Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Splitting from hd satellite

splitting hd signal swm

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   keccars

keccars

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

First I'm new to any of this forum posting so let me know if in right place. Ok. I have a slimeline 5 dish that was apparently installed with no multiswitch, swm, nothing just direct line to one receiver. I recently installed a DVR myself. DirecTV said there should be splitter but there not, they would not help me said I needed a service call to install anything else. What do I need to split 2 lines to DVR for recording & watching something else. And I want to run old hd receiver to another TV. Please help. Do I need multiswitch, swm,power inserter, special coaxial, more b band converters??

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:23 PM

So, you have one line from the dish to the one (first) receiver.  Then you added a DVR and ran 2 more lines from the dish to the DVR ?

Do both units work OK ?  What problems are occurring ?

• keccars likes this

#3 OFFLINE   keccars

keccars

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

I only have the DVR hooked up straight from satellite right now. I want to run 2 more lines but not sure what I need because there is not multi switch or splitter on dish.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

I only have the DVR hooked up straight from satellite right now. I want to run 2 more lines but not sure what I need because there is not multi switch or splitter on dish.

You'll need to run two more coax lines from the dish.

The LNB has four outputs, but you're only using one right now.

The other option is to change the LNB to a SWiM LNB, add a splitter and power supply.

A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

No way to know for sure what your situation is without model of DVR and what type of LNB you have. From the info provided, I would guess you have a PI by your receiver, and if you look on these forums or other websites there are diagrams on how to hook up most equipment and the things you need to accomplish the feat. Otherwise, there are some really knowledgeable people on these forums that will probably be posting on the best way for you to go.

Edited by coconut13, 09 February 2014 - 09:31 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

From the info provided, I would guess you have a PI by your receiver,

Might be a poor guess.

A single receiver [DVR or not] doesn't get a SWiM install.

A non DVR will be a single coax off a legacy LNB.

A DVR will have two coax.

A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   keccars

keccars

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

I have a slimeline 5 dish. There is only one output coming from dish. I don't have a pi,swm,multiswitch, nothing. Just a single coaxial from dish to Dvr hr24-200 receiver with b band converter.

#8 OFFLINE   keccars

keccars

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

What do I need to install on the dish for 2 more lines. A pi,swm,multiswitch?

Edited by keccars, 09 February 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

just two more coax cables from the slim-5 LNBF to your DVR

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

I have a slimeline 5 dish. There is only one output coming from dish. I don't have a pi,swm,multiswitch, nothing. Just a single coaxial from dish to Dvr hr24-200 receiver with b band converter.

What do I need to install on the dish for 2 more lines. A pi,swm,multiswitch?

Enough coax to run to each receiver and B-Band converters.

"Option 2" is change the LNB to a SWiM LNB, a PI, a splitter and then coax to both locations.

A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

just two more coax cables from the slim-5 LNBF to your DVR

"And" BBCs

A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

hope he got them with his HR

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

"And" BBCs

sure, you mean SUP-2400s :)

#14 OFFLINE   keccars

keccars

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

I purchased more b band converters, have the coax but what kind of splitter do I need? There is only 1 output coming from dish. I know can't use standard splitter because kills signal. I guess when they installed my dish they didn't set me up with anything. No power inserter, multiswitch etc. I have done research & called Directv.I was told that some installs did not include any of things I need. They want to send someone out rather than answer my questions.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

1. remove (temporary) the LNBF block and you will see 3 more avail F-connectors on it !
  2. run two coax cables from DVR  to it
  3. stop talking about splitters, you don't need it, you can't use it

Edited by P Smith, 09 February 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   keccars

keccars

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

Lnbf block on what?

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

Lnbf block on what?

If you remove the LNB it should look like this:

OBO-SL5_medlrg.jpg

There are four connectors ^

A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Lnbf block on what?

on dish up there !

you're really need tech visit

reconsider to handle the request by those who's in charge

Edited by P Smith, 09 February 2014 - 04:54 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,256 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

If suggest a service call and try will get you set up right. They should also supply the proper equipment. Since your adding they should do it for free.

#20 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,239 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

To summarize what everyone above is saying:  There are two entirely different technologies as far as coax and wiring from the dish to your equipment. One is called SWM (Single Wire Multiswitch), and we'll call the other one legacy. A legacy LNB on your dish has four connectors on it (shown in post # 17 above).  An SWM LNB has one connector on it.  You almost certainly have a legacy LNB, which means if you remove the LNB assembly from the dish, you will see three unused connectors.

With a legacy LNB, you must run a separate coax cable from the dish to each receiver. For a DVR, you need two coax, one for each tuner.  If you are adding a DVR to your system, and keeping the receiver you already had, then you need to run two more coax cables. Run them so that you have two coax available where the DVR goes, and one where the receiver goes.  You also need B-band converters as noted in another post above.

An SWM LNB only requires one coax, but also requires a power inserter to power the dish. From there, you can use a special DirecTV splitter to split the signal and run it to multiple locations. Each location only needs one coax (whether it is a receiver or DVR).

You can get much more detailed information on how different dishes, LNBs and mutliswitches work at this link: http://hr20.dbstalk....d Cable FAQ.pdf

It is easy to really screw up your system if you don't know what you are doing. Also, if you try to remove the LNB, you have to be very careful not to move the dish at all (or it won't be properly aligned when you put it back together). Like I say, it's easy to screw things up if you are not very careful, and know what you are doing.

So, with all of that information you can decide if you want to try to do this upgrade/addition yourself, or want to call for a service call from DirecTV. I'd strongly recommend calling DirecTV if you are not totally comfortable pursuing this on your own.

Last point is, I don't know where you got the DVR, but you also need to find out if you can even activate it on your account.  Call the Access Card department at DirecTV and give them the RID # for the unit and ask if it can be activated. If you obtained it new from a vendor such as Solid Signal, you don't need to do this, it will be good. But if you got it from another person, or an auction site, etc., you need to verify it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: splitting hd signal, swm

Protected By... spam firewall...And...