Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Use iPhone hotspot as internet source for DTV?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,749 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

You could get the Genie Go 2 which has coax connections then you wouldn't need an ethernet connection. If the iPhone stays there all the time it will work fine.

and even then, if you want to use the genigo2 as a CCK, you still and ethernet connection or a CCK-W or an ethernet bridge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Yes he will need a WCCK as well to get the internet connected and GG2 will be "soon" lol.

#23 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,413 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

Not true. I upgrade my iPhone every time one comes out at the upgrade price and I activated tethering without a problem.

I meant that if you are grandfathered into the unlimited plan on AT&T you can't activate tethering and in order to keep the grandfathered plan you have to pay full price.

Other carriers may have different policies.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#24 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

I meant that if you are grandfathered into the unlimited plan on AT&T you can't activate tethering and in order to keep the grandfathered plan you have to pay full price.

Actually, Verizon Wireless is the carrier that requires you pay the full retail no-commitment pricing for new phones to retain the unlimited data plan. AT&T has not implemented this policy.

http://bits.blogs.ny...red-data-plans/

http://bgr.com/2012/...ited-data-plan/

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

Topic is fine. May be in wrong forum, but there's no limitation on questions and answers that deal with the digital domain. Please leave moderation to the moderators. 

That said, I'd appreciate a reply from the OP. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Yes, I am grandfathered in to the unlimited plan and upgrade every time a new iPhone comes out and I have tethering on both of my iPhones on the account.

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Yes, I am grandfathered in to the unlimited plan and upgrade every time a new iPhone comes out and I have tethering on both of my iPhones on the account.

But there's a surcharge for your tethers, no? (I have a grandfathered ATT data plan, x texts)

#28 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,316 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Is there a difference between Tether and HotSpot and how does it vary by providers?  I have Sprint with HotSpot activated on my phone. I think it is an extra $30 per month.

#29 OFFLINE   cfclay

cfclay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

I would appreciate your answering the questions I posed.

I have sprint, my plan is unlimited, I have a iPhone that I have dedicated to tethering home wifi. You can jailbreak your phone and get free wifi, I have been a customer of Sprint for ten years. There are many users with old plans that have unlimited

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#30 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

Thank you!

#31 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

But there's a surcharge for your tethers, no? (I have a grandfathered ATT data plan, x texts)

$15 per month for tether with unlimited data and they let me upgrade all the time and just extend contract.

#32 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

then you are lucky or bypassing the normal tethering methods for the Iphone, the tos and fup for the att unlimited plan does not allow tethering, they can and will switch you to a plan that you can contractually utilize tethering. In addition att will throttle the transfer speed of the discontinued and grandfathered unlimited plan once you exceed the limits of 3GB for 3G and 5GB for LTE, these speeds will be dropped to below edge transfer rates. Checked with my business representative at att commercial and they never heard of paying additional to tether - and she has been with att for 15 years

#33 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Checked with my business representative at att commercial and they never heard of paying additional to tether - and she has been with att for 15 years

I know people that have had their jobs for 15 years and still don't know everything about their jobs so that statement means absolutely nothing to me.

I switch the plan online all the time on 1 of the iPhones because tethering is not needed but a couple of months out of the year and when I switch the plan online it is listed as

Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE Enterprise $45.00 NA Unlimited                                 Select   

The $45.00 plans allows tethering on my iPhone and when I switch it off for the one iPhone I go to.

$30.00
NA
Unlimited
Current

You see it is $15 difference in the 2 both unlimited and I switch them at will whenever I want to. I have had this account since 1990 maybe I'm special.  :shrug:

#34 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Usually unlimited is only for the device. And often times when you add tethering the name of the plan doesn't indicate that you don't get unlimited for tethered devices. Sprint at one point was something like 5gigs for tethering as I recall on an unlimited data plan. So I can see why people get confused and question everything in all directions because every plan is so different

#35 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

Usually unlimited is only for the device. And often times when you add tethering the name of the plan doesn't indicate that you don't get unlimited for tethered devices. Sprint at one point was something like 5gigs for tethering as I recall on an unlimited data plan. So I can see why people get confused and question everything in all directions because every plan is so different

Right T-Mobile for example gives you truly unlimited on your iPhone but only 2.5 gigs of tethering.  I found out the hard way as one day my son blew right pass that in a few hours watching YouTube videos.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#36 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:24 PM

I know people that have had their jobs for 15 years and still don't know everything about their jobs so that statement means absolutely nothing to me.

I switch the plan online all the time on 1 of the iPhones because tethering is not needed but a couple of months out of the year and when I switch the plan online it is listed as

Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE Enterprise $45.00 NA Unlimited                                 Select   

The $45.00 plans allows tethering on my iPhone and when I switch it off for the one iPhone I go to.

$30.00
NA
Unlimited
Current

You see it is $15 difference in the 2 both unlimited and I switch them at will whenever I want to. I have had this account since 1990 maybe I'm special.  :shrug:

you will be gigged at 5GB for LTE per current terms of service and fair use policy. and they have been discontinued since around 2009 for new customers, existing customers retain them until they decide to remove them

#37 OFFLINE   cfclay

cfclay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:36 PM

Just curious.... Are we all using the term tethering to mean the same as wifi hotspot?

That's what I meant anyway- wifi hot spot. Used about 30 gb this month so far. No extra charge. Maybe because I'm lucky, maybe because I've spent almost 25k with them in ten years. Who knows

#38 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Just curious.... Are we all using the term tethering to mean the same as wifi hotspot?

That's what I meant anyway- wifi hot spot. Used about 30 gb this month so far. No extra charge. Maybe because I'm lucky, maybe because I've spent almost 25k with them in ten years. Who knows

Yes hotspot is what I am talking about and I also go over 5Gb EVERY month and they never say anything or slow me down. I have only used 30gb a few months out of the year most of the time I use around 10-15gb.

#39 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,749 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:01 PM

on an smartphone sharing the internet concoction is known as "tethering"  a Wi-Fi "hotspot" is just anyplace that provides wireless internet access.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#40 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

Or sharing the internet connection! Peds is quite right; they are very different....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...