Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WGN News at 9

Wgntv news

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

It seems that a lot of the local news channels now show network or syndicated content most of the time they are on the air. Just pull a story off the media service and air it. Such practices would make it harder to pull together a collection of "local" newscasts as such content would not be licensed outside of each local station's market.

True -- if I recall correctly, WGN Midday News wasn't carried on WGN America for a time because it included a pre-produced syndicated feature ("Mr. Food" or something like that).

Often, the syndicators even provide the anchors with suggested text for the intro.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jojo11

jojo11

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:51 AM

True -- if I recall correctly, WGN Midday News wasn't carried on WGN America for a time because it included a pre-produced syndicated feature ("Mr. Food" or something like that).

Often, the syndicators even provide the anchors with suggested text for the intro.

WGN Midday News have been on for a long time.  It was the WGN Morning News that wasn't carried on WGNA due to the SyndEX rules.  The first hour of the WGN Midday News is not shown on WGNA for that reason (that's why WGNA is showing "Law & Order" right now).  BTW, the "Mr. Food" feature in Chicago is on WLS-TV (Channel 7).  Now with WGNA dropping the 9 pm news, the only time they show the news are at Noon (CT) and at 4 am (CT), the first hour of their morning news (the WGN Morning News runs from 4 am - 10 am weekdays).  They do not show the rest of the news (5 am - 10 am,

11 am (first hour of the midday news), 5 pm (WGN News at Five) weekday and the 6 am news on Saturday and Sunday......

#23 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,187 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:09 AM

Makes plenty of sense to me, there can't be a large audience nationally for local Chicago news broadcasts...

Except that with Chicago and its metropolitan area--a population of over 8 or 9 million--losing so many people every year (state economy/taxes and weather being the two biggest reasons), the nation sees so many former Chicago area residents now living in other parts of the country. These people, myself included, will always hold an interest in the local Chicago sports teams, the funny politics, etc., and WGN News at Nine was a great way to follow that.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#24 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:03 AM

I along with you I enjoyed watching the local news feeds. When I had my BUD (12 foot Paraclipse Dish) I used to subscribe to all the superstations just to watch local news. I remember watching those LA Freeway car chases on KTLA. Not much local news left.

I currently watch a lot of live local newsfeeds on LiveStream, using my Roku box. They do carry FOX 32, Chicago live newscasts, along with many others from around the country. .

Isn't LiveStream a paid service? If so, I don't see many people wanting to pay per month just to be able to watch WGN News at 9.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#25 OFFLINE   mp12point7

mp12point7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:39 PM

Why this discussion? I seamlessly switched to the WGN newscast stream on their website. It's free and has only a few gentle commercials. Try it.

Edited by mp12point7, 24 February 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   shew

shew

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

try outfox.tv....it has a few cw channels including wgn...all programming included...

#27 OFFLINE   paule123

paule123

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

Except that with Chicago and its metropolitan area--a population of over 8 or 9 million--losing so many people every year (state economy/taxes and weather being the two biggest reasons), the nation sees so many former Chicago area residents now living in other parts of the country. These people, myself included, will always hold an interest in the local Chicago sports teams, the funny politics, etc., and WGN News at Nine was a great way to follow that.

Agreed.  Just got back from southwest florida, for example, where there's tons of Chicago snowbirds there in the winter season. It was nice to check in at 10 pm ET and see what's going on in Chicago (and too see how bad the weather is :) )

Skilling has got to be the best weather man in the country.  Living in Cleveland now, I'd watch the 9 pm news for his much more in depth forecasts and regional trends.

I find it hard to beleive yet another rerun of How I Met Your Mother has better ratings?

Count me very disappointed that the 9pm news is gone.

Edited by paule123, 15 March 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,736 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

You can still stream it live here > http://wgntv.com/live/

You can still stream the news live via the above link.

#29 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Agreed.  Just got back from southwest florida, for example, where there's tons of Chicago snowbirds there in the winter season. It was nice to check in at 10 pm ET and see what's going on in Chicago (and too see how bad the weather is :) )

Skilling has got to be the best weather man in the country.  Living in Cleveland now, I'd watch the 9 pm news for his much more in depth forecasts and regional trends.

I find it hard to beleive yet another rerun of How I Met Your Mother has better ratings?

Count me very disappointed that the 9pm news is gone.

It's either that or 10 to 15-year-old reruns of America's Funniest Home Videos.

#30 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

You can still stream the news live via the above link.

Except that it has to be live. Kind of defeats the purpose of using a DVR to record then watch later the WGN News at 9.

#31 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 444 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I will never get my parents to switch to Directv for two reasons: no GSN HD and no CW in their market (at all). My mom watches a few shows on WPIX with Dish's superstations package. Directv won't let others get CWe (channel 394) either. I think there is a crappy cable CW that has the rights to it or something. 

I, too, mostly watch WGN America for the news and sports. I have watched 30 Rock on there a couple times, too. 

Edited by ejbvt, 24 March 2014 - 05:47 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...