Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Powerline died, how to install CCK

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

This week's ice storm in PA fried my old DTV powerline Ethernet adapter.  I was using this to connect my HR34 to my wireless router in another room.  I also have a HR20-700 that connects to MRV via DECA.  I know this isn't a recommended setup, but it has worked flawlessly for me since May 2013.  That is when my Genie was installed, as part of a free upgrade.  Prior to the Genie install, I also used the powerline adaptor to connect the HR20 to the internet, and I didn't have MRV.  This worked for me for many years. 

By "fried" I mean that the powerline adapter (power strip) has power to the unit (red power light is on), but the little green light doesn't light up when an Ethernet cable is connected.  The powerline adapter on the router side is still working, all lights are on.  I have repeatedly tried to connect to the internet, with no success.

The tech that installed the Genie didn't install the CCK, he just connected the Genie to the powerline adapter.  Then he put the DECA on the back of the HR20, which was moved to a bedroom from the family room.  The HR20 has dropped from the network a handful of times in 9 months, but always reconnected with a reboot.  The HR34 never had a problem with the network connection.  My son uses VOD a lot on one of the Genie clients, and while I don't have any basis of comparison regarding speed, it worked fine.

My question is, do I now need a wireless CCK to connect the Genie to the internet?  Do I need anything else?  Is that a plug and play item that I just connect the Ethernet cable to, and then re-run the network setup?  Will anything have to change with the HR20 in the bedroom? 

It is not an option to hardwire the HR34 to the router.  Is the wireless CCK as good or better of a connection as the powerline was?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,897 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

The wireless CCK can connect either in-line any coax in your DECA cloud or on an unused splitter port / coax.

Once connected, it will show up on an HR menu and can be connected to your G or hopefully N network.

And it should be better than your Powerline.

It can also replace a DECA on an HR2x and do double duty.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but you lost me with the lingo there. I don't know what you mean when you say "any coax in your DECA cloud or on an unused splitter port / coax."  Where is the coax coming from/going to?  What is my DECA cloud?

I thought the wireless CCK was an adapter that the HR34 will connect to via Ethernet cable.  Doesn't the CCK then talk to the router, and the internet connection is established?  Are you saying that the CCK will need to connect somehow via coax to work with my setup?  If so, can you spell that out for me?  Thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

the 34 will connect via coax to the WCCK.

The WCCK has a coax "in & out" so you can connect it before the 34 on the same coax, "or" on another coax run that might be closer to your router.

While not a 34, this post shows the WCCK on the same coax:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ages/?p=2845014

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

So, in order for my MRV to work, I need to install the WCCK via the coax, not via the Ethernet?  Is this because I have the HR20 with a DECA in my setup? 

I understand now what you mean that I would connect the WCCK before the HR34.  I guess that is how I'll have to do it, since in my office where the router is, both coax feeds are already in use.  One feeds the cable modem for my broadband connection, the other feeds a R16 where I have a SD TV. 

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,265 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

I understand now what you mean that I would connect the WCCK before the HR34.  I guess that is how I'll have to do it, since in my office where the router is, both coax feeds are already in use.  One feeds the cable modem for my broadband connection, the other feeds a R16 where I have a SD TV. 

Then you are a perfect candidate for a wired set up, no need for wireless.  just get a 2 way splitter and a DECA broadband adapter and connect both the R16 an DECA BB  to the 2 way.  DECA BB connects to your router with ethernet cable 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

So, in order for my MRV to work, I need to install the WCCK via the coax, not via the Ethernet?  Is this because I have the HR20 with a DECA in my setup? 

You can connect the WCCK via ethernet to the HR34 it will do the same thing as the coax connection method and will bridge any other Receiver in your setup with a DECA to the internet. You could also do as peds suggest run the coax from the R16 into the WCCK then short coax from the WCCK into the R16 then ethernet directly to your modem from the WCCK this will also bridge all of your DECA connected IRD's.

#8 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

Ok, I think I understand what peds and west are saying. Is the wired option, using the R16's coax, best? I called and ordered a CCK today. If I connect coax in to CCK and then out to R16, and then Ethernet to router, that should work for me? That doesn't bring the R16 into the Whole Home mix, does it? I didn't think that model had the capability to be on the MRV network. Do I need a DECA adapter also in the wired setup? Peds mentioned it, but west did not, so I'm a little confused on that. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#9 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

You should have a band stop filter on the R16 and Deca on the HR20 no DECA on 34. The Wcck has the coax passthrough the wired doesn't if you get the latter then you will need a 2 way splitter.

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,188 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

The CCK is a DECA that connects to your router from any any LAN jack on your home LAN network.

