Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weather Nation is Improving with Local Forecasts & Radar

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:19 AM

We have not had a 24/7 news only loop for years ... the type of channel where one could go "around the world in 30 minutes"

AJAM - ch.347 - pretty much gives a half-hour segment every hour. Folks who haven't watched don't realize all the real newsmakers show up there. Only drag is still SD.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
  • mnassour likes this

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

The weather is back on the Active button. One more reason not to bring back TWC.

• mnassour likes this

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#143 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:55 PM

I hope the TWC loyalist don't inundate this thread.  Or being paid to register and critize in this forum just to get their point across.

Not paid just irritated that a good channel was removed from my channel lineup.  Nor am I a "fanboy" whose motives are shrouded  in supporting what is a obviously subpar weather channel like Weather Nation.  This debate continues to be Direct's "whipping-boy" to take subscribers minds off rate hikes and other real issues.

If programming content was a "real" issue for Direct why haven't they removed; CNN, HLN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc.  All theses channels have stopped during live news 24-Hour and put "other" programming on to save money.  The idea that the Weather Channel doesn't program 24-hour weather is nonsense.

• mhking likes this

#144 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:13 PM

If programming content was a "real" issue for Direct why haven't they removed; CNN, HLN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc.

Maybe they haven't been demanding rate increases while their viewership is declining.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#145 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,376 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:19 PM

Not paid just irritated that a good channel was removed from my channel lineup.  Nor am I a "fanboy" whose motives are shrouded  in supporting what is a obviously subpar weather channel like Weather Nation.  This debate continues to be Direct's "whipping-boy" to take subscribers minds off rate hikes and other real issues.

So, a conspiracy of sorts? Debate encouraged by management?  

I don't think so. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#146 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,799 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

This debate continues to be Direct's "whipping-boy" to take subscribers minds off rate hikes and other real issues.

Rate hikes and other issues are TWC's excuse for providing a sub-par product? Provide the weather at a reasonable price and TWC would not be having issues with any carrier.

The idea that the Weather Channel doesn't program 24-hour weather is nonsense.

They air shows about weather 40% of the time. And that is if one is kind and counts "Highway Through Hell" (about a Canadian tow truck company) or "Freaks of Nature" as weather programming. Storm Stories, Twist of Fate and Raging Nature are at least "weather history" (similar to a news documentary) but Prospectors? That is weather? No.

Even when the news channels get in to their long form programs the topics are news investigation or news history. And on most channels the crawl is there giving the headlines. News all the time. TWC? "Weather on the 8's" twice an hour.

And on Sunday afternoon while severe storms struck Florida including a tornado warning TWC aired "Twist of Fate". Yep - that is "The Weather Channel". :rolleyes:
  • sigma1914 likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#147 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,568 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

If programming content was a "real" issue for Direct why haven't they removed; CNN, HLN, MSNBC, Fox News, etc.  All theses channels have stopped during live news 24-Hour and put "other" programming on to save money.  The idea that the Weather Channel doesn't program 24-hour weather is nonsense.

Just what is subpar about weather nation? They show the weather. Done. Is it that they don't have overpaid egos, er, personalities? Is it that they don't have a big incomprehensible circle taking up 25% of the screen to tell you that a ski resort has 14 inches of new snow that could be done in a small note. Is it that they don't have reality programming that preempts the weather ticker?

If those are the reasons, I can see why you miss the weather channel.
  • mnassour likes this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#148 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

And on Sunday afternoon while severe storms struck Florida including a tornado warning TWC aired "Twist of Fate". Yep - that is "The Weather Channel". :rolleyes:

It was TWO back to back tornado warnings affecting a major outdoor sporting event. If THAT of all things doesn't qualify for breaking weather news coverage, what the heck is their threshold?

For major snow storms all you need to do is prepare before the storm hits in case the power goes out and stay off the roads until it passes. A Tornado warning is something that requires IMMEDIATE action. If you still rely on TWC for this, you are just putting your own safety at risk.

Edited by KyL416, 24 February 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#149 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,151 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

It was TWO back to back tornado warnings affecting a major outdoor sporting event. If THAT of all things doesn't qualify for breaking weather news coverage, what the heck is their threshold?

For major snow storms all you need to do is prepare before the storm hits in case the power goes out and stay off the roads until it passes. A Tornado warning is something that requires IMMEDIATE action. If you still rely on TWC for this, you are just putting your own safety at risk.

And that is my big complaint.  They keep saying how they are all about providing for your safety yet they do not at all.  And to as the government for help to get back on is unacceptable IMHO.

#150 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,151 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:06 PM

It is and it isn't the issue is they break in for nothing, and more importantly, they aren't showing weather when people would watch in prime time!  All those other channels are. And their product is not like the other channels you mentioned.  Its very narrowly focused and they aren't even being accurate anymore in comparison to other outlets.  

I mean, they showed a 100% chance of rain for me latter this week a week out.  Who the heck does that? No one else went further than 80%.

#151 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Can we stop talking about TWC like it's coming back geez, it's like the other forum's ESPN deal predictions,  Who cares what TWC or Directv say to each other, It's like the bully(TWC) it's mad for not giving up lunch money(increase).

• mnassour likes this

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#152 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

This has turned into another "The Weather Channel" thread. We already have one of those. If there's nothing more to the original topic, I'll close this one, so...
  • fleckrj and Laxguy like this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#153 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

OK

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#154 OFFLINE   DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts
  • LocationSALEM,MISSOURI 65560

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

I noticed that the weather nation channel that directv carries is different then the one that roku has which means that weather nation has three different channels one for directv one for roku and one for ota

#155 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

What have these guys been doing with the major weather events in progress?  Heavy storms, flooding, hail, tornado warnings in California and the return of bitter cold with a potential major ice storm brewing.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#156 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

I'm with you - they need to utilize live programming.

DirecTV customer since 1996

#157 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:08 AM

I'm with you - they need to utilize live programming.

Hope they start if not then I would like to see Directv add accu weather when they start up.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#158 OFFLINE   DJZack

DJZack

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

I find weather nation fulfills my requirement for my weather needs

Sent from my iPhone

#159 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

I find weathernation is poor at best for a weather source.
But so was the weather channel.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#160 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,615 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Update: DirecTV and Denver-based WeatherNation sign multi-year agreement

DirecTV and Denver-based WeatherNation announced Wednesday that they have signed a multi-year agreement that will give DirecTV's 20 million viewers 24/7 access to weather information.

DirecTV spokesman Darris Gringeri declined to disclose the length of the contract, but said the satellite TV provider began using WeatherNation in December and extended the relationship because of good viewer response.

"The overwhelmingly positive comments we've been receiving from customers made the decision to extend our agreement easy and expedient," DirecTV's chief content officer Dan York said.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...