Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recommendation on new AVR

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:27 PM

My Onkyo SR606 is crapping out on me and I'm looking to replace it. Can anyone recommend a nice replacement in the $500 ballpark? 

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Sony STR-DN1040

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,568 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

I replaced my Onkyo with a Denon a few years ago, and really like it. Mine of course is an older model now, current model would be around the X1000.

#4 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

I had Sony way back when and they ran very hot and burned up soon.

Then I went to Onkyo and that was a big improvement.

When the Onkyo died I switched to Yamaha. We have 5 of them in the family. We are happy campers.

Link to several Yamahas. http://www.bestbuy.c...ry=abcat0202003

You will get lots of recommendations for Denon and I do not have a minute of experience with them.

After you read what people like, go to the local store and see and hear them for yourself.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,917 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

I had Sony way back when and they ran very hot and burned up soon.

Then I went to Onkyo and that was a big improvement.

When the Onkyo died I switched to Yamaha. We have 5 of them in the family. We are happy campers.

Link to several Yamahas. http://www.bestbuy.c...ry=abcat0202003

You will get lots of recommendations for Denon and I do not have a minute of experience with them.

After you read what people like, go to the local store and see and hear them for yourself.

I've been using Sony AVRs for decades and never had one run hot, burn up, or wear out. Your issue "way back" with your Sony AVR was a isolated one. The STR-DN1040 received excellent reviews from CNET and others. Denon, Onkyo, Sony, and Yamaha all make fine products. My advice to the OP is to go to the Crutchfield website for research. They have a wide variety of Cambridge Audio, Denon, Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, Sony, and Yamaha AVRs along with the most informative product discriptions and photos.   

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#6 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

I am a Yamaha bigot myself but you will find a *lot* of brand loyalists here. Now is a good time to shop for close outs on last years models however and you may get a step up or two for the same money. I consider most of the brands fairly interchangeable but I have always enjoyed the Yamaha's ability to flow natural sounds across a broad range of price points. There are Onkyo people that swear by them and really feature sets at price points are incredible with them.

If I was looking today I'd likely peek at the Integra, Yamaha, Denon, and even sample Pioneer. I would avoid Sony myself not because they are bad but because to my ear they have a colder sound lacking fullness in the lower midranges. (you might find them perfect) I still get this even from my Sony BDP-S100ES BluRay players which I discovered a major audio uplift swapping for a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 so at least to my ear the Sony equipment is still a bit harsher sounding. (than I like)

Take media you are familiar with DVD, BluRay, CD, etc and try systems using speakers similar to what you have.

Don "most of the major names are comparable" Bolton

My Onkyo SR606 is crapping out on me and I'm looking to replace it. Can anyone recommend a nice replacement in the $500 ballpark? 

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#7 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for all of the input so far

Any particular way to search for the older models being phased out? I know I can find it, but wondering if there was a quick way of finding the older models

Now is a good time to shop for close outs on last years models however and you may get a step up or two for the same money. 

#8 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Best way I know is to visit local retailers (not Beast buy) and look at what they have that did not sell thru last year. The pickings may be slim but deals can be made. A locally owned business can price barter and at some point getting it off the shelf even at a break even is better than sitting on something that won't turn and have to go for a loss or write off.

Also retailers like these have "whales", customers that buy new all the time and dump their year old stuff when they do. These are people and deals you can only find through the local retailers.

The web is great for finding known items at the best price in current mass retail demand. There is no substitute for community relations with local retailers though. You can learn much about their business, their staff actually are enthusiasts of what they sell so they know what they are selling.

In order to sell a particular line they (smaller retailers) must commit to a minimum order and place it pre season, then hope they can turn it all before next. What didn't turn may be that gem you are looking for. If they are advertising heavily other than brand co-op stuff (manufacturers will share advert costs if their stuff is the add content) then that is overhead you the consumer has to pay for. Local mom-n-pops can be your friends.

I have one retailer in the city that uses the co-op advertising with Sony so much he gets massive pay backs which he applies to a major inventory purchase (making his cost minimal) and marks it down accordingly till its all gone (nobody can compete) I got two 52 inch XBR TVs a few years back for less than the list price for one.

Don "the journey is full of learning and perhaps oppurtunity" Bolton

Thanks for all of the input so far

Any particular way to search for the older models being phased out? I know I can find it, but wondering if there was a quick way of finding the older models

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

I would also recommend Denon.  They usually come out with their new models somewhere between April and June.  So if you can limp along until then you can either get a great deal on the old models being phased out, or pick up one of the new ones.  The new ones will probably have HDMI 2.0, so if you think you might get a 4K TV some day you might want to wait for them.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#10 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:09 PM

I have used a Onkyo 609 and am currently using a  Sony

STR-DN1040  

you can check them out as well while shopping

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:57 PM

If you like Sony, make sure its the ES line...I was originally a Pioneer guy, moved up to Yamaha, and now I'm into the Denon's....

Edited by CCarncross, 11 February 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

My onkyo 606 apparently handles PCM like crap and there is a very annoying hummmmmmm when playing anything with a PCM audio source. Anyone aware of any current AVRs that also suffer from this issue? I want to stead clear.. So annoying

Edited by TorinTPG, 11 February 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#13 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Can you hook up a digital coax or optical cable from the DTV receiver to the AVR and make it work for you for good sound ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#14 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

That sounds analog. There should be no generic hum from digital connections. As jimmie57 rightly asks do you have digital connections here? this sounds like you have composite audio connections in play here.

Do you perhaps have BOTH a digital and an analog connection from the audio outs on your PCM source devices? If so lose the analog.

