Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

mlb extra inning

• Please log in to reply
749 replies to this topic

#701 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,480 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:30 AM

Whatever device you're using for MLB.tv, you're lucky if you're not seeing their repetitive set of commercials during inning breaks -- I see them on both computers and when watching through my Apple TV.

I'm assuming you realize this, but for the benefit of other people reading the thread: you'd need MLB Extra Innings plus the Sports Pack in order to get the games and the pregame and postgame shows through DirecTV.

"Coming up on Rays Live, the postgame, brought to you by Checkers..."

I watch MLB-TV on my computer, Roku Box and my XBox 360, so I do see a difference between innings. I use the Roku box the most and it has very little commercials.

I have the Premier package so I get the pre and post game with DirecTV.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#702 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,482 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

I have the Premier package so I get the pre and post game with DirecTV.

Right, I probably should have said Sports Pack or Premier (which includes the Sports Pack).
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#703 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

I bought MLB premium during their special Fathers Day sale for $50 bucks . Great deal. I can stream to the TV thru Google chrome player plus take it on my phone or IPad. EI is way overpriced in my opinion when I can get everything I need for 50 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#704 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,022 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

I bought MLB premium during their special Fathers Day sale for $50 bucks . Great deal. I can stream to the TV thru Google chrome player plus take it on my phone or IPad. EI is way overpriced in my opinion when I can get everything I need for 50 bucks.

EI comes with MLB.tv, so having the better PQ of the TV version is worth the extra money to many of us.

• keenan, loudo and matty8199 like this
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#705 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 730 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

EI comes with MLB.tv, so having the better PQ of the TV version is worth the extra money to many of us.

^^ this. Just because MLB.TV is good enough for you doesn't mean its good enough for everyone.

#706 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

The PQ is excellent on my iPad where I watch most of the time anyway, and it's very good streamed to the TV via Google Chromecast. Since I already subscribe to NHL CI, I'm not into paying for another full package. But to each their own.

#707 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

The PQ is excellent on my iPad where I watch most of the time anyway, and it's very good streamed to the TV via Google Chromecast. Since I already subscribe to NHL CI, I'm not into paying for another full package. But to each their own.

It does look good on iPad but if it looks good on your tv, then you must have a small tv. Don't mislead people. The quality is not good on a big screen.
  • sigma1914 likes this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#708 OFFLINE   GlennDio

GlennDio

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

I have a FireTV and I watched a few innings last night for the first time on it (of MLB.TV) the app didn't launch with FireTV so when I saw it was finally out there I downloaded it and started watching dodgers/giants... I have several roku's (original, 2, and 3) and a WD TV live box that also plays MLB.TV.  I must say the picture quality on the fireTV was the best I have seen ... was it as good as EI from Directv?  dont know I would say that but it may be closer than ever to where the switch could be made without much pain.

I know this was brought up before but since EI comes with MLB.TV its not like you have to double pay anymore to get the mobility, actually the "gap" has never been smaller.  I will continue to buy EI and use MLB.TV when I need mobile or a feed I cant get for some reason personally, but for your friends that have to buy the cable version I would recommend a FireTV to them based on my limited use of the device.

#709 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

It does look good on iPad but if it looks good on your tv, then you must have a small tv. Don't mislead people. The quality is not good on a big screen.

How can you say what the quality is on my TV from my internet provider? I never said it was exactly the same as from EI but it is actually quite good streaming via the Google Chromecast. Have you tried the Chromecast by the way? Streams directly thru the HDMI port and is quite good. You don't know how it looks on my TV, so don't go making pronouncements.

Edited by FLWingNut, 27 July 2014 - 07:12 PM.

#710 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

How can you say what the quality is on my TV from my internet provider? I never said it was exactly the same as from EI but it is actually quite good streaming via the Google Chromecast. Have you tried the Chromecast by the way? Streams directly thru the HDMI port and is quite good. You don't know how it looks on my TV, so don't go making pronouncements.

Because it has nothing to do with your internet provider. The PQ is just not that good. No matter what bandwidth you have, as long as you have enough, that is all you get from the stream. I get the best you can and the PQ is close for static pictures. But any motion or any long views are not up to snuff at all.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#711 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

In your opinion.

#712 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

In your opinion.

Yeah. I forgot. We are on the internet where facts don't mean anything.

#713 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

Yeah. I forgot. We are on the internet where facts don't mean anything.

Agreed as a long time sub of both packages THE EI product is far superior in Picture Quality.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#714 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

What "facts" are we discussing? I said the picture quality on my TV was very good. That's a subjective opinion. Since you've never seen my TV or the picture on it, you can have no opinion on it. I never said it was the same as EI or that everyone would find it very good in their situation. It is for me, and 50 bucks is a great value. I don't care if you agree and never asked you to. Maybe it's time for reading comprehension class for you. I never stated any objective facts, only my opinion.

