Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Use iPhone hotspot as internet source for DTV?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

Or sharing the internet connection! Peds is quite right; they are very different....

Actually they are the same by definition tethering over wifi is known as a mobile hotspot.

"If tethering is done over Wi-Fi, the feature may be branded as a Mobile Hotspot."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,910 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

Actually they are the same by definition tethering over wifi is known as a mobile hotspot.

"If tethering is done over Wi-Fi, the feature may be branded as a Mobile Hotspot."

Right, but while a Wi-Fi hotspot may include an smartphone, Smartphone tethering using bluetooth is not.  So when you mentioned tethering, and smartphone (or tablet) is involved, the same can't be said about a 'hotspot" 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#43 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,965 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

Wiki is the source for this definitive statement?? They also headed the article with:

This article is about Wi-Fi fixed hotspots. For hotspots running on a mobile telephone, see tethering. For other uses, see Hotspot (disambiguation).

They are not the same to most people. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#44 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

Wiki is the source for this definitive statement?? They also headed the article with:
This article is about Wi-Fi fixed hotspots. For hotspots running on a mobile telephone, see tethering. For other uses, see Hotspot (disambiguation).

They are not the same to most people.

yep, exactly my thinking, thanks for the link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#45 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

Usually with a cellular phone if the device is connected using a cable or bluetooth it is considered tethering.  If the cellular phone is broadcasting a wifi signal that can be connected to by multiple devices it is considered being a hot spot.  So since the OP would be connecting to his phone using WiFi I too would consider this as being used as a hot spot.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#46 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

Usually with a cellular phone if the device is connected using a cable or bluetooth it is considered tethering.  If the cellular phone is broadcasting a wifi signal that can be connected to by multiple devices it is considered being a hot spot.  So since the OP would be connecting to his phone using WiFi I too would consider this as being used as a hot spot.

Right, but the point is/was that tethering was only hotspot as well, which is not 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#47 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Now that we've got the tethering/hotspot and Cellular provider stuff out of the way I guess we could get back to the original question.

Yes I think everything could be made to work as long as you are aware of the possibility of running into data plan issues.

That said have you thought about getting one of these (or one of the other devices like it) and using it instead of a jailbroken iPhone.  Seems like it would be a bit cleaner, and you might be able to configure port forwarding etc with it.

http://shop.sprint.c...abId=dt_mbc=

As far as the Genie Go, I'm wondering if you could hook it up to the ethernet port of a WCCK, anyone here ever try that?  Hooking it up to the WCCK would give it access to your DECA cloud and therefore all his DVRs and Genie.  Then the WCCK would hook up over WiFi to his iPhone hot spot.  Or does hooking up an ethernet cable to the WCCK turn off it's WiFi?

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#48 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

the GenieGO only gets connected to an ethernet port, thus you need a way to connect the GenieGO using wireless since the Apple decided not to include an ethernet port on their iPhones, a gaming adapter accomplishes this.  Although not sure that OOH will work  since you would have to forward ports and there is no way to do that with the iPhone that I am aware of

Now that we've got the tethering/hotspot and Cellular provider stuff out of the way I guess we could get back to the original question.

As far as the Genie Go, I'm wondering if you could hook it up to the ethernet port of a WCCK, anyone here ever try that?  Hooking it up to the WCCK would give it access to your DECA cloud and therefore all his DVRs and Genie.  Then the WCCK would hook up over WiFi to his iPhone hot spot.  Or does hooking up an ethernet cable to the WCCK turn off it's WiFi?

Yup, I mentioned this way back at the beginning of the tread.  But note that since there is a lack of and "advanced" router, i will doubt OOH will work 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#49 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

Yeah I knew you had mentioned a gaming adapter, but hadn't seen any mention of just using a DirecTV WCCK.  Its a little different from a gaming adapter, so I thought I would mention it.  I'm not 100% sure if it would work though.

-by Jack Handy

#50 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

A gaming adapter and the CCK-W is pretty much the same thing.  the CCK-W has the addition of DECA which is this case is not needed as all the GG needs is a connection to the customer's network.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#51 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

The Genie Go also has to be connected to the DECA network somehow.  Either the DECA network needs it's own connection to his WiFi hot spot so they can talk together over it, or it must be connected directly to the coax network.  Otherwise it can't see his DVRs or their recordings.

-by Jack Handy

#52 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

The Genie Go also has to be connected to the DECA network somehow.  

No it does not.  the GG1 connects to the customer network,(LAN)  the receiver (or DirecTV system) must connect to the customer network (LAN) in order to see the GG1.  DECA "network" or "cloud" as far as GG is concerned is not involved.  

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#53 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,965 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

Well, it certainly needs to be connected to the Home LAN, but at some point it needs to phone home, doesn't it? (I am not at home and cannot test.) If so, then a line to the outside world needs to be operable. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#54 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,816 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

Semantics.  It's connected to the same network one way or the other.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#55 OFFLINE   cfclay

cfclay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Thanks All. This doesn't appear to work. I tried going all weekend without broadband internet and I didn't realize how many things I have hooked up to the internet at one time (more than 5)

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#56 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

The DVRs are designed with having a 24\7 connection to the internet, so unless you leave the iPhone as a permanent modem, then it may not work.

If you leave the iPhone as a permeant modem an you get an gaming adapter for the GenieGO, then you may be in business.  note that the iPhone can only support up to 5 devices on tethering mode.

Thanks All. This doesn't appear to work. I tried going all weekend without broadband internet and I didn't realize how many things I have hooked up to the internet at one time (more than 5)

That was part of my first post

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#57 OFFLINE   cfclay

cfclay

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationLittle Rock

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Yep. I thought I could get by, but at times I probably had ten devices on my wifi.

Edited by cfclay, 18 February 2014 - 08:40 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...