Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recommendation on new AVR

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:50 AM

Try changing the PS3 to bitstream just to see if the hum goes away (I realize this means you can't do Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA, this is just as a test).

Edit/

I'm assuming you have the older style PS3 and not the newer PS3 Slim.

Edited by Beerstalker, 12 February 2014 - 11:51 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:44 AM

This goes back fourty or more years but unplug the PS3 and turn that plug over and reconnect (wall plug) back in the day we had to do that to eliminate buzz in our amplifiers. Pre polarized plugs and recptical days.

Hmm my old PS3s have grounded polarized plug do the newer ones have an external power supply with two wire?

Clueless here I'm afraid

Don "but you knew that already" Bolton

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

I have the original PS3 that has the internal PSU with the grounded plug

I read about a lot of issues with the PS3 humming

I've tried running the receiver on a separate outlet on a different breaker and it remained. I also tried snipping the grounding pin from the plug - didn't work so I re-installed a new power cable

#23 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Try changing the PS3 to bitstream just to see if the hum goes away (I realize this means you can't do Dolby TrueHD or DTS HDMA, this is just as a test).

Edit/

I'm assuming you have the older style PS3 and not the newer PS3 Slim.

I am on Bitstream. The loudest time for it is in the menus when the PS3 is just outputting PCM audio. Movie it isnt as bad, but still enough to be annoying

#24 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

I bought the Yamaha YHT-497 and am pleased with it. I did have to change from HDMI input one to the HDMI/DVI input two due to getting the "pink screen" on input one. I upgraded from a ten year old RX V361. The new AVR does 4k pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Edited by machavez00, 13 February 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#25 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

Anyone ever owned a Marantz? I'm looking at this one:

http://www.crutchfie...ntz-NR1604.html

All of the reviews say that the audio quality is great even though it has low wattage on the specs

Edited by TorinTPG, 15 February 2014 - 02:58 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

All of the reviews say that the audio quality is great even though it has low wattage on the specs

My personal Yamaha is 50 watts per channel and it is plenty loud. If you want the neighbors to hear it you might need more watts.

My volume digits go from a minus 50 to a plus 50 for the reading. I play it on minus 30 almost all the time. This means it is turned up just 25% of it capability.

Edited by jimmie57, 15 February 2014 - 06:07 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:41 AM

An AVR's power rating should be matched with your speaker's power rating to avoid damaging the speakers. That said, if you're going to use a low wattage AVR your speaker's should have a high efficiency rating in order to produce more sound. 

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#28 OFFLINE   TorinTPG

TorinTPG

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

I ended up with the Sony DN1040 - very pleased so far!

Thanks again for all of the input

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

Sorry I didn't see this before but Marantz and Denon are owned by the same company D&M Holdings

http://en.wikipedia....ki/D&M_Holdings

They share a lot of components and are both great in my opinion. 

Don't be so concerned about the lower power ratings.  Denon, Marantz, and Harmon Kardon as well as some of the other lesser known brands, tend to be more accurate in the way they rate their power, as compared to the others that spout off exaggerated numbers.

That said, hope you are happy with the Sony, it does seem to have a nice list of features.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#30 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

If you like Sony, make sure its the ES line...I was originally a Pioneer guy, moved up to Yamaha, and now I'm into the Denon's....

Well, there you have it....glad solicited advice gets followed.  Sony is pure crap unless you buy the ES line.

#31 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

I ended up with the Sony DN1040 - very pleased so far!

Thanks again for all of the input

What he said -I agree!

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#32 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Well, there you have it....glad solicited advice gets followed.  Sony is pure crap unless you buy the ES line.

I'm currently using a Sony STR-DN1020 in my Family Room and a Sony STR-DA5600ES in my Home Theater Room. Both are rock solid performers.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#33 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,345 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

When the TS asked, he received recommendations for six different brands (Sony, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Integra and Pioneer), along with a few recommendations to avoid some of those five brands.

What was he supposed to do after receiving recommendations on five different manufacturers? Buy one of each?

#34 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,463 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

I have one Pioneer, two Yamaha's and one Onkyo. The Pioneer in my bedroom is the newest of the bunch, being a 5.1 receiver while the others are 6 and 7.1. All are solid performers in their own right, however I find the Yamaha receivers to be more user friendly.

Woot! is currently offering deals on several Denon models in Woot! Plus (through Feb. 28).

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

Protected By... spam firewall...And...