The Genies & HR24/H24/H25s have built in DECAs. Older STBs have stand alone DECAs attached to 'em. 

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#11 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Which option will likely give me the best internet connectivity, or at least no worse than I had with the Powerline connection?

A. HR34 Ethernet to CCK --> wireless to router (approx 20 ft away, through multiple walls), or

B. R16 coax to CCK --> wired Ethernet to router (I would have to purchase a band stop filter for this option)

Is one of these much more likely to have better results (for both reliability and speed), or is it likely negligible? I'm of a mind that wired is always better, but I really don't know if that holds true in this case.

#12 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

You will most likely not notice any difference in speed, but wired should be more reliable.  That said I don't think we have had too many people complain about the WCCK dropping from wireless, and when it does it is usually a router problem and not caused by the WCCK.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,265 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

I will go with "B" nothing beats a good hard wired connection 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

You might try it without the filter since you don't yet have one. I used a HR20 without a filter for several months (and I still don't have one on my SWM). I never noticed any problems with this, although maybe I was just lucky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using DBSTalk mobile app

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

You might try it without the filter since you don't yet have one. I used a HR20 without a filter for several months (and I still don't have one on my SWM). I never noticed any problems with this, although maybe I was just lucky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using DBSTalk mobile app

While I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

I admit to experimenting with this myself once with an R16 without a BSF on a WH network just to see if there would be any interference to the R16's tuner from the strong off frequency MoCA network signal.

None was noticed in over a day of testing. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#16 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:59 PM

So I received the CCK today and installed it at the HR34, using the Ethernet cable from HR34 to CCK, then wireless connection from CCK to router. Had no problems connecting, and everything seemed to be working fine. Rebooted the GenieGo, which is connected to router via Ethernet cable in office. Launched the GG app, and at first it only found the HR20's playlist, but after I quit and relaunched app, it then found the HR34. So all was good, I thought. At the time, I did not check any of the clients or the HR20 itself. I could see the HR20's playlist from the HR34.

Several hours later, I went to watch TV at a Genie client location. Got a message saying it found no servers, with the option to try again. Tried a few times with same result. Rebooted client, same result. Not a believer in coincidences when it comes to electronics, I thought this must be related to the CCK, although I have no idea why. Anyway, I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the CCK, and after a few seconds, the client came on. Repeated this a few times, and checked the other 2 clients, all with same result. Checked the HR20, it was also not seeing the HR34 when CCK was connected. I also rebooted the router, same result.

So the CCK wireless connection is disabling Whole Home, but I'm not sure why. Could it have something to do with the GenieGo, which is hard-wired to the router? Or is there some other interference at play? I am not tech savvy when it comes to routers, so I don't know of anything there I can try. Please help! Thanks.

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,177 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

Sounds like an ip issue. Plug in everything then reset network defaults for all hrs. Then reboot everything including your router. That'd be what I would try. Not one just some at a time.

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

So I received the CCK today and installed it at the HR34, using the Ethernet cable from HR34 to CCK, then wireless connection from CCK to router. Had no problems connecting, and everything seemed to be working fine.

I don't see why you'd use ethernet between the 34 & CCK.

The CCK & 34 connect via coax.

"perhaps" the double link is the problem

A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,188 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

So I received the CCK today and installed it at the HR34, using the Ethernet cable from HR34 to CCK, then wireless connection from CCK to router. Had no problems connecting, and everything seemed to be working fine. Rebooted the GenieGo, which is connected to router via Ethernet cable in office. Launched the GG app, and at first it only found the HR20's playlist, but after I quit and relaunched app, it then found the HR34. So all was good, I thought. At the time, I did not check any of the clients or the HR20 itself. I could see the HR20's playlist from the HR34.

Several hours later, I went to watch TV at a Genie client location. Got a message saying it found no servers, with the option to try again. Tried a few times with same result. Rebooted client, same result. Not a believer in coincidences when it comes to electronics, I thought this must be related to the CCK, although I have no idea why. Anyway, I unplugged the Ethernet cable from the CCK, and after a few seconds, the client came on. Repeated this a few times, and checked the other 2 clients, all with same result. Checked the HR20, it was also not seeing the HR34 when CCK was connected. I also rebooted the router, same result.

So the CCK wireless connection is disabling Whole Home, but I'm not sure why. Could it have something to do with the GenieGo, which is hard-wired to the router? Or is there some other interference at play? I am not tech savvy when it comes to routers, so I don't know of anything there I can try. Please help! Thanks.

???? How does a wireless CCK have an Ethernet connection?

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#20 ONLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,100 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

???? How does a wireless CCK have an Ethernet connection?

The WCCK can be used either wired or wireless.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...