Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weather Nation is Improving with Local Forecasts & Radar

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,452 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

As long as you don't push exit on the remote or back up in the buffer, of course.

Yep, forgot about those...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 996 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

well you had a major storm.. and watching this channel early in the morning.. I felt that NOTHING WAS LIVE.. nothing was current.. it was old news, old info and old video.. NONE of it had the finished product that the weather channel brings. NO LIVE REPORTS.. No Cantorie in the middle of the storm.. NO nothing.. IT STUNK>. I like Directv.. and I am not gonna leave them.. but they are MESSING UP.. you don't get NEW SUBSCRIBERS with the second or third weather team.. when the crap hits the fan.. I WANT THE A TEAM.. the PROS and not some FLY BY NIGHT, throw together.. lets show stock footage of a storm.. WHO in Alabama, Georgia, THe Carolina's , Virginia would now leave their cable company for this mess of a station.. ? no one in their right minds.. that's the bottom line.. ARE YOU ADDING OR LOSING CUSTOMERS.. are you adding to your base or are you losing your base? ..

• GregLee likes this

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,110 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

You might wanna post this rant on Facebook. 

I'm delighted those lying bast***s at TWC are getting hosed. What a bunch of whining cheats. (Not speaking of the presenters)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#54 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

well you had a major storm.. and watching this channel early in the morning.. I felt that NOTHING WAS LIVE.. nothing was current.. it was old news, old info and old video.. NONE of it had the finished product that the weather channel brings. NO LIVE REPORTS.. No Cantorie in the middle of the storm.. NO nothing.. IT STUNK>. I like Directv.. and I am not gonna leave them.. but they are MESSING UP.. you don't get NEW SUBSCRIBERS with the second or third weather team.. when the crap hits the fan.. I WANT THE A TEAM.. the PROS and not some FLY BY NIGHT, throw together.. lets show stock footage of a storm.. WHO in Alabama, Georgia, THe Carolina's , Virginia would now leave their cable company for this mess of a station.. ? no one in their right minds.. that's the bottom line.. ARE YOU ADDING OR LOSING CUSTOMERS.. are you adding to your base or are you losing your base? ..

So watch CNN? They covered the storm better than TWC did and you don't have to sit through commercials every 8 minutes on top of it. Heck, CNN will cover storms that aren't only east coast based too. TWC only covers East coast storms and is essentially worthless if you live in any other part of the country because they'd rather runs their reality shows than cover weather events in other parts of the country.

Chad Myers imho is a better meteorologist than Cantore any day of the week.

Edited by Araxen, 14 February 2014 - 06:54 PM.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#55 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,091 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

well you had a major storm.. and watching this channel early in the morning.. I felt that NOTHING WAS LIVE.. nothing was current..

Turn on CNN, or Fox News.  They all had reporters standing out in the snow LIVE reporting "Its snowing" :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#56 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,483 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:51 AM

Get real. The Weather Channel was never used as a selling point when recruiting DirecTV customers. If you want live information on current weather conditions invest in a Weather Rock. It's accurate, dependable and has no monthly fees! :sure:  

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#57 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

again.. you live in those states that I just mentioned, why would you even consider D* after what they showed this week? there is no way.. not with your personal safety involved.. this was like watching a jr high school team play against the pro's.. 

#58 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,264 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

If there is local weather issues I never tuned to TWC, if it was enough for a TWC crew to be here ( they never were BTW) our local stations had it covered.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#59 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

again.. you live in those states that I just mentioned, why would you even consider D* after what they showed this week? there is no way.. not with your personal safety involved.. this was like watching a jr high school team play against the pro's.. 

Local stations are beat and you should have a battery powered AM radio for when the power goes out.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#60 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Directvs base is sports not weather.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#61 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

again.. you live in those states that I just mentioned,

.. not with your personal safety involved..

When you have weather threatening locally, you should be watching local media or your local weather service office, NOT a national media source.

• WB4CS likes this
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#62 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationLittleton, Colorado

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

I notice I watch Weather Nation just as much as I watched the Weather Channel. Which was hardly ever!

Two of the local channels in Denver have 24-7 news and weather on a sub channel. Granted it is a recorded loop but still will give you more current info then these national channels.

If you are really concerned about your safety, get a NOAA weather radio or a public service scanner. My daughter just became a police dispatcher so I got a scanner to listen to her. They are not like they used to be and must be programmed with a computer for the trunked systems. Just listening a few days will tell you what the real danger is. Sadly most if it is on the highways and streets around your home!

#63 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

Two of the local channels in Denver have 24-7 news and weather on a sub channel. Granted it is a recorded loop but still will give you more current info then these national channels.

KUSA (NBC) has weathernation as a subchannel. the difference is during the "weather on the 5's" they put in a taped local forecast (updated throughout the day) which is done by the folks at KUSA

Edited by jeffgbailey, 15 February 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#64 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,483 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

DirecTV is a satellite TV service provider, not a personal safety provider. 

• WB4CS likes this
DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#65 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,892 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Our local stations show this government provided map during severe weather:
http://www.in.gov/dhs/traveladvisory/

It is from Indiana's Department of Homeland Security and is a collection of information from each county's authority.
Currently in Indiana Clark County (near Louisville KY) is under a travel warning ... do not travel!