#715 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

What "facts" are we discussing? I said the picture quality on my TV was very good. That's a subjective opinion. Since you've never seen my TV or the picture on it, you can have no opinion on it. I never said it was the same as EI or that everyone would find it very good in their situation. It is for me, and 50 bucks is a great value. I don't care if you agree and never asked you to. Maybe it's time for reading comprehension class for you. I never stated any objective facts, only my opinion.

Good you recognize that. But you stated it originally in a way that someone who is making a decision may say "the quality is near as good" when it is not factually not. If you are willing to live with the difference, that is opinion and taste and that is all fine and good.

BTW, you said the quality was very good. That is not an opinion. That is a quantitative judgement that others may use incorrectly.

As long as we both understand (and others do as well), that the PQ is not the same and that it is a choice you made for yourself, fine. Especially on a forum that frets over PQ on a daily basis.

#716 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Very good means different things to different people. To my eye on my TV the PQ IS very good . There are no "facts" to disprove that. It's not that much different to me than EI, certainly not enough to justify the huge disparity of cost, in my opinion. But again, that's me. YMMV.

#717 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

Very good means different things to different people. To my eye on my TV the PQ IS very good . There are no "facts" to disprove that. It's not that much different to me than EI, certainly not enough to justify the huge disparity of cost, in my opinion. But again, that's me. YMMV.

There are facts (like bandwidth, etc) but if you are happy, good for you.

I used to pay for both (since I go to games a lot and travel a bit), but with the dual package of EI having all MLB.tv access, buying EI is a no brainer for me. The extra cost is minimal and I get the best PQ I can given the circumstances (mobile or not).

The archived games are a plus for MLB.tv (go back and watch something that happened in context rather than just a highlight package).

#718 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

As I recall, technically MLB.TV uses about half the bandwidth the DirecTV uses, so it is a definite fact that the PQ won't be as good, based solely on that.

Whether you notice a difference or not is an entirely different matter.  Considering the bit rate MLB.TV uses, their PQ is actually pretty good, if not excellent.  A lot of people will be satisfied with that, but others won't be.  Just like many people don't like Comcast's over -compression of HD channels, but others have no problem with it and can't tell a difference.  It doesn't mean their eyesight is poor.  It just means they aren't sensitive to the difference in quality.

Personally, I prefer to watch games via EI than MLB.TV, but not because of PQ.  I find using DVR controls on DirecTV to be much easier than through MLB.TV, at least with the devices I've tried it with to date.  Perhaps if I find another device which I can control more easily and comfortably, I might change my mind, but I haven't found it yet, nor am I about to spend money on a new device just to see if it's better.  I do use MLB.TV if I'm not near my TV or if I need to see something I didn't record, but for my general baseball viewing I stick with EI.  That's my choice, and I will not tell anyone else they should do the same.

#719 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

As I recall, technically MLB.TV uses about half the bandwidth the DirecTV uses, so it is a definite fact that the PQ won't be as good, based solely on that.

Whether you notice a difference or not is an entirely different matter.  Considering the bit rate MLB.TV uses, their PQ is actually pretty good, if not excellent.  A lot of people will be satisfied with that, but others won't be.  Just like many people don't like Comcast's over -compression of HD channels, but others have no problem with it and can't tell a difference.  It doesn't mean their eyesight is poor.  It just means they aren't sensitive to the difference in quality.

Personally, I prefer to watch games via EI than MLB.TV, but not because of PQ.  I find using DVR controls on DirecTV to be much easier than through MLB.TV, at least with the devices I've tried it with to date.  Perhaps if I find another device which I can control more easily and comfortably, I might change my mind, but I haven't found it yet, nor am I about to spend money on a new device just to see if it's better.  I do use MLB.TV if I'm not near my TV or if I need to see something I didn't record, but for my general baseball viewing I stick with EI.  That's my choice, and I will not tell anyone else they should do the same.

It also matters on your viewing situation. I have a 65 inch TV about 8 ft from my viewing area. EI looks great. MLB.tv, not so much. When my TV was 50 inches, MLB looked a lot better (still not quite good enough but a lot less annoying).

Agree on other issues. DVR control. The lack of commercials on MLB.tv drives me nuts. There is no way of telling when the game is coming back and it often makes me jump when it does.

Still, I love MLB.tv. I have had it for a long time. Don't misunderstand my critiques. They are just different products and I am glad they are bundled now. They have different strengths.

#720 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

One game got by the blackout guys tonight.

Reds - Rockies, 2nd game of the DH is on 661 in glorious SD ! :)

Not on 661-1 or 683.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...