium programming channels are mostly all there on each service.  Each service packages differently though, so sometimes you can come from Dish with a fairly high end base pack, and go to a lower pack on D*.  That can be a dollar saver.  Note that both services structure their base packs so that there always seems to be one more channel you’d love to have and it is just an upgrade away.  :)

6.  Premium Programming -

While Dish has a wider selection of movie channels because of the Epix channels, Direct has more movie channels in HD.  It is just that simple.  While it is nice to have Epix, Epix is probably the worst premium movie channel when it comes to incessant repeats IMO.  I had Epix as part of my Dish subscription for most of the time, but finally cancelled it out as it seemed they just didn’t have enough new movies to make it worthwhile.

7.  Sports - we always say that if you want lots of sports, D* is the way to go, especially if you want them in HD.  It isn’t that Dish is horrible for sports fans, it is just that D* is much better for them.

Even for lesser sports like Boxing.  I can and do get many more boxing shows on Direct that just weren’t available at all on Dish.

8.  Speed - It used to be that D*’s equipment was doggedly slow compared to anything from Dish.  And that is still true up through the HR34.  But the HR44 Genie is faster than the Hoppers by a little bit for virtually all interactions.  Never thought I’d be able to say that about D* equipment.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

Are you comparing the HR44 speed to the original Hopper, or the faster Hopper with Sling?

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

To either actually.  Originally the Hopper with sling was faster, the later updates slowed things down.

Lloyd

#4 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:20 AM

A couple things I missed in my OP.

1.  VOD - D*'s is much broader than E*s though both offer plenty of it.  But D* has one thing that I find to be excellent when it comes to VOD and that is that I can get to a channels VOD content from the guide.  On the guide the channel number and call letters on the left of the guide can be selected, when you do that you can get to the VOD for that channel just by pushing the 'select' button if the channel is notated with a "+" sign.  Quick and simple.  Of course you can still go through the menu system to get to VOD too and sometimes that is better.

2.  Single channel schedule can be gotten the same way, but push the 'info' button instead and a list of the next approximately 2 weeks worth of programming is at your fingertips.  Very handy at times and very welcome.

3.  Audio - I noticed that the separation and effects of having a 5.1 audio setup is better on D* than E*.  I noticed more of the background audio in the surrounds on D* than I did on E*.  Even checked it on the same channel while I had both the Genie and Hopper connected.  I have to wonder if that is new or just something I didn't remember from the past with the other HRs I've had.

4.  Dish Anywhere vs DirecTV Everywhere - If remote access is important then Dish Anywhere has to be looked at.  Compared to Direct's offering it is just much broader in selection and is very much more mature.

Lloyd

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Doesn't dish just use along for their tv anywhere or do they also stream the channels and such from their servers?

And do they have a genie go system that allows you to download shows and save them on your devices?

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

I don't know exactly how they do it, but nearly every channel is available.

If you have a Hopper with sling you can transfer recordings to iOS devices and I think to at least some Android devices.

Lloyd

#7 OFFLINE   NashGuy

NashGuy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Sling doesn't transfer your recordings to computers and mobile devices, it just streams them from your DVR. Or at least that was the case when I left Dish a year ago, using a VIP-722 DVR with an external Sling adapter attached. I would sometimes stream my recordings to a laptop or iPad while traveling; the video quality would range between just OK and fairly bad. It's limited by both the upstream capacity of your home internet and the downstream capacity of whatever network your device is using (which in my case was hotel wi-fi).

DirecTV's GenieGo, on the other hand, does (I believe) actually transfer recordings to your device. The upside is that you can watch offline (like on an airplane) and, though I haven't used GenieGo, I would bet the picture quality is better than what I experienced using Dish + Sling. On the downside, you have to have storage space on your device for the programs you load onto it (video takes up a lot of space) and I've heard that the transfer process is a bit cumbersome. But, again, I've never used GenieGo, so others may be able to offer better info than I can.

In addition to GenieGo, DirecTV does offer on-demand streaming, via their website or mobile apps, for a number of channels. For some of those channels, you have to be on your home network; for others, you can be anywhere.

And lastly, DirecTV offers their customers who subscribe to premium channels access to those channels' authenticated streaming services: HBO Go, Showtime Anytime (which Dish still does not offer), Starz Play, Encore Play, and Max Go.

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

With the Hopper with sling you can, and I did transfer recordings to my iPad without any other gear.  That was new to Dish, and to be very frank about it, it works quote well and doesn't require the additional expense of a Genie Go.

An from reading reports here, it works better.

Lloyd

#9 OFFLINE   NashGuy

NashGuy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:13 AM

Yeah, it stinks that a GenieGo costs $100. If it were free or a minimal cost like $20, I'd get one and occasionally use it. But I'm not paying $100 for one.

That's nice that the Hopper allows files transfer to the iPad. As I said, streaming from the DVR wasn't great. I found it better to stream directly from the content provider with apps like Watch ABC, HBO Go, etc.

