Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Powerline died, how to install CCK

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

The WCCK can be used either wired or wireless.

It's either part I not seeing in his post

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

I don't see why you'd use ethernet between the 34 & CCK.

The CCK & 34 connect via coax.

"perhaps" the double link is the problem

In case the OP missed this, remove the ethernet cable from between the HR34 and the CCK, it should not be there.  The two should only be connected by coax.

Edited by Beerstalker, 10 February 2014 - 01:41 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,156 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

In case the OP missed this, remove the ethernet cable from between the HR34 and the CCK, it should not be there.  The two should only be connected by coax.

as long as is NOT connected with both, ethernet and coax, using ethernet alone will not cause any issues.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:46 AM

I might be wrong here, but from reading all of the post in regards to this problem I saw no mention of a wireless bridge. I'm not positive about this but doesn't the Genie need the wireless bridge in order to mirror or send the virtual tuner or receiver to the C31 or C41 (Genie minis) in this case. I am thinking it does. I also believe that the wireless signal may not be the same as your regular wifi signal. That is why the genie mini isn't getting anything. I'm just thinking out loud in this post. Not sure about this but you might want to research that? 

You're mixing up the wireless client [C41W] which needs the bridge.

C31 & C41 are wired clients.

The WCCK is for internet.

A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   RUInRVU

RUInRVU

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

I didn't hear any mention of the Wireless Video Bridge. I'm not sure if you have that installed but from what I have read in all the post it sounds like that may be the issue. In order to mirror your RUI (Remote User Interface) you need to have the Wireless Video Bridge installed or you will not get the full RUI to  your C41W (Genie mini client) That way the video can be pushed from the Genie to the Client. It's kind of like a virtual tuner being mirrored to the Genie Mini in all your other TV locations. I hope this helps resolve your issue. Please let me know if you have one or if you can resolve the issue by resetting it. Also if you don't have a surge protector installed on your WCCK I would highly suggest it. Yes, sorry about that veryoldschool you are correct. I was a little confused. The CCK or WCCK is used for Media Share, Directv2PC and some Apps, is that right? I was thinking that he said something about not getting the TV to work in the other room or rooms that had the Genie Mini in it. If that is what's being troubleshot then correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't there have to be a Wireless Video Bridge installed? I'm still trying to learn all this so I could be combining different things that I've been studying. I guess my thinking was he was trying to go wireless to the clients. So just disregard this if I'm way off. Let me know though so I can learn please and I will just delete my post.

Edited by RUInRVU, 13 February 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

I didn't hear any mention of the Wireless Video Bridge. I'm not sure if you have that installed but from what I have read in all the post it sounds like that may be the issue. In order to mirror your RUI (Remote User Interface) you need to have the Wireless Video Bridge installed or you will not get the full RUI to  your C41 (Genie mini client) That way the video can be pushed from the Genie to the Client. It's kind of like a virtual tuner being mirrored to the Genie Mini in all your other TV locations. I hope this helps resolve your issue. Please let me know if you have one or if you can resolve the issue by resetting it. Also if you don't have a surge protector installed on your WCCK I would highly suggest it.

Again, you have ALL wrong!!!!  See VOS post above  The C41 is wired, it has NOTHING, nada, zero, zilch, to do with wireless. as the C41 is a wired client 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

I didn't hear any mention of the Wireless Video Bridge. I'm not sure if you have that installed but from what I have read in all the post it sounds like that may be the issue. In order to mirror your RUI (Remote User Interface) you need to have the Wireless Video Bridge installed or you will not get the full RUI to  your C41W (Genie mini client) That way the video can be pushed from the Genie to the Client. It's kind of like a virtual tuner being mirrored to the Genie Mini in all your other TV locations. I hope this helps resolve your issue. Please let me know if you have one or if you can resolve the issue by resetting it. Also if you don't have a surge protector installed on your WCCK I would highly suggest it. Yes, sorry about that veryoldschool you are correct. I was a little confused. The CCK or WCCK is used for Media Share, Directv2PC and some Apps, is that right? I was thinking that he said something about not getting the TV to work in the other room or rooms that had the Genie Mini in it. If that is what's being troubleshot then correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't there have to be a Wireless Video Bridge installed? I'm still trying to learn all this so I could be combining different things that I've been studying. I guess my thinking was he was trying to go wireless to the clients. So just disregard this if I'm way off. Let me know though so I can learn please and I will just delete my post.

An RVU client doesn't require a "video bridge".

The RVU TVs, C31, & C41 connect via coax & DECA.

The wireless C41W uses a video bridge, since it doesn't have a coax connection.

The CCK & WCCK have been around long before the C41W, and are for bridging the coax networking to the home networking for internet and other apps.

This thread, so far, has had nothing to do with a C41W and so there's no need for a wireless video bridge.

A.K.A VOS

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Also if you don't have a surge protector installed on your WCCK I would highly suggest it. 

a surge protector does nothing to the WCCK.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,699 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

a surge protector does nothing to the WCCK.

Sure it does.....

It gives you a place to plug it in !rolling 

A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

Sure it does.....

It gives you a place to plug it in !rolling 

yeah, well,  that. :hurah:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#31 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,323 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

I actually had an installer start to remove a power strip - I call them power strips because they provide more outlets than surge protection.

Anyway, he said we couldn't plug PIs into power strips. Of course, there weren't enough outlets close by so I got him to leave the basement before he unplugged everything.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#32 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:59 PM

I actually had an installer start to remove a power strip - I call them power strips because they provide more outlets than surge protection.

Anyway, he said we couldn't plug PIs into power strips. Of course, there weren't enough outlets close by so I got him to leave the basement before he unplugged everything.

That is DirecTV's policy and I can understand why.

Now days everyone is pushing people hard to try to save electricity.  One of the big things they try to tell people to do it turn off their power strips/surge protectors, or get the ones that automatically shut off power to most of the outlets when the TV is turned off.  If the Power Inserter is plugged into a power strip and you turn it off, or it turns off automatically, that is going to kill the DirecTV signal to the entire house.  Most people don't understand what the Power Inserter is there to do, so they end up calling in complaining that the system is broken etc. 

They also usually like to plug the power inserter in behind your TV or dresser instead of other locations.  They figure if it is plugged in back there you aren't as likely to move the TV/dresser and unplug it to plug in the vacuum, or Christmas tree lights, etc. and cause your system to stop working.  If it is just plugged in where people can easily get to the outlet it is more likely to get unplugged.

If you know what the Power Inserter is for, and understand that it needs power at all times in order for your DirecTV system to work, then there is no reason not to plug one into a power strip.  Actually, it is an even better idea to plug it into a UPS (along with your DVRs) so that short power outages etc. don't interrupt your recordings.

Edited by Beerstalker, 14 February 2014 - 02:03 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#33 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,323 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Your last paragraph kinda sums it up.  Some installers don't.

My SWim-16s are in the basement on a wall with other equipment and nobody but me down there.  And not going to be turned off.

My MIL's 44 PI was plugged into the wall.  I got a call the next day that her D* was out.  Turned out there was a wall switch controlling that outlet!

Maybe they need a big red sticker with 'Do not unplug' under penalty of law!   Kind of like the mattress tags that NOBODY will tear off!

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Maybe they need a big red sticker with 'Do not unplug' under penalty of law!   Kind of like the mattress tags that NOBODY will tear off!

Well there is a sticker, albeit not red.  but is there.  however folks don't bother to read 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,323 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

Of the dozen or so PIs I've plugged in, I've never seen the sticker.  But I generally know where I'm plugging things.

#36 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Of the dozen or so PIs I've plugged in, I've never seen the sticker.  But I generally know where I'm plugging things.

yep, the new one, (back from a year and so on) have the stickers on the power cord, like a flag.  this idea came from a team meeting that DirecTV does frequently with field techs.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#37 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Someone mentioned that I shouldn't have the CCK connected to the HR34 via Ethernet, and that was correct. Light bulb moment! I didn't realize I needed to connect via coax, I thought that was only if I decided to connect the CCK to the R16 (and then hard-wired Ethernet to router). I think that I could only use the Ethernet connection to the HR34 if I didn't have a Whole Home setup, is that correct?

Anyway, once I connected the CCK to the HR34 via coax (and wireless CCK to router), then went through the "get connected" steps on the HR34, I was up and running with no problems. The Genie clients came back online, the HR20 is also connected, and it has all been working great for a week. We've only done one On Demand download and one GenieGo download so far. The GG download seemed to go a bit slower than the ones I had done previously with the Powerline connection, but it is too small of a sample size to know for sure. We don't use either of those two features enough at this time to warrant changing to a wired connection (CCK to
R16 and router in office), so I'll probably stay with this for awhile, since I don't have a band stop filter. Again, thanks for the comments, I always learn something when I come to this forum, and it saves me the frustration of trying to work it out with a CSR.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#38 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,156 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

I think that I could only use the Ethernet connection to the HR34 if I didn't have a Whole Home setup, is that correct?

No the HR34/44 is "special" on this regard.  it can be used instead of a CCK by connecting an ethernet cable to it with disrupting your WHDVR service 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall