Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR44 Genie self install

self install Genie HR44 SWM

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PeteB

PeteB

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFalcon, Colorado Springs

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

What we've got:

3 LNB SlimLine

SWM8, circa 2008

two 2-way splitters

blue-insert F couplers

two HR24-500

HR21-200 

HR20-700 

PHONCON with D* stating that we are eligible for a free Genie upgrade

What we additionally want:

HR44

RC71 :barf:

SWM16 & new power supply

2-way splitter

No one arriving at a "random" time to disconnect everything while the Olympics are recording

I also understand that an appointment to have an installer show up with "ah Genie" in no way guarantees a 44 vice 34, and despite my trepidation about the new remote, it is pretty clear that the 44 is the one we should want.

We've moved once since first subscribing, and other than the dishes at both houses and the HR21 that the first installer brought, everything else has been self-procured and self-installed, including WHDVR/MRV (on cat-5e).

So my questions are:

Are there versions or revisions of the SMW16 that tune more quickly than others?

Is there truly no difference between the HR44-700/500/200, including ease/issues with upgrading the internal hard drive?  (I would never violate a contract.)

All three have Wi-Fi that can bridge WHDVR/MRV network to the InterWebs (temporarily)?

With whom do I speak to get the above gear we desire just shipped to us, saving D* a truck roll and me from their bad timing?  I would also be willing to just go pick it up locally somewhere.

If you guys want to start another circular discussion about 34 vs. 44, that's fine with me, as I have a bit to add.

Thanks!

Pete

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

The SWM16 is all the same, tuning speed is set by the receiver

To the best of my knowledge there are no significant differences between the manufacturers of the HR44.  You said you will never violate a contract, therefore upgrading an internal HD is a moot point. External drives work great. The WiFi is for connecting internet to the DirecTV network, I doubt it will work for WH. 

With everything you need DirecTV will never just ship it to you.  You could obtain ti from a 3rd party such as Solid Signal but that would not be free.  You may be able to get a credit to offset some of the "purchase" cost but there is no guarantee.

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   PeteB

PeteB

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts
  • LocationFalcon, Colorado Springs

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

Sorry, I should clarify the Wi-Fi question.

I have all DVR's networked to each other on a NETGEAR GS116 switch, to which the Genie would also be connected, but a wiring problem has spontaneously appeared preventing it from connecting to our router.

So until I can resolve this problem, can I connect the Genie's Ethernet port to the switch with the DVR's while simultaneously connecting it wirelessly to the router, thereby bridging all DVR's to the internet?

Pete

#4 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

I dont think that will work but I am not 100% sure.  I know if you are using the supported coax networking then you can use the WiFi to connect internet to all the receivers but I dont think both WiFi and wired Ethernet can be active at the same time.  Personally I would switch to the supported coax networking, all you would need are DECA modules for the HR20 and HR21

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

I dont think that will work but I am not 100% sure.  I know if you are using the supported coax networking then you can use the WiFi to connect internet to all the receivers but I dont think both WiFi and wired Ethernet can be active at the same time.  Personally I would switch to the supported coax networking, all you would need are DECA modules for the HR20 and HR21

Yep, you can use either one but not both,  connecting an ethernet disables the WiFI

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:40 PM

I agree, there is no way DirecTV will just ship everything you need. I also agree totally with advice to switch over to coax networking, then the HR44 can absolutely be the bridge for internet access to all of your other devices (whether you connect it wired or wireless to your LAN).

If an installer shows up with a 34, you can ask for a 44 and if he doesn't have one you can cancel or reschedule. But as noted, there is no guarantee of what model you might get without buying (leasing) from a 3rd party vendor.

Unless you can somehow find a legitimately owned HR44 someplace (very unlikely) to buy (or pay DirecTV "full price" to own, whatever that is), you can't replace the internal drive without violating the terms of service. The hardest part about replacing the internal drive is removing the cover without damaging it, I think there are some threads on this forum someplace about doing that.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

With whom do I speak to get the above gear we desire just shipped to us, saving D* a truck roll and me from their bad timing?  I would also be willing to just go pick it up locally somewhere.

Thanks!

unfortunately DirecTV is not for DIYs.  However, the good news is that there are a websites dedicated just for folks like yourself.  It won't be free tho!

www.solidsignal.com

www.eBay.com

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: self install, Genie, HR44, SWM

spam firewall