Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

channel change lag

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   carlatdmf

carlatdmf

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

I have an HR-24 hooked up to a Pioneer SC-65 receiver through hdmi and then connected  to a projector. When changing channels or when turning the system on, the lag time before seeing a picture can be as long as 30 seconds. Is there a way to change some settings to shorten this time?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,714 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

If you have not done so already, reset the receiver. Menu, Settings, Reset, Restart Receiver.

Go into Settings, Display, Preferences and Turn Scrolling Effects to OFF,

Go into Settings, Display, Video and Set Native to OFF

Go into Settings, Display, Resolutions and check only the 1080i setting.

See if those help.

If not you might have a hard drive that is failing.

Edited by jimmie57, 04 February 2014 - 10:31 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 ONLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

Sometimes this works....On your remote...

Press and Hold "Mute" and "Select" until you get 2 Green blinks at the top of the remote...

Then press in sequence...9-6-3-Channel Down...

You should get 4 green blinks at the top of the remote....

I have used this many times to improve response times.  After re-starts, new software downloads, it is sometimes necessary to repeat this process.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,205 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Is this something that changed recently?

Does it happen when you tune to a local channel?

It is possible that your projector reacts slowly to a handshake request and/or the AVR is slow to return the result.

Make sure you have native mode disabled (as jimmie57 recommended) so the HR24 isn't changing resolutions with each channel change.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   carlatdmf

carlatdmf

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes I did just change Pioneer receivers from an older to a newer model. The old one was slow enough but the new one is worse. It may Pio receiver related. I will try some of the suggestions tonight. I will also see if Pioneer has any suggestions.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,714 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

The new one, Pioneer,  might also be working with the video to up convert. If there is a setting on the video that you can set it to 1080i then all would synch together and not be constantly changing.

Edited by jimmie57, 04 February 2014 - 10:54 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,326 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

Sometimes this works....On your remote...

Press and Hold "Mute" and "Select" until you get 2 Green blinks at the top of the remote...

Then press in sequence...9-6-3-Channel Down...

You should get 4 green blinks at the top of the remote....

I have used this many times to improve response times.  After re-starts, new software downloads, it is sometimes necessary to repeat this process.

I know the sequence and what it does, but doesn't that just program the remote? I wouldn't think a software download would affect it. I would also think it would only apply to DirecTV remotes.

#8 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,205 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

Again, make sure that native mode is off.  There can be quite a bit of delay when the DVR is negotiating with the HDMI connected devices to see what they all have in common.

You should try bypassing the AVR altogether to see if it has a material impact.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 ONLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

I know the sequence and what it does, but doesn't that just program the remote? I wouldn't think a software download would affect it. I would also think it would only apply to DirecTV remotes.

It turns off the IR identifier sequence, a small but noticeable gain. I have seen where for some unknown reason it gets reset, so therefore redoing it can help. I cannot explain why it re-sets itself.....You are right, it only applies to DTV remotes. It is not indicated what remote(s) are being used.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#10 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,205 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

It turns off the IR identifier sequence, a small but noticeable gain.

While this could add a fraction of a second to the beginning of a channel change operation, the problem here represents a fraction of a minute of blank screen after the remote command has been processed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...