Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Reinstalling Mozilla

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,704 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 09 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

My Mozilla has been locking up about once every half hour or more often for a couple of days, so I just uninstalled it.

I see that it was Version 27.0 and there was also a parenthetical reference to a .86X of some sort, and I see it was installed two days ago.  I don't remember requesting an upgrade, but I do remember seeing an offer to sucker me into a phony Mozilla upgrade that I did not fall for.  FWIW, I notice that there recently have been a lot of new temptations here and elsewhere for me to click the comforting "Download Now" and to  "retrieve personal message" but I haven't knowingly responded to any of those offers.  I also have recently been offered some new Adobes that I think are fake, but I haven't taken any of those, either.

I have Windows 7 on an HP Pavilion g series.  What versions of Mozilla and Adobe should I have installed?

Edited by AntAltMike, 09 February 2014 - 06:56 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

If that said X86 then that would be a reference to the main processor chip as being in the x86 family.

Go to this link and click on it. When you click on Download it should check your machine and install the proper version for you.

http://www.mozilla.o...US/firefox/new/

Be careful as you check each box to go to the next step. Some of these want to install a toolbar and maybe a different search engine and make it the default. Go slow and uncheck what you do not want installed.

This is a very good program for getting old files off your computer and cleaning up your registry. It is free and I have been using it for years.

Same caution goes along with this one when installing. Choose the Free version.

http://www.piriform....leaner/download

Edited by jimmie57, 09 February 2014 - 07:13 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Mozilla and Adobe are names of company. So, you can't reinstall them.

FireFox and Reader are the programs what could be uninstalled.

Edited by P Smith, 09 February 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

My Firefox is now reinstalled. The Mozilla screen told me to either click "run" or if the download didn't start, then click "here". Neither seemed to help. I kept getting a small box that only gave me a "save" option but when I clicked it, it said it had already been saved and asked me if I wanted to over-write. Neither choice made a "run" choice available, so I went to my download file, put the cursor arrow over the Mozilla Firefox emblem, right clicked and chose "run as administrator"

It didn't present the nuisance. "we will now take control of your life unless you choose to not incorporate this, that, and the other" which is probably bad news, because that may mean it went ahead and installed the high jacking options. During the download-install continuum, it informed me that it was now giving me Haiku for free. Lucky me.

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,522 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:41 PM

Mozilla what?  They offer several products.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

My Firefox is now reinstalled. The Mozilla screen told me to either click "run" or if the download didn't start, then click "here". Neither seemed to help. I kept getting a small box that only gave me a "save" option but when I clicked it, it said it had already been saved and asked me if I wanted to over-write. Neither choice made a "run" choice available, so I went to my download file, put the cursor arrow over the Mozilla Firefox emblem, right clicked and chose "run as administrator"

It didn't present the nuisance. "we will now take control of your life unless you choose to not incorporate this, that, and the other" which is probably bad news, because that may mean it went ahead and installed the high jacking options. During the download-install continuum, it informed me that it was now giving me Haiku for free. Lucky me."for Adobe when you need it. It will take you to the right place and install the proper version.

Firefox will prompt you when you need a Plug In or Extension for Adobe Reader and Shockwave Flash Player.

It will do this even if you already have Adobe reader installed. The same is true for Flash Player.

It will take you to the right place and get the correct version.

Edited by jimmie57, 09 February 2014 - 07:49 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,822 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Next time, before reinstalling Firefox, try opening up a command prompt and typing in firefox.exr -profilemanager . Blow away and recreate the default profile. Note that you will lose EVERYTHING doing this, including bookmarks and Addons.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#8 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

I switched from Firefox to Chrome about a year ago for my main browser. Firefox was just giving me too many hiccups.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

and taking to much RAM if you keep it running :(

#10 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

I just bought a used HP 2000 that uses Windows Vista and I reloaded Firefox 27.0.1 and IE10, but I am surprised to see that the auto spell check feature does not work when I compose forum posts here and elsewhere using either browser.  How do I get it to work?

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,822 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Right-click in a text box and make sure Spell Check is checked.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#12 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

Right-click in a text box and make sure Spell Check is checked.

When I "right-click" with the cursor on something I've written and chosen to edit, I see a box of six items, with the top three shaded and inoperative.  Is that the area you mean as "a text box"? :

Undo

Cut
copy
paste delete

select all

When I right-clicked on the remaining space, I got a much larger selection menu of twenty items, beginning with "Back" and ending with "Properties, but no choices pertaining to spelling.

Edited by AntAltMike, 16 February 2014 - 07:29 PM.

#13 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:11 PM

When I "right-click" with the cursor on something I've written and chosen to edit, I see a box of six items, with the top three shaded and inoperative.  Is that the area you mean as "a text box"? :

Undo

Cut
copy
paste delete

select all

When I right-clicked on the remaining space, I got a much larger selection menu of twenty items, beginning with "Back" and ending with "Properties, but no choices pertaining to spelling.

Since you reinstalled this you probably have to choose the US / English Library fist before the spell checker will work.

Did you also choose to have it spell check as you type ? It is a check box on the Advanced tab of the Options.

Edited by jimmie57, 16 February 2014 - 08:32 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:25 PM

I just bought this computer used from someone who had it set up for Spanish.  I've found three or four places where I switched it to English/United States, but maybe there is another one I haven't found yet.

I've checked to enable spell chack under both the General and Advanced options,

Edited by AntAltMike, 16 February 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,567 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Wouldn't it be a wise move to completely wipe it and install everything fresh??

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:31 AM

Wouldn't it be a wise move to completely wipe it and install everything fresh??

Believe it or not, no!  I've tried.  I can access the start-up service screen by pressing F1 during power up, and am told there that I can then press F2, F3, I think F4 , and F11 to access or initiate various functions, but when I press F11, which is supposed to be restoration to initial programming, it ignores it and treats it like I had instead hit Esc.

#17 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:47 AM

Next time, before reinstalling Firefox, try opening up a command prompt and typing in firefox.exr -profilemanager . Blow away and recreate the default profile. Note that you will lose EVERYTHING doing this, including bookmarks and Addons.

"firefox.exr -profilemanager is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I also tried .exe in place of .exr, and tried placing a space before the hyphen. 

#18 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:01 AM

I googled "how do I open firefox profile manager and found an "explainer" screen on Mozilla's site.  It recommended that I use their Reset Firefox feature first, as they claim that will fix most problems.  I did so but still had no spell check.  I somehow opened a dialog box, probably by right clicking, and according to that dialog box, I had spell check enabled.  I closed the dialog box but still didn't have it.  i then opened it again and below spellcheck was a language selection that let me select English.United States, which I have consistently chosen every time such a choice has been presented to me, and the spell check immediately came on.  Now I need to see if I can do something similar to restore it to my IE10.

Edited by AntAltMike, 17 February 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:27 AM

It seems that this old computer, an HP G60 with Windows Vista that I bought a few days ago as backup while I get my Pavilion G7 repaired, cannot support IE10 so I am stuck on IE9, and as I recall, my Pavilion G7 didn't have spell check on either its Firefox or Explorer until I upgraded to IE10 last year, so, since I almost never use IE, I will just assume that I cannot get it to incorporate what I might call a native spellcheck function, and call it a night (morning, actually).

Edited by AntAltMike, 17 February 2014 - 01:12 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,822 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:11 AM

Try this: https://support.mozi...irefox-profiles

spam firewall