Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network and Disney to kiss and makeup over Auto Hop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,696 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

Dish Network and Disney to kiss and makeup over Auto Hop

Dish Network may soon be free of the burden of at least one of the many legal entanglements concerning its controversial Auto Hop feature. According to Bloomberg news, unnamed sources have disclosed that Dish is close to a settlement with Disney over the issue, which could net Disney an extra half a billion dollars annually by 2015 thanks to higher re-transmission fees....

dishnetwork-hopper-joey-650x0.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

The original story at Bloomberg right at this moment appears to be very incomplete and I hate "said to be close" language.

Dish and Disney have been in negotiations for some time to resolve a large number of issues, of which the Hopper dispute is only one and the retransmission of HD on the Disney channels is another. Even the Hopper issue is far more complex as Disney can only sign off for its owned-and-operated ABC broadcast stations unless it has some revenue sharing system with affiliates which have different owners.

Finally anything with Disney involves the Disney-owned ESPN group of channels.

On February 4, several news sources talked about the Disney-Dish negotiations such as this one Report: Disney and Dish Network close to carriage deal but this has been mistakenly reported before. It did, however, include the settlement of Hopper ad-skipping lawsuit as just one element.

When they put out a joint news release and Dish starts uplinking the Disney HD channels, I'll know some agreement has been reached which is being at least partly funded by the February rate increases.

Edited by phrelin, 08 February 2014 - 12:46 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,980 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Unless DISH extends autohop to cover channels other than the big four, Disney is sandbagging on the AutoHop issue.  O&O stations can't be that large an issue in the Disney collective.

Even if it covered ESPN, most who watch ESPN do so on a much more "live" basis and I'd guess that they typically don't wait until the next day when AutoHop might apply.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,136 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

When they strike a deal Blockbuster movies will be gone from my account.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

I just got my first/next bill that includes the already-known-about $5 increase... so I was thinking any day now we might hear good news about the Disney deal.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

So could this mean they could charge customers on the AutoHop feature as a option?
Or is that just rumor spreading?

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#7 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

Wow extra $500 Million, Yea charlie sure knows how to strike deals. !rolling

No NY sports but at least you have Disney in HD with Auto hop. :rotfl: !rolling

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Other than to make a snarky comment, why would you think Disney in HD would have AutoHop?

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#9 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:39 AM

Other than to make a snarky comment, why would you think Disney in HD would have AutoHop?

Because Disney is all about money, and an Extra half Billion per year is enough to look the other way!

Sorry but you already have Disney, you would think Charlie would be more concerned to strike a deal with something they don't have at with that 500 Million.

#10 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,290 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

Unless Disney HD goes on local channels, it ain't getting autohopped!  :)

But yeah, in the end all these contracts are all about the benjamins.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:20 AM

All of this is rumor anyway, until a deal is announced... so I wouldn't take the $500 million or whatever too literally.  Who knows whether that is high/low or even true at all.

Also... the Disney negotiation has little to do with New York sports.  Also... Disney are national channels with national interests... it would make sense for everyone to pay for those channels... while the New York sports channels are primarily of interest in their market, so why should the whole country have to pay for those?

It's apples and oranges and one has nothing to do with the other... also, one deal has nothing to do with the other.  If Dish could come to terms with those New York sports channels, they likely would have before now.

• sigma1914 likes this

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#12 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

I guess what really bugs me is that the high priced Disney group, has to be paid for by all who subscribe to Dish.  We are two adults in our 70's who never watch the actual Disney channels but have a strong interest in sports.

I would suspect that there are families who only watch the actual Disney channel with their kids and have no interest in sports.

I would suspect that Walt could possibly be turning over in his grave knowing how greedy the Disney group of channels has become.

I would like to see, but I know it would never happen, the option of having Disney, ESPN, or both and not have to pay for both when we never watch one or the other group of channels.

The latest price increase has arrived on my bill and it is up $7, not $5.  This cost for Dish programming and hardware has become too expensive for me and I need to find a way to reduce my bill.  The problem is we get hooked on the ability to get niche channels that are unavailable OTA and can't reduce the package we subscribe to without either me or my wife missing a favorite channel.

Also, I would miss having a separate receiver in the garage, one in the bedroom, and a second Hopper in the family room for ultimate backup in case one fails.  I could remove the second Hopper from service as it is purchased but the extra receiver rate for a Hopper at the time was the same as a Joey and seemed low enough to be a workable option.  Now I must remove it from service and try to figure out other ways to reduce our bill.

I've been with Dish from the very beginning, and hate to leave after all these years but need to start looking into other sources to see if I can fulfill out viewing wishes without bankrupting us.

I pay the bills here so the wife doesn't know how much TV costs anymore.  If she knew what we are paying she would crucify me.

Rant over!

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

I'll be glad when the negotiations are over ... and at least status quo exists. DISH customers still have the channels to watch. If getting ABC to back away on autohop can be worked into the deal that would be good.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 935 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

I would suspect that Walt could possibly be turning over in his grave knowing how greedy the Disney group of channels has become.

Now I must remove it from service and try to figure out other ways to reduce our bill.

I've been with Dish from the very beginning, and hate to leave after all these years but need to start looking into other sources to see if I can fulfill out viewing wishes without bankrupting us.

I pay the bills here so the wife doesn't know how much TV costs anymore.  If she knew what we are paying she would crucify me.

I suspect Walt Disney would love it. Just like Sam Walton and his Walmart/Sam's Club. The feeling would be, "I can't believe me the business I started are now worth this much!"

Your marriage is your business, of course; but, since you presented a little about it, I will just say this: Perhaps what you wife would do, if she knew about the costs of subscribing to Dish Network, is accelerate the process of looking into the competition.

One thing to consider is this: If you threaten to leave your provider, for someone else, suddenly there will be possibilities with lowering your bill more to your liking.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,909 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

One thing to consider is this: If you threaten to leave your provider, for someone else, suddenly there will be possibilities with lowering your bill more to your liking.

That sort of threat can work with other providers, but DISH does not operate with a profit margin high enough to give away the store when someone complains. Or at least appear to give away the store to the complainers.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 867 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

I'm not into doing the threat thing.  I just wish that it hadn't become so expensive to have TV in the house.

BTW, distance makes it impossible to get OTA reliably and I wouldn't be happy with just local OTA anyway. 

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#17 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,197 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

So could this mean they could charge customers on the AutoHop feature as a option?
Or is that just rumor spreading?

Well considering the Hopper comes with a $12 DVR fee as opposed to a $7 DVR fee for Dish's other DVR's I'd say Hopper customers are already paying extra for their autohop and other features of the receiver as well of course.

• david_jr likes this

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,365 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:44 PM

I'm not into doing the threat thing. I just wish that it hadn't become so expensive to have TV in the house.
BTW, distance makes it impossible to get OTA reliably and I wouldn't be happy with just local OTA anyway.

Unless you watch sports a multi disc subscription to Netflix will get you everything that's on tv just a little latter.

I have to admit if it where not for sports I'd have no provider.

Oh and 500 million could Simply be the price increase they want and have nothing to do with auto hop yet. You never know.

#19 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

Anyone who thinks Sam Walton would be happy that his company has ruined the basic structure of America and sold out to China just shocks me! I remember when they had on all there ads... Anything that was made in USA had a flag next to the price!...

If Wal-Mart went out of business tomorrow Id throw a party!!! 

Just another corporation run wild and we support them with tax breaks and food stamps for there employees!

#20 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

As someone who never watches Disney nor sports, subsidizing this extortion does not please me one bit.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...