Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sports guide info - what a mess!! :(

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,399 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:48 AM

I'm primarily a boxing fan and my son is a UFC fan.  I noticed very quickly that the guide info is so sparse on these two sports that it is nearly impossible to set a series link that actually works well.

With UFC, there is so much repeats of nearly all the shows, that if I set a boolean search for it for just 'new' shows, it doesn't make a difference since the guide data doesn't know if most of them are new or not.  It is not uncommon to see 10 or more UFC shows in a single day, the vast majority of them being incessant repeats.

Boxing is similar though not quite as bad and some boxing events are tagged as 'new' in the guide data, but many, especially for SNY, FS1&2 and some others are not tagged with much info at all.

A bit irritating!

Is this the same for some other sports?  I don't know as I don't watch them often enough to do series links for them, instead opting to manually record them as I see them come along.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 569 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

You could look online for times and channels to ensure you only record new ones.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,399 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Certainly I could, but then that defeats the purpose of series links, especially the boolean searches.

Lloyd

#4 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Icon

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Once you get firmware 0x7e5, it has a feature on sports channels for live events that will record all live events on all the channels you get. I'll be trying it out on UFC. I setup on FS1 219 for the 2/15 card, so I'll see if it picks up the other stuff as it gets into the guide.

#5 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,399 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

I have that firmware, may try a setup with that.

Thanks.

Lloyd

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,399 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

OK, tried the 'live' events with boxing.  No change, still gets lots of reruns and old stuff.  So really it is whatever is lacking in the guide data that causes it.  :(

Lloyd

#7 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,030 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:05 PM

DVR's are only as good as the guide data.  DirecTV cannot control the guide data except for their own channels (e.g. NFL Sunday Ticket).  For the rest they rely on Tribune Media for the guide data, which in turn depends on the channels themselves to provide the listings.  If the channels give Tribune bad or incomplete info, there's little Tribune or DirecTV can do about it.  Sometimes it's Tribune that messes up, but that's less common.

The issue is not just with sporting events.  Similar problems show up with other events and TV shows if the data provided lacks the necessary detail or is faulty.  Some TV channels are worse than others, and some types of programming are worse than others.  That's just the way it is, and there really isn't anything we (or DirecTV) can do about it.

#8 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Icon

• Registered
  • 569 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

OK, tried the 'live' events with boxing.  No change, still gets lots of reruns and old stuff.  So really it is whatever is lacking in the guide data that causes it.   :(

Its working for me now.

Go to the My Teams menu and add Boxing and MMA.

Then go to Team Pages.

Then select the Boxing or MMA.

Then select season record.

You should have the live option there.

Give it some time to start picking them up.

I set mine up and it picked up all live MMA events through next weekends PPV. It is even recording the PPV I guess since I get the channel, but haven't bought it.

Edited by prushing, 14 February 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 465 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

DVR's are only as good as the guide data.  DirecTV cannot control the guide data except for their own channels (e.g. NFL Sunday Ticket).  For the rest they rely on Tribune Media for the guide data, which in turn depends on the channels themselves to provide the listings.  If the channels give Tribune bad or incomplete info, there's little Tribune or DirecTV can do about it.  Sometimes it's Tribune that messes up, but that's less common.

The issue is not just with sporting events.  Similar problems show up with other events and TV shows if the data provided lacks the necessary detail or is faulty.  Some TV channels are worse than others, and some types of programming are worse than others.  That's just the way it is, and there really isn't anything we (or DirecTV) can do about it.

No, this is a Directv issue. The same shows on other providers often have the missing info, even those that also use Tribune. It's a known issue for MANY MANY MANY things, not just boxing or even sports. There's an extensive thread about this last year on satguys with photo proof that it's a Directv issue. There are many other examples of it here and there, too.

Is the Sports thing y'all are talking about what's on channel 1205? If so, that will find them, and even then, it will often find repeats for the same reason that the boolean stuff doesn't work. And before a mod IM's me, channel 1205 is on all receivers, so don't waste your time.

Edited by ejbvt, 14 February 2014 - 04:09 PM.

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

And there's plenty of missing guide data on all carriers with Comedy Central being the biggest problem from everyone.

Show me guide data from tribune that has what he's specifically talking about before you call it'directv or tribunes fault. However more often than not it's actually the channels fault on most these things. Not tribune or dtv.

#11 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Everytime I tried to setup Bulls game season recording thru My Teams, I always get recordings to rsn's that I don't subscribe and even League Pass, this happens when I select all recordings live on Channels I Get, Is there a way around that issue?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#12 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Do you leave it alone and let it do a game search on its own and record the game?

Do you have the sports pack?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...