Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can you mount dish so weather not a problem?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grunes

grunes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCollege Park, Maryland

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

We are considering changing from cable to Dish or DirectTV, to save money.

But one friend says that their satellite dish needs to be re-aligned after major storms, about once a month (in Maryland, near DC). 

1. What fraction of sat dish customers have this problem? Please confine responses to those areas that sometimes have thunderstorms, but rarely have truly extreme weather.

2. Is there a an economically practical way to mount the dish so it isn't a problem? Method must not violate National Electric code. (I presume attic mounts loose too much signal strength?)

3. I see that they design motor-driven satellite dish antennas for RVs that self-align. How reliable are the various systems?

4. You could do the same thing electronically with an antenna array. Any comments on available systems?

5. What fraction of such customers have other weather problems - e.g., loss of signal in rain or snow?

Edited by grunes, 10 February 2014 - 08:34 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:48 PM

Your friend needs a better install, as that sort of thing shouldn't happen. Either it is mounted in an insecure location (on rotting underlayment on the roof, for instance) or needs some additional stabilization if it is very exposed to the wind. If he's getting aligned a monthly basis he should escalate his issue with Directv or Dish, as the case may be, and demand they send a more experienced installer out who can evaluate what the real problem is and fix it, rather than applying a band aid of realignment on a monthly basis.

I can't give you percentages for any of those, and I doubt anyone can, but there are many, myself included, who have had dishes up for years without needing realignment. There are occasional weather problems, nothing can prevent rain fade when the rain is heavy enough. In the DC area such heavy rain won't last long so it shouldn't be a big issue.

Edited by slice1900, 10 February 2014 - 08:48 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

I didn't even need realignment after we had a windstorm that took out power to 90% of cincinnati. For snow, it is useful to have the dish easily accessible, but you can also use a super soaker and blast it away.

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

I've lived in three houses with DIRECTV installed, and each one has been better than the other- mounting stronger, wires cleaner, overall neater. In my current house, I've not had any weather outages for the year I've been here. We get very strong winds here, not so much rain, though this last week, 3" over five days. No problem at all. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

My DirecTV dish and my DISH dish have both survived 60+ MPH winds repeatedly in the last month alone, without needing realigned.

LOL, my DirecTV KaKu  dish has 3 monopoles on it, but the DISH 110/119/129 is just up on the roof on it's own.

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,387 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

I live in FL. Lots of high winds/thunderstorms all the way up to hurricanes.  Since 2000, we've only had one realignment and that wasn't the purpose of the visit: we received a new box and the installers made a routine realignment (I think our lowest signal was 89; most were 92-95).

Depending on the strength of the storm, we will lose our signal for several minutes. But I doubt the total time during the last year exceeded 30 minutes.  Our neighbors lost their cable signal (reason still unknown), and it was several days before it was repaired.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

you could reduce outage of sat signal to minimum if you will install 10m [30'] dish with custom LNBF holder and three separate Ku/Ka LNBFs

perhaps you could try easy way - first time approach and really available to buy from Internet - with 3m [10'] antennae, to see how long the outage will lasts

I've seen nice 3...4.5M "spoon" Ka dishes in south European countries.... they're hold pretty well during local storms

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

you could reduce outage of sat signal to minimum if you will install 10m [30'] dish with custom LNBF holder and three separate Ku/Ka LNBFs

perhaps you could try easy way - first time approach and really available to buy from Internet - with 3m [10'] antennae, to see how long the outage will lasts

I've seen nice 3...4.5M "spoon" Ka dishes in south European countries.... they're hold pretty well during local storms

Is there a smiley missing?

An absurd suggestion. Have you been drinking?

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

perhaps 10M would be hard to obtain and install, but I've used 10' and found that's your post is absurd without merit

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:52 PM

One of the advantages to current DSS tech is not needing to use a dish the size of what was used in the old C Band days....I have to agree with Laxguy, making a suggestion like that today is rather absurd.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

1m for international channels, 1.2m for Alaska, 2m for Hawaii ... are not absurd; so 3m is doable for sure (I did that)

I would love to have 10m dish, but ... money is the issue, if you remember such thing included in estate's sale nearby a couple years ago

BTW, the "advantage" of small dish is really close to absurdness if you will look at the topic's meaning

Edited by P Smith, 11 February 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,242 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

A 10m dish at an estate sale? Did a TV station die?

As stated in the earlier posts ... a properly aimed standard dish should be good enough for most people - certainly not as troublesome as the stories heard by the thread starter. Professionally installed ... or at least installed at a professional level.

The larger dishes for some areas (AK/HI) are a standard in themselves. Not really needed in most of the US.
  • satcrazy likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   grunes

grunes

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCollege Park, Maryland

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

I guess one obvious question is - what band do DishTV and DirectTV require, and can most 3 m dishes work with them? Maybe the extra gain would be high enough to work well in an attic... Though I would start to wonder whether that big a dish wouldn't start to attract lightning through the attic. After all, I think it would effectively be grounded through the sat receiver, and that's a pretty big piece of grounded metal.

If used outdoors, I would think that a 3 meter dish would be more directional, and therefore more sensitive than the typical mini-dish to wind storms, as well as having a greater cross section to wind. No?

In any event, it sounds like wind is usually not a problem for most of you. The friend had a mast-mounted system - but her husband does his own re-alignments, so maybe something isn't mounted as tight as it should be.

Edited by grunes, 11 February 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

I guess one obvious question is - what band do DishTV and DirectTV require, and can most 3 m dishes work with them? Maybe the extra gain would be high enough to work well in an attic... Though I would start to wonder whether that big a dish wouldn't start to attract lightning through the attic. After all, I think it would effectively be grounded through the sat receiver, and that's a pretty big piece of grounded metal.

If used outdoors, I would think that a 3 meter dish would be more directional, and therefore more sensitive than the typical mini-dish to wind storms, as well as having a greater cross section to wind. No?

In any event, it sounds like wind is usually not a problem for most of you. The friend had a mast-mounted system - but her husband does his own re-alignments, so maybe something isn't mounted as tight as it should be.

the bands are Ku [12GHz] and Ka [18/20 GHz]

any size will work for them - bigger is better, less outage during heavy clouds, storms

no attic install !

grounding is better do at a pole (a tube of appropriate diameter)

sensitive ? not if it's properly mounted

Edited by P Smith, 11 February 2014 - 06:11 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

A 10m dish at an estate sale? Did a TV station die?

how you forgot it ? discussed two years ago (actually it's 97' ie 29.5M !!!)

http://www.nytimes.c...llion.html?_r=0

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Again, unless you're a die-hard DIYer with knowledge of satellite waves and how best to pull them in, you'll be better off with a standard install. And then there are aesthetics. And a large base of similar installs. 

Above all, don't let your friend peak your dish!!  :)

#17 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,283 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

no matter how big the dish is , is not going to work inside an attic.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

well, there is  a chance to get it works in attic: if you'll have big glass part of a roof, like 30"x30" size and the glass should not have a lead in it

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

Oh, great fix!! I recommend gorilla glass, installed at a cost of $380,000. 

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

so, finally you got the game right !

isn't time to shell out $3M for that estate with 30M dish ?!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...