Don "forgive me if I'm projecting a 'tude here, just trying to help" Bolton

My onkyo 606 apparently handles PCM like crap and there is a very annoying hummmmmmm when playing anything with a PCM audio source. Anyone aware of any current AVRs that also suffer from this issue? I want to stead clear.. So annoying

#15 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

That sounds analog. There should be no generic hum from digital connections. As jimmie57 rightly asks do you have digital connections here? this sounds like you have composite audio connections in play here.

Do you perhaps have BOTH a digital and an analog connection from the audio outs on your PCM source devices? If so lose the analog.

Don "forgive me if I'm projecting a 'tude here, just trying to help" Bolton

I've always run HDMI audio from from source to the receiver to ensure I can receive all of the HD audio codecs. My understanding is that optical is limited on the new HD audio codecs and limits me to 5.1 audio. I have a 6.1 setup

I'll dink around with the optical cable, but If I replace the AVR, issue should hopefully be resolved   :)

Side note - Onkyo apparently fixed this issue with some different hardware on the HDMI board, but this was in the newer versions of the 606 and not the original versions of the model line

Edited by TorinTPG, 11 February 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

Can you hook up a digital coax or optical cable from the DTV receiver to the AVR and make it work for you for good sound ?

I dont have the issue with DTV usually since most audio sources are sent as DD to the AVR. The issue shows up mostly on my PS3

Some people report ground loop issues, but I've determined that it is not caused by a ground loop

I'll try the optical connection tomorrow just for fun

#17 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:16 PM

HDMI is fully digital and you are right about the HD codecs. Despite optical having the bandwidth, the manufacturers all got together on leveraging HDMI. It forced sales of new equipment after all.

So the next question is your HDMI cable routing if it could be picking up some interference thats oscillating in the analog realm somehow. And lastly is the TV on when you are consuming PCM? Some of the TVs can punch out some analog hum but normally thats using composite connections.

Do you have an alternate source for your PCM signals? An optical/coax out CD player? An older DVD player that has HDMI? Is it your BluRay player doing this to you?

This is really an odd one. I am most curious how a digital audio path can produce what describes as an analog hum.

Please note I am not an audio equipment engineer, and I did not stay in a holiday inn express last night. I am only an enthusiast that has spent far too much of my kids inheritance on such toys (i've six home theater/music systems in my home currently) this is to say I've spent a lot of time futzing with these toys and through the various evolution iterations of equipment from DLP to LED.

Don't waste your time on my questions unless you feel compelled to attempt to locate the source of the problem before you spend on new equipment only to have the same issue.

One thing that comes to mind are the HDMI settings and if they are set to pass power in addition to signal, and/or are they set to control connected devices?

Don "new toys are fun" Bolton

I've always run HDMI audio from from source to the receiver to ensure I can receive all of the HD audio codecs. My understanding is that optical is limited on the new HD audio codecs and limits me to 5.1 audio. I have a 6.1 setup

I'll dink around with the optical cable, but If I replace the AVR, issue should hopefully be resolved :)

Side note - Onkyo apparently fixed this issue with some different hardware on the HDMI board, but this was in the newer versions of the 606 and not the original versions of the model line

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,059 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

So the next question is your HDMI cable routing if it could be picking up some interference thats oscillating in the analog realm somehow.

Oh man ! That's really something to imagine ! :D

#19 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

HDMI is fully digital and you are right about the HD codecs. Despite optical having the bandwidth, the manufacturers all got together on leveraging HDMI. It forced sales of new equipment after all.

So the next question is your HDMI cable routing if it could be picking up some interference thats oscillating in the analog realm somehow. And lastly is the TV on when you are consuming PCM? Some of the TVs can punch out some analog hum but normally thats using composite connections.

Do you have an alternate source for your PCM signals? An optical/coax out CD player? An older DVD player that has HDMI? Is it your BluRay player doing this to you?

This is really an odd one. I am most curious how a digital audio path can produce what describes as an analog hum.

Please note I am not an audio equipment engineer, and I did not stay in a holiday inn express last night. I am only an enthusiast that has spent far too much of my kids inheritance on such toys (i've six home theater/music systems in my home currently) this is to say I've spent a lot of time futzing with these toys and through the various evolution iterations of equipment from DLP to LED.

Don't waste your time on my questions unless you feel compelled to attempt to locate the source of the problem before you spend on new equipment only to have the same issue.

One thing that comes to mind are the HDMI settings and if they are set to pass power in addition to signal, and/or are they set to control connected devices?

Don "new toys are fun" Bolton

I can get the audio hum with my TV powered off. I didn't pull the AC plug, but it makes me question an oddity I had the other day. The PCM buzz is loudest with my PS3. When I toggle through the different on-screen menus of the PS3, the buzz actually gets slightly louder and softer depending on the menu. In general, the more text-rich the menu, the softer the PCM buzz. If I back out to the main menus on the PS3, full strength. I still get the buzz with the TV off, but maybe there is some off feedback from the TV adding to this

I don't have any older equipment that I can try PCM on. My PS3 is my blu ray player for now. My WD TV Live also causes the PCM buzz, but it is very slight in comparison to the PS3

I have the audio link from my TV set to send signal to the recevier to control the volume via HDMI, but the PCM issue was present prior to enabling this option

Weiiiiiiird

#20 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

This goes back fourty or more years but unplug the PS3 and turn that plug over and reconnect (wall plug) back in the day we had to do that to eliminate buzz in our amplifiers. Pre polarized plugs and recptical days.

Hmm my old PS3s have grounded polarized plug do the newer ones have an external power supply with two wire?

Clueless here I'm afraid

Don "but you knew that already" Bolton

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Protected By... spam firewall...And...