Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weather Nation is Improving with Local Forecasts & Radar

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 196 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

It's from meteorologists that used to work for the weather Channel years ago

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#42 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Have heard of upcoming Accuweather Channel, but what is Network Weather Channel?

http://www.networkweathercompany.com/

Personally I don't believe the market will bear more than a couple of channels. The ones with a better base will have a better chance to survive.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#43 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

Anyone know what day the every ten minutes extended forecast display will launch this week. The current red button app is very limited in information. I hope the graphics overlay that will appear every ten minutes on the Weathernation will be in hd unlike when it was on the weather channel hd. If they can have an interactive ad channel with hd graphics now i'm sure they can present it in hd for the Weathernation too. It's just a matter of how hard the programmers are willing to work. I assume the severe weather mix channel that launches in march will be in hd. Now this all leads to Directv Active which hasn't had a relaunch since the local on the 8s and the red button local forecast for the Weather channel launched. Hopefully when all the new weather services launch there will be a new version of Directv Active and hopefully will be in hd. Otherwise Directv should just get rid of active if they don't plan to do some major changes and enhancements to it.

#44 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

I really like this channel.  Please Directv, don't bring back TWC.

#45 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

Is the Red button weather enhancement working? I go to 361 and 362 and its not working now.

#46 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,624 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

I just checked. It's working.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#47 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

Is the Red button weather enhancement working? I go to 361 and 362 and its not working now.

remember to wait for the red button message before pressing it.

I grew up in a 3-channel world...and there's often still nothing on I want to watch!

HR44-500 w/ AM-21
HR24-200

#48 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

remember to wait for the red button message before pressing it.

Yep, you must wait for the message.  then it works anytime as long as you remain on the channel 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

I like the hint that the mix channel will include local stations.  I always watch KFOR in Oklahoma City when they are having severe weather using their internet feed.   Locals can by far, show people a state away, like me in the case of OKC, what they are in for in the next 12-24 hours, as well as keep everyone informed that wants to keep up.  Rather than bouncing all over the internet searching up local stations with webcasts where there is severe weather, it would be awesome to tune in one channel on DirecTv and let them do the searching for me, and they have all the feeds in HD already, so they wont even have to resort to using a web feed.   This could be a REAL boost in real time information disemination TWC could only hope for.

There already is a web based group of storm trackers that webcast from the middle of the storms.  DirecTv could tap into that, and could theoretically broadcast every tornado live in real time.

I am impressed.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Yep, you must wait for the message.  then it works anytime as long as you remain on the channel

As long as you don't push exit on the remote or back up in the buffer, of course.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#51 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

As long as you don't push exit on the remote or back up in the buffer, of course.

Yep, forgot about those...

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#52 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

well you had a major storm.. and watching this channel early in the morning.. I felt that NOTHING WAS LIVE.. nothing was current.. it was old news, old info and old video.. NONE of it had the finished product that the weather channel brings. NO LIVE REPORTS.. No Cantorie in the middle of the storm.. NO nothing.. IT STUNK>. I like Directv.. and I am not gonna leave them.. but they are MESSING UP.. you don't get NEW SUBSCRIBERS with the second or third weather team.. when the crap hits the fan.. I WANT THE A TEAM.. the PROS and not some FLY BY NIGHT, throw together.. lets show stock footage of a storm.. WHO in Alabama, Georgia, THe Carolina's , Virginia would now leave their cable company for this mess of a station.. ? no one in their right minds.. that's the bottom line.. ARE YOU ADDING OR LOSING CUSTOMERS.. are you adding to your base or are you losing your base? ..

• GregLee likes this

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

You might wanna post this rant on Facebook. 

I'm delighted those lying bast***s at TWC are getting hosed. What a bunch of whining cheats. (Not speaking of the presenters)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#54 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

well you had a major storm.. and watching this channel early in the morning.. I felt that NOTHING WAS LIVE.. nothing was current.. it was old news, old info and old video.. NONE of it had the finished product that the weather channel brings. NO LIVE REPORTS.. No Cantorie in the middle of the storm.. NO nothing.. IT STUNK>. I like Directv.. and I am not gonna leave them.. but they are MESSING UP.. you don't get NEW SUBSCRIBERS with the second or third weather team.. when the crap hits the fan.. I WANT THE A TEAM.. the PROS and not some FLY BY NIGHT, throw together.. lets show stock footage of a storm.. WHO in Alabama, Georgia, THe Carolina's , Virginia would now leave their cable company for this mess of a station.. ? no one in their right minds.. that's the bottom line.. ARE YOU ADDING OR LOSING CUSTOMERS.. are you adding to your base or are you losing your base? ..

So watch CNN? They covered the storm better than TWC did and you don't have to sit through commercials every 8 minutes on top of it. Heck, CNN will cover storms that aren't only east coast based too. TWC only covers East coast storms and is essentially worthless if you live in any other part of the country because they'd rather runs their reality shows than cover weather events in other parts of the country.

Chad Myers imho is a better meteorologist than Cantore any day of the week.

Edited by Araxen, 14 February 2014 - 06:54 PM.

If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#55 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

well you had a major storm.. and watching this channel early in the morning.. I felt that NOTHING WAS LIVE.. nothing was current..

Turn on CNN, or Fox News.  They all had reporters standing out in the snow LIVE reporting "Its snowing" :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#56 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,624 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:51 AM

Get real. The Weather Channel was never used as a selling point when recruiting DirecTV customers. If you want live information on current weather conditions invest in a Weather Rock. It's accurate, dependable and has no monthly fees! :sure:  

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#57 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

again.. you live in those states that I just mentioned, why would you even consider D* after what they showed this week? there is no way.. not with your personal safety involved.. this was like watching a jr high school team play against the pro's.. 

#58 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:57 AM

If there is local weather issues I never tuned to TWC, if it was enough for a TWC crew to be here ( they never were BTW) our local stations had it covered.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#59 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

again.. you live in those states that I just mentioned, why would you even consider D* after what they showed this week? there is no way.. not with your personal safety involved.. this was like watching a jr high school team play against the pro's.. 

Local stations are beat and you should have a battery powered AM radio for when the power goes out.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#60 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Directvs base is sports not weather.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

spam firewall