TWC is talking about Quintus in Boston.
Then they said it is raining in Portland.

Local on the 8's --- no mention of the emergency.

At least they are not playing "Highway Thru Hell" as listed in the guide. But there is a "named storm" in Boston ... so I suppose that is more important than whatever is wrong in Louisville.

Local sources are better. On TWC the biggest most TV attractive story gets the time ... even if showing old video of tow truck drivers battling the Canadian winter is more interesting to the majority of American viewers than some local weather problem. Their focus is on ratings ... not public safety.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#66 OFFLINE   Whogaman

Whogaman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

Wheather Who? Now all WeatherNation needs is the on screen app so you dont have to tune to channel 362 to get your local weather.

The only down side is the on screen anchors the Weather channel had. They were in the thick of bad weather. Macho Man Jim Cantory for one. !rolling

Peace Whoga

"Like the only real magic--the magic of knowledge"

#67 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:52 PM

I was watching WeatherNation, saw the LWN (local weather now) come up during the locals on the 10s. I was very disapointed. I was expecting more than just a 7 day forecast.

#68 OFFLINE   dvdmth

dvdmth

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,056 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

Severe weather coverage is the one thing TWC has done pretty well, and the one thing for which they get any ratings to speak of.

Having said that, when Colorado was hit with major flash flooding last September, I never even considered going to TWC for coverage (in fact, I don't even know what coverage they had of the event).  The places I went to were local channels 4, 7, 9, and 31, as well as 850 KOA on the radio, not to mention NOAA Weather Radio.  All local outlets with plenty of local coverage.  Plus, with DirecTV's DoublePlay feature on their DVR's, I was able to keep up with coverage from two local stations simultaneously.

In my experience over the years, local coverage of severe weather is far superior to anything put out by the national guys.  That is why I like what DirecTV has done in the past with hurricane coverage, providing national access to local TV coverage in the affected areas.  It sounds like this service will continue and may even be expanding to other types of severe weather, based on what was announced earlier this week.  I will look forward to how this will ultimately play out.

• mrdobolina likes this

#69 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 996 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

well let me say that D* uses the fact that THEY ARE NOT CABLE, in their ads all the time.. especially in areas were there is or has been bad weather.. Right after the Hurricane in New Orleans, D* was saying hey all you needed was POWER and you had us available and telling you what is going on.. and they used the Weather Channel in their examples.. unlike waiting for days or weeks for cable to be rerun.. D* is constantly stating that "WE ARE THE BEST".. then if they want to be the best, they need to USE THE BEST WEATHER AVAILABLE.. and not some Cantorie wannabees... 

#70 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,873 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

Seriously, you've got to be joking. The Weather Channel completely ignores many storms, it's only the ones that target major cities they pay attention to. There's been multiple examples of blizzards and ice storms in this thread and the other TWC threads that got ignored by them in the past month alone. (Heck James just posted an example from Today) If you insist on relying on The Weather Channel you better hope if a Tornado warning is issued for your neighborhood this spring it's part of a multistate outbreak otherwise the only thing you'll see is a marathon of Coast Guard Alaska when you turn to The Weather Channel for critical public safety information.

#71 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 651 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

well let me say that D* uses the fact that THEY ARE NOT CABLE, in their ads all the time.. especially in areas were there is or has been bad weather.. Right after the Hurricane in New Orleans, D* was saying hey all you needed was POWER and you had us available and telling you what is going on.. and they used the Weather Channel in their examples.. unlike waiting for days or weeks for cable to be rerun.. D* is constantly stating that "WE ARE THE BEST".. then if they want to be the best, they need to USE THE BEST WEATHER AVAILABLE.. and not some Cantorie wannabees...

TWC is a joke. Get over it. It's gone.

Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

#72 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,139 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

I believe Weather Nation will be on top of the hurricanes this year. They are up and coming and can not afford to drop the ball then.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#73 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,110 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

I was watching WeatherNation, saw the LWN (local weather now) come up during the locals on the 10s. I was very disapointed. I was expecting more than just a 7 day forecast.

Really? What good is a forecast 8 days and longer? There's a real curve of diminishing returns the further out one goes. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#74 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,892 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

I checked TWC's "Weather on the 8's" and got a 24 hour forecast (tonight + tomorrow). Even during live segments TWC normally shows a five day forecast. I guess that shows that WN gives more weather than TWC. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#75 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:46 PM

i'd love to know why more people don't call TWC out on BS like this...

http://www.washingto...sing-on-future/

"Kenny stressed The Weather Channel provides more live coverage than its peers and airs no taped programming between 4 a.m. and 8 p.m. eastern Monday-Friday."

this is 100% not true, a flat out lie.  my second home has fios TV for now (mainly because i don't have a dish installed there yet and adding fios select to phone and internet literally added $0 to my monthly bill) and EVERY DAY from 11am-2pm pacific (2pm-5pm eastern) there's a three hour block of reality crap.  of course, the guy who wrote the actual article didn't bother to call them out on it, and nobody else seems to be doing so either...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...