Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Use iPhone hotspot as internet source for DTV?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cfclay

cfclay

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

I have an iPhone hotspot that has a robust 20-30 GB/s and an unlimited plan. Can this be used for my internet connection for my Directv reciever and also for my GenieGo?

The Geniego has a USB port in the front- I was curious what this for- might it work for USB tethering to complete the connect to the receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,035 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

20-30 GB/s? I think you mean 20-30 Mb/s...but what does four orders of magnitude matter, anyway? :)

Not sure who your carrier is, but you might find your "unlimited" plan isn't as unlimited as you think if you started streaming a movie or two a night! I'm not aware of any carrier in US that has truly has unlimited cellular data without something in the fine print about throttling or otherwise limiting your use in some way.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   cfclay

cfclay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

20-30 GB/s? I think you mean 20-30 Mb/s...but what does four orders of magnitude matter, anyway? :)

Not sure who your carrier is, but you might find your "unlimited" plan isn't as unlimited as you think if you started streaming a movie or two a night! I'm not aware of any carrier in US that has truly has unlimited cellular data without something in the fine print about throttling or otherwise limiting your use in some way.

Correct- 20+ Mbps . Well, I've used as much as 170 GB in one month.....I think it's okay. Let me also put it another way that many can say as well- I've only spent $20,000 with this carrier in ten years..... They'll be okay with the usage ;)

I just moved in the last 8 months to an area with fire blazing speeds is why the change to attempt to get by without an internet provider.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

The first question is, after the above, can you do anything else off the phone's hotspot? Tethering costs extra; may not be cost effective. 

Do you need this or are you just curious if it's possible? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,493 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

The DVRs are designed with having a 24\7 connection to the internet, so unless you leave the iPhone as a permanent modem, then it may not work.

If you leave the iPhone as a permeant modem an you get an gaming adapter for the GenieGO, then you may be in business.  note that the iPhone can only support up to 5 devices on tethering mode.

• cfclay likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   cfclay

cfclay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

Tethering doesn't cost me extra, and I have 5 lines for business. I have a dedicated line for internet that doesn't leave the house, if I can achieve this - I am dropping my home internet. This hotspot has been 100% reliable so far.

#7 OFFLINE   cfclay

cfclay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

The DVRs are designed with having a 24\7 connection to the internet, so unless you leave the iPhone as a permanent modem, then it may not work.

If you leave the iPhone as a permeant modem an you get an gaming adapter for the GenieGO, then you may be in business. note that the iPhone can only support up to 5 devices on tethering mode.

What's a gaming adaptor? I have no idea what that is :(

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,493 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

the GenieGO only gets connected to an ethernet port, thus you need a way to connect the GenieGO using wireless since the Apple decided not to include an ethernet port on their iPhones, a gaming adapter accomplishes this.  Although not sure that OOH will work  since you would have to forward ports and there is no way to do that with the iPhone that I am aware of

• cfclay likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   cfclay

cfclay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

the GenieGO only gets connected to an ethernet port, thus you need a way to connect the GenieGO using wireless since the Apple decided not to include an ethernet port on their iPhones, a gaming adapter accomplishes this. Although not sure that OOH will work since you would have to forward ports and there is no way to do that with the iPhone that I am aware of

What's that USB port on the front for?

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,493 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

What's that USB port on the front for?

adding storage, like a thumb drive

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

What carrier do you have is what I want to know. ;)

I honestly say I think you need to just give it a shot and see. I see no reason it won't work based in what you said but I don't think anyone's ever done it before.

#12 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,185 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

A Linksys WGA 600n or WET 610n should be able to connect to the hotspot and then Ethernet to the DVR and GG.  If both get addresses, you should be OK.  Does put a damper on using OOH on the phone!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Tethering doesn't cost me extra, and I have 5 lines for business. I have a dedicated line for internet that doesn't leave the house, if I can achieve this - I am dropping my home internet. This hotspot has been 100% reliable so far.

Well, there ya go! How do you get free tethering?

And, fiive lines? Telephone lines? How does that play in to tethering or your iPhone? 

#14 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 297 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

What carrier do you have is what I want to know. ;)

I'm betting he has AT&T and has had an iPhone on the account since an early iteration of the iPhone.  My wife has had iPhones forever and still has legacy "unlimited" data with AT&T. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,035 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

I'm betting he has AT&T and has had an iPhone on the account since an early iteration of the iPhone.  My wife has had iPhones forever and still has legacy "unlimited" data with AT&T. 

Those who grandfathered into the AT&T unlimited data have to pay full price for a new phone and can't activate tethering AFAIK.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   cfclay

cfclay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Well this is not a phone forum… So I won't bore everyone, but there are many ways you can get free tetheringp. Also like I said, I have a large family I haves five lines… And I have spent a time of money with this com

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

I would appreciate your answering the questions I posed. 

#18 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:24 PM

You could get the Genie Go 2 which has coax connections then you wouldn't need an ethernet connection. If the iPhone stays there all the time it will work fine.

#19 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

Those who grandfathered into the AT&T unlimited data have to pay full price for a new phone and can't activate tethering AFAIK.

Not true. I upgrade my iPhone every time one comes out at the upgrade price and I activated tethering without a problem.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,493 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

You could get the Genie Go 2 which has coax connections then you wouldn't need an ethernet connection. If the iPhone stays there all the time it will work fine.

Only if the geniego2 was available now, which is not and there is no launch date yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall