Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is There A Roku Or Similar Streaming Device That Works With DISH Anywhere?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

I have a DISH 722k and use both a Sling Adapter and a Slingbox PRO HD.  I am considering a Roku or similar type of streaming device and I am just wondering if any of them with work with either the DISH Anywhere or SlingPlayer applications? 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

I did some more research and it looks like I can use SlingPlayer on one of the follwoing devices:

#3 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

I have a 922 and the older hopper with USB sling box from dish.... I use my phones hdmi output( galaxy note 2) a Toshiba tablet with hdmi outputs, and android mini pc that hooks to my TVs hdmi... Your limited to dish anywhere and the free aps.... Or the sling stand alone and pay 14.99 for each device...

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

While you can get Slingplayer for several devices, I'm not sure that all of them are compatible with the Sling adapter.  For the same reason that you can't use dishanywhere.com with a Slingbox, you may not be able to use some versions of Slingplayer with a Sling adapter.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Slingplayer - for the ProHD does have an app on a few devices. Roku isn't really one of them as you might think. That app for some reason only allows you to stream your Slingbox from a mobile device to the roku, and thus your TV.

The Netgear players are actual full apps - you can watch your slingbox right from the app on them just as if you were on the computer using slingplayer or from the Sling site. I do not know about the other players though I believe the WD players are also full apps.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

The Roku is clearly not there yet and the advertising is more than a little misleading as tampa8 points out.

My recollection is that they've essentially done away with the Logitech Revue version.

• tampa8 likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

You might want to look at the Vulkano Flow. It is relatively cheap, a bit tricky to set up, and the iPad app sucks. But the image quality is surprisingly good. The Mac and Windows apps are OK.

#8 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:09 AM

That won't help the OP. It's also not as versatile as the Sling family is.

#9 OFFLINE   comizzou573

comizzou573

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:31 AM

dish should add a roku app to the dish hopper w/sling, then we can subscribe to aereo local channels

Edited by comizzou573, 07 February 2014 - 01:55 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

I bought both a Netgear NeoTV and a Roku 3.  Despite having SlingPlayer on the Netgear, the Roku 3 is a much better device.

#11 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

True, but the WD player live I posted about does have the app, and is much better than the NEO, though not as many apps available yet as the Roku. I now use the WD player all the time for my slingboxes the picture is better than you would expect. (Of course internet speed must be enough)

• aaronbud likes this

#12 OFFLINE   aaronbud

aaronbud

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

I just ordered the sling adapter for my 722k, and I already have a WDTV live. Looking forward to using the SlingPlayer app on the wdtv on my back patio hdtv! Hopefully this is the wireless solution I have been looking for.

• CeeWoo likes this
Aaron Lewis
Sacramento, Ca
Dish Network Since '97

#13 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 04 March 2014 - 07:53 AM

Slingplayer - for the ProHD does have an app on a few devices. Roku isn't really one of them as you might think. That app for some reason only allows you to stream your Slingbox from a mobile device to the roku, and thus your TV.

This is why I personally think the Roku Slingbox channel is almost worthless. For one thing, it works only with the wireless connection enabled. If your Roku is connected hard-wired like my two are (primarily because my UVerse wireless router really sucks), the Sling Player channel won't work. Second, you have to fire up Sling Player on your phone, then tune to the Roku channel and hope the connection is good enough to watch. (Get ready for some incessant buffering!)

What a HUGE thing it would be if Roku would simply have a true Sling channel, effectively turning that channel into an embedded Slingbox. 

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#14 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Wishful thinking, I'm sure.

Sent from my EVO using DBSTalk mobile app

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#15 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:44 AM

I have a DISH 722k and use both a Sling Adapter and a Slingbox PRO HD.  I am considering a Roku or similar type of streaming device and I am just wondering if any of them with work with either the DISH Anywhere or SlingPlayer applications? 

I want one!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:05 PM

I just ordered the sling adapter for my 722k, and I already have a WDTV live. Looking forward to using the SlingPlayer app on the wdtv on my back patio hdtv!

I was under the impression that the Slingplayer software wasn't compatible with the Sling Adapter. Is that not the case?

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:57 AM

I'd love one.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#18 ONLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 471 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

You might want to look at the Vulkano Flow. It is relatively cheap, a bit tricky to set up, and the iPad app sucks. But the image quality is surprisingly good. The Mac and Windows apps are OK.

How is Vulkano Flow set up with a Dish Anywhere?

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

#19 OFFLINE   jeremybe

jeremybe

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

Ok, So I'm a little confused here - ANY help would be appreciated - I have both a Dish Hopper with Sling and one without Sling - Dish forces us to use the Dish Anywhere app/web site as opposed to the Sling Player app - I have a second home and I'm trying to use Dish Anywhere from my hopper to stream TV at this location 2 -3 days a month - Using the Dish Anywhere app on the iPhone, Dish has disabled Video over Airplay to my Apple TV in the app and only sends Audio - Yet the Stand alone Sling Player app works with Airplay just fine but does not work with the Hopper with Sling built in-  What are my options?

I can build a Home Theatre PC for the sole purpose of running the Dish Anywhere Web site - Expensive and crazy just for this

Can I add a Sling Adapter to my non-sling Hopper and use the Sling App?  Would that work?

Are there any other options?  I really HATE the way Dish is restricting this app

Thanks for your help!

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

I can't speak to the specifics of the Hopper w/ Sling and your problems with Airplay...  but Hopper w/ Sling and Hopper + Sling Adapter have the same problem... being that they do not support the Slingplayer software.  You have to use the specific Dish app for those.

Now... you could buy a standard Slingbox and connect that to your Hopper... and then use Slingplayer software for that.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall