Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN News at 9

Wgntv news

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   corinthbandit

corinthbandit

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

Really disappointed that WGN News at 9 is no longer being broadcast on WGN America. I hope the outcry from viewers gets them to change their mind soon.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   corinthbandit

corinthbandit

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

http://www.robertfed...ional-platform/

#3 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

Makes plenty of sense to me, there can't be a large audience nationally for local Chicago news broadcasts...

#4 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Now WGN-America is no different then the 500 other cable channels. The local news set them apart from the others. I used to like to watch the "Superstations". WGN, WTBS, WPIX, WSBK, KTLA and KWGN to see the different local news from all over the country. Now they are all gone and we get all the same crap on every cable channel. CNN and Fox News have gone the way of the Weather Channel with everything but news.

• loudo and WB4CS like this

#5 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

For quite a while, WGN-America's programming for the most part has been different than what I can get OTA or via the spot beam.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,838 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

That channel is still around?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#7 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 601 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

I remember when WGN was an independent super station. If you lived in the midwest, and in a market with no independents, WGN and WTTV (Indianapolis) were nice additions. As was WXIX from Cincinnati. But, then came "networks"  first FOX,  took care of WTTV and WXIX, then the WB, later CW, forced WGN to dorp the WB blcok and send out two uplinks. One for Chicago, one for everyone else. which became WGN America. The 9 O'Clock News was great to watch; Tom Skillings did a great job with the weather. The news was sloly being dropped and it is sad to see it go. I am guessing the Cubs won't be available come baseball season. If so, then they might as well call it teh Tribiune Network, making it just another cable channel of reruns and marathon blocks.

A few years ago WGN America dropped the various local Chicago programming, it was most obvious around Christmas time. No midnight mass, no Bozo and retrospective specials specials and no "Hardrock, Coco and joe" http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NT5Ohgl7eTM.

#8 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

The split between WGN Chicago and WGN America occured before The WB's removal. It started in the late 80s when the Syndex rules went into effect for cable, WGN, WTBS and WOR all launched seperate cable feeds while KTLA, KWGN, WPIX and WSBK became more regional and subject to blackouts at the request of the local stations.

The only reason why they were allowed to keep The WB that long was because Tribune was a partial owner of The WB and they wanted to use WGN's cable presence to take care of markets where they still didn't have a local affiliate. By the late 90s WB had a presence in nearly every market along with the WB 100+ channel on cable to take care of the smaller markets without one.

Tribune announced plans a while back to bring original programming to WGN America. They even ran a promo for their first original series Salem during the local breaks on the Super Bowl in the markets where they own a Fox affiliate.

#9 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

I remember when WGN was an independent super station. If you lived in the midwest, and in a market with no independents, WGN and WTTV (Indianapolis) were nice additions. As was WXIX from Cincinnati. But, then came "networks"  first FOX,  took care of WTTV and WXIX, then the WB, later CW, forced WGN to dorp the WB blcok and send out two uplinks. One for Chicago, one for everyone else. which became WGN America. The 9 O'Clock News was great to watch; Tom Skillings did a great job with the weather. The news was sloly being dropped and it is sad to see it go. I am guessing the Cubs won't be available come baseball season. If so, then they might as well call it teh Tribiune Network, making it just another cable channel of reruns and marathon blocks.

A few years ago WGN America dropped the various local Chicago programming, it was most obvious around Christmas time. No midnight mass, no Bozo and retrospective specials specials and no "Hardrock, Coco and joe" http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NT5Ohgl7eTM.

The nba forced WGN america to cut back on the bulls games a few years ago. But the MLB has let them show lot's of CUBS and SOX games with loose blackout rules for years.

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#10 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 300 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 07 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

I think WGN's deal with the Cubs might be coming to an end after next year.  Hopefully not.  They have been broadcasting Cubs games since 1948.

http://articles.chic...-cubs-broadcast

And for what it's worth, I miss the Chicago news on WGN America, too.  The Cubs and the news were pretty much the only 2 reasons I tuned to that channel. 

Edited by mrdobolina, 07 February 2014 - 04:06 PM.

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#11 OFFLINE   corinthbandit

corinthbandit

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

There is a facebook page that has been setup for people to voice their opinion called Bring Back WGN News at Nine

Here is the WGN America primetime schedule for tonight:

7:00pm(cst) How I Met Your Mother

7:30pm(cst) How I Met Your Mother

8:00pm(cst) How I Met Your Mother

8:30pm(cst) How I Met Your Mother

9:00pm(cst) How I Met Your Mother

9:30pm(cst) How I Met Your Mother

10:00pm(cst) How I Met Your Mother

10:30pm(cst)How I Met Your Mother

#12 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:09 PM

The news was all I ever watched, on WGN.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#13 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,704 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

You can still stream it live right now here > http://wgntv.com/live/
  • loudo likes this

#14 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

For Chicago expatriates, that would be a hard one along with Susy Snowflake.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#15 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

It was never the same after WGN started replacing the local Chicago commercials with national ads some years back.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#16 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Now WGN-America is no different then the 500 other cable channels. The local news set them apart from the others. I used to like to watch the "Superstations". WGN, WTBS, WPIX, WSBK, KTLA and KWGN to see the different local news from all over the country. Now they are all gone and we get all the same crap on every cable channel. CNN and Fox News have gone the way of the Weather Channel with everything but news.

+1 !!  

Many years ago this was the reason I switched from DirecTV to Dish (Now back with DirecTV), because of the Superstation Pack. Call me weird, but I've always enjoyed watching "local" news from other cities. 

I have to admit, I have only watched WGN's news a handful of times, but I did enjoy watching it when I did. 

I also agree, we really don't have a 24 hours NEWS outlet on DirecTV. Aljazera America comes pretty close but DirecTV's SD picture quality is not very good. I've requested to DirecTV several times to add the HD feed of BBC World News to the lineup, but so far nothing. MAYBE when the next bird goes live it will be added, but I'm not holding my breath on it. BBC World News is the only channel I miss when I was with Comcast. 

#17 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:49 AM

+1 !!  

Call me weird, but I've always enjoyed watching "local" news from other cities. 

I along with you I enjoyed watching the local news feeds. When I had my BUD (12 foot Paraclipse Dish) I used to subscribe to all the superstations just to watch local news. I remember watching those LA Freeway car chases on KTLA. Not much local news left.

I currently watch a lot of live local newsfeeds on LiveStream, using my Roku box. They do carry FOX 32, Chicago live newscasts, along with many others from around the country. .

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#18 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Many years ago I heard that Gannett was planning a local news channel using the newscasts of the different stations they own around the country. It never materialized. :(

#19 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

I currently watch a lot of live local newsfeeds on LiveStream, using my Roku box. They do carry FOX 32, Chicago live newscasts, along with many others from around the country. .

Another Roku channel with Live local newsfeeds is Nowhere TV. It's currently a private channel but can be added very easily online. 

• loudo likes this

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

There were other "local news" channels ... they didn't last.

It seems that a lot of the local news channels now show network or syndicated content most of the time they are on the air. Just pull a story off the media service and air it. Such practices would make it harder to pull together a collection of "local" newscasts as such content would not be licensed outside of each local station's market.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

spam firewall