Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Remote control weird issue

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:53 AM

I have an elderly friend who called me over to "fix" her remote. She has an RC65 remote running an old D12-100. What has happened (other than the batteries were also dead) is the remote won't turn her TV off and on from the On and Off buttons. It's an old RCA tube TV.

Now, what is odd is I can find several codes that work, and the first three codes in the RCA list work fine when the remote switch is in the TV position. I can turn the TV off and on with the PWR button. Also working just fine is pass through - volume, mute, and input select work fine in any mode. Simply put, the remote just won't turn the TV on and off from the On and Off remote buttons, with any code.

Thinking this was some weird issue with the remote, I took two of my spare remotes over, an old 25 and another RC65, they exhibited the same behavior.

I'm stumped - suggestions?

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

Usually code 10047 works for RCA TVs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Thanks, but.... the code does not seem to be my issue.  10047 is what is in there currently.

A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

does the TV have one button for power ON and one for OFF, or one button does both?

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

One for both. The DirecTV remote.  As I mentioned, using the PWR button on TV mode works fine.

#6 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Sounds like something is wrong with the remote.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

So it looks like your TV is using toggle codes instead of discrete codes. the DirecTV remote  is using discrete commands 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:03 PM

Sounds like something is wrong with the remote.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Thinking this was some weird issue with the remote, I took two of my spare remotes over, an old 25 and another RC65, they exhibited the same behavior.

Thanks!

TS mentioned he used two other remotes. ^^^^^

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,835 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

I have an elderly friend who called me over to "fix" her remote. She has an RC65 remote running an old D12-100. What has happened (other than the batteries were also dead) is the remote won't turn her TV off and on from the On and Off buttons. It's an old RCA tube TV.

Now, what is odd is I can find several codes that work, and the first three codes in the RCA list work fine when the remote switch is in the TV position. I can turn the TV off and on with the PWR button. Also working just fine is pass through - volume, mute, and input select work fine in any mode. Simply put, the remote just won't turn the TV on and off from the On and Off remote buttons, with any code.

Thanks!

Try some more codes. Write them all down. This time  press the ON and OFF buttons to see if it turns the TV on or off. If it was working before the batteries died there has to be a code that works.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

Several codes work. You guys are not reading the complete story. The DirecTV remote works the TV completely, with the PWR button, and with the pass throughs. Just not turning on and off with the on/off buttons.

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,835 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:07 AM

Several codes work. You guys are not reading the complete story. The DirecTV remote works the TV completely, with the PWR button, and with the pass throughs. Just not turning on and off with the on/off buttons.

I understand that. That is why I asked you to use some more codes , other than the ones you have tried already, and for the Test to see if it works use the ON and OFF button instead of the PWR button.

Punch in a code and press the OFF button. Doing this will keep the receiver turned off but you do not need it anyway.

Codes from the DTV Remote Control Lookup:

11447   10018   10135   11547   11347   
11247   11781   10747   11147   10029   
12187   10174   10679   10774   11922   
11661   11948   11958   11959   10038   
10093   10278   11953   12183   10051   
10090   11047   11917   11919   12002   

11240*   11641*

If the TV has a built in DVD player you might try some RCA DVD player codes.

Edited by jimmie57, 09 February 2014 - 07:12 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#12 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:12 AM

I've already  tried the first 4 lines of those codes, I'll keep going then, thanks

#13 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

I guess I'm just struggling to understand why everything would work fine but the On-Off buttons. Don't they send the exact same code as the PWR button in TV mode does?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

I guess I'm just struggling to understand why everything would work fine but the On-Off buttons. Don't they send the exact same code as the PWR button in TV mode does?

No, this is where you blew pas my post.  the ON and OFF are discrete and the PWR is toggle type

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 648 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

After you've found a code that works with the slide switch in the TV position, try this with the switch still in the TV position:

• Press and hold MUTE and SELECT buttons until the green light at the top of your remote control flashes twice.
  • Enter 9-6-0 using the keypad on the remote control. The green light should flash twice again.
  • Slide the MODE switch on your remote control to the DIRECTV position.

This should enable on/off with the buttons in the upper right on the remote.

Note, however, that I have a JVC tv in the bedroom that I cannot get to work with this either, and I've tried all the JVC codes I could find.  No problem with my other sets.

Edited by makaiguy, 09 February 2014 - 10:50 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#16 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

960 is the pass through code fir the TV input, right?  I've entered 960 after each code I've tried, the input select always works fine.

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,306 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

This should enable on/off with the buttons in the upper right on the remote.

Note, however, that I have a JVC tv in the bedroom that I cannot get to work with this either, and I've tried all the JVC codes I could find.  No problem with my other sets.

Huh?  what dies enabling INPUT button (which is what 960 does) has anything to do with the ON and OFF buttons

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

The RCA TV most likely does not support discreet power commands.  There are a lot of TVs that don't especially older TVs or cheaper models.

For those of you that don't know a discreet power command will only do one thing. 

The discreet Power Off command/button will only turn the device (the TV in this instance) off.  If you hit the Off command multiple times it won't do anything once the device is turned off.  It will never turn the device on.

The discreet Power On command/button will only turn the device on.  If you hit it multiple times nothing else will happen, it will never turn the device off.

A power toggle command is much more widely used.  If you use that command/push that button then it will change the state of the device.  If the device is on and you push the power toggle button it will turn the device off.  If the device is off and you push the powert toggle button it will turn the device on.

The ON and OFF buttons on the DirecTV remotes are mapped to the discreet power commands if they are available in the codeset you have chosen.  The PWR button is mapped to the power toggle command.  The PWR button will only work for the TV when the slider at the top is set to TV.  The ON and OFF buttons will sent the discreet power on and power off commands to both the DirecTV receiver, and the TV when they are in the DirecTV mode.

So for the OP's problem they are most likely going to just have to get used to moving the slider over to TV, and turning the TV off on it's own all the time.  Or just keep the TV's original remote handy so they can use it to power the TV on and off.  If that is not an acceptable solution I highly recommend they look into something like a Harmony 650 universal remote.

Edited by Beerstalker, 10 February 2014 - 02:18 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#19 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,835 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

Based on the above post, I tested my new Sharp LED TV.

Pressing the ON button multiple times will alternately turn the TV On and then back OFF.

Pressing the OFF button will alternately turn the TV Off and then back ON with this button.

Tried this with my Samsung and the buttons will only do what they were intended to do.

I do not have a clue as to why the Sharp does that.

This is just an FYI post, my systems are all working fine at this time.

Edited by jimmie57, 16 February 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:43 PM

The Sharp codeset you are using has the PowerToggle command mapped to the OFF button.  Try different codesets and see if you can find one with the correct Power Off command.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...