#10 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

One of the biggies IMO, is that the guide width on D* is only 1.5 hours vice the 3 hours on E*.  I’ve never understood the reasoning behind not changing that when they went to a HD GUI.  Seems a horrible waste of space.

Me neither.  I had high expectations when the D* Guide went HD -- I thought the big benefit would be getting more info on screen.  But it never happened.

Greg

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,641 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, it stinks that a GenieGo costs $100. If it were free or a minimal cost like $20, I'd get one and occasionally use it. But I'm not paying $100 for one.

Right, you see the value because there is no "value" in it for you.  if you really needed it, then you would be singing another tune.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 398 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Me neither.  I had high expectations when the D* Guide went HD -- I thought the big benefit would be getting more info on screen.  But it never happened.

My parents love the fact that you can chose the guide style with Dish. On their big TV, they have it set to 3 hours but on the small on, they have it set to 1.5 so they can read it easier. And it's SO MUCH easier to switch favorites lists. However, I don't like all the zeros in the Dish guide "Channel 0002-000" or whatever it is) on the locals. 

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

With the Hopper with sling you can, and I did transfer recordings to my iPad without any other gear.  That was new to Dish, and to be very frank about it, it works quote well and doesn't require the additional expense of a Genie Go.

An from reading reports here, it works better.

At least with the GenieGo you can use it with any HD DVR, you don't need to replace the STB to get the capability.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#14 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

I didn't need to replace anything to get my recordings transferred.

Lloyd

#15 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:18 PM

I didn't need to replace anything to get my recordings transferred.

Because you had a Hopper with Sling, what would you need if you didn't have that box. That was my point, the GenieGo works with any DIRECTV HD DVR, but if you had let's say a Dish 722 you wouldn't be able to transfer recordings, you'd need to upgrade to a Hopper with Sling (and replace any other Dish STB's that you might have that weren't a Hopper).

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#16 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,837 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

What about the hoppers without sling?

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#17 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

No, only works with the Hopper with sling.  I suppose there is something supported that a sling adapter doesn't have.

Lloyd

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

Genie go can now stream your recordings to your mobile device just as a sling can do.. 

And its really about your connection.  You likely have a great connection lparsons, but if you ever have a bad one then you will not have nearly the same experience.  I have had a sling forever, and I love it, but once in a while I am somewhere that it just doesnt work well..  

Not sure its safe to say either one is truly better other than to say that sling will let you watch it sounds like any channel live, where as with a genie go you have to have it recording, so you may have a slight delay for any show you want to stream.

#19 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

We're getting confused here a bit I think.  The ability to transfer a recording to a mobile device was introduced with the Hopper with Sling, it is an ability not in any Sling device you might add on to anything I'm aware of.  Similar to what you do with the GenieGo but you just use some mobile devices instead of a seperate single purpose box.

The ability to view recordings on some mobile devices in your home, on the same network has been around for quite some time with Dish, even the VIPs would do it without any sling device.  Doing that with Direct equipment is relatively a newcomer I think (feel free to correct me).  The only thing I remember that D* had similar was allowing you to view recordings on your PC with Direct2PC, IF you had one of the small set of PCs that were supported by that software.  That particular piece of software doesn't work with Intel embedded graphics from what I read and many models of PCs come with that.

Sling, either with Dish or Direct, will allow for streaming recordings to a remote network.  How well it works is directly dependent on the source uplink speed.  IOW, for most at home, the stream won't be pretty because of 1Mb or slower uplinks speeds.  I know, I've done it with the Hopper w/Sling a few times just as a test.  Doable but nearly worthless except for those with much better internet service.

At the moment I'd say that the GenieGo and Hopper w/Sling's abilities to transfer recordings is similar enough to give it a wash.

The ability to watch live TV remotely is most likely done via Dish Anywhere/DirecTV Everywhere and at this moment in time, Dish's offerings of which channels are available is broader.

Lloyd

#20 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

Genie go can now stream your recordings to your mobile device just as a sling can do.. 

And its really about your connection.  You likely have a great connection lparsons, but if you ever have a bad one then you will not have nearly the same experience.  I have had a sling forever, and I love it, but once in a while I am somewhere that it just doesnt work well..  

Not sure its safe to say either one is truly better other than to say that sling will let you watch it sounds like any channel live, where as with a genie go you have to have it recording, so you may have a slight delay for any show you want to stream.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me as if you must transfer recordings to the GenieGo at home before they are available to watch.  IOW, the GenieGo only has what is on it that is viewable away from home??

With the Hopper w/Sling it is all done in the box and yes it is very dependent on the uplink speed at the source.  

When I tried it out awhile back I used an iPad Mini to do it.  And I could also mirror that to the big screen at the remote location if I had an AppleTV, that a function of the iPad not Sling.  It was doable, but I have 1Mb (usually less than that in reality), so the picture quality was SD at best and usually not even that good.

Now let me clear up one thing.  I noted which I thought was best and I stand by that, but I've not found the ability to do it, regardless of whose equipment I'm using, to be of great value and only tested it because it was there.  I don't watch TV shows/movies on itty-bitty screens at all.

Lloyd

spam firewall