Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I'm about to cut the cord - any advice?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

I've been with DirecTV for 18 years, but honestly Sunday Ticket is what has kept me around.  I am thinking of getting most of my programming with OTA and possibly a Tivo OTA DVR (supplemented by Hulu and/or Netflix).  My commitment is up next month.

Couple of questions - are you able to put your account on hold for any period of time without having to return all your receivers?  I never paid much attention to those that only keep their DirecTV service active for the NFL season, but wondering if there is any feasible way to do it.  I know I don't want to go through an installation call every time I activate or cancel.

I read on these forums that DirecTV offers kind of a cable equivalent of really basic programming, but that it is not advertised.  Anyone know how I might be able to get that if it is still available?

I would like to stay if at all possible, but I can no longer justify paying over $100 every month.  Does retention offer anything special when canceling?  I know $20 off a month and a few months of some premium won't do it for me.  If I could find a way to keep it at $50 or less I could swing that, but I really am prepared to walk away.  I know I need HD and a DVR plus a base package, so I don't see how it would be possible, unless I can get that basic basic package for around $30.  Anyway, worst case for me is free OTA and paying for online Sunday Ticket or whatever option might be out there this summer.  Heck, they might try to lure me back as a new customer with some crazy deals.  My only reservation there would be a 2 year commitment.

Thanks for any constructive advice.

HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

there is new bloke: DVR+ aka k77, check AVSforum http://www.avsforum....r-owners-thread

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,840 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

Beyond NFL football, are there any sports that you enjoy? If so, then unfortunately subscription television is the only way to get the local teams.

Also, what channels do you really enjoy? I ended up downgrading from a Total Choice Xtra Classic package which I had since 2003 to a DirecTV Entertainment package. And, quite frankly, I'm not missing the channels which I used to pay the extra money for.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:44 AM

Couple of questions - are you able to put your account on hold for any period of time without having to return all your receivers?  

I read on these forums that DirecTV offers kind of a cable equivalent of really basic programming, but that it is not advertised.  Anyone know how I might be able to get that if it is still available?

I would like to stay if at all possible, but I can no longer justify paying over $100 every month.  Does retention offer anything special when canceling?  I know $20 off a month and a few months of some premium won't do it for me.  If I could find a way to keep it at $50 or less I could swing that, but I really am prepared to walk away.  I know I need HD and a DVR plus a base package, so I don't see how it would be possible, unless I can get that basic basic package for around $30. 

You can suspend service for up to 6 months per year. You would not have to return the receivers while suspended and will not be able to watch recordings (except a short time before the authorization times out...if the coax is removed prior to calling to have the suspend effective).

The cheapest base packages are Family (English) $29.99 or Más Latino (Spanish) $36.99 monthly. Either package would allow NFL Sunday Ticket to be added, and you would have to add the additional fees for HD, DVR and whole home to the base package price if applicable of course. 

#5 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:47 AM

Sports is the hardest to replace that's why I am still here. If I were you I would suspend service for six months and give it a try you can come back very easy.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#6 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

Suspend may be the way to go.  I want to avoid the hassle of disconnecting and boxing up receivers, and of course installation appointmentas.  I enjoy NHL hockey, but can get that elsewhere.  I would be satisfied with local network coverage of college football.  I don't really care about the local sports channel - my teams are out of market.  I would miss ESPN and CNN and Palladia - channels I frequently browse.  

I will have to look into this Family package a little more though - $30 + HD + DVR would get me where I want to be.  Does it include locals?  All I really want is locals and Sunday Ticket.

Thanks for al the input!

HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#7 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

You can get locals into your HR with a AM21 if Family dose not include them.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#8 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

Slightly off topic, but if you are computer savvy, I would recommend setting up a MythTV PC for your OTA HD DVR, no monthly fees.  I am getting closer to cutting the cord myself and am thinking more and more I could get by with just an OTA HD DVR and blu rays.  I would miss hockey and football but the cost is getting ridiculous and TV in general just seems to be getting worse and worse with reality crap everywhere.  I am going to suspend service after the world cup this year and see how long I can make it.

• nola56 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

All DIRECTV packages include local channels (where available).  DIRECTV does not offer a locals-only option.

There's little point in having a DVR if you can't get ahold of the content you would want to record.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

I wanted a DVR that records OTA, and Tivo seems to do the trick.  That would be enough content for me, supplemented with Hulu and/or Netflix.  This assumes dropping DirecTV.

HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

I wanted a DVR that records OTA, and Tivo seems to do the trick.

As long as you get an older TiVo that supports OTA, this should work.  The latest TiVo designs do NOT support OTA.

Given that so many of the big sporting events are moving away from broadcast TV (and how, conversely, some of the lesser events are moving to broadcast TV), even the casual sportsman will suffer.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

I wanted a DVR that records OTA, and Tivo seems to do the trick.  That would be enough content for me, supplemented with Hulu and/or Netflix.  This assumes dropping DirecTV.

there are alternative to expensive solution as a Tivo; see my post # 2, check AVS forum's OTA threads

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

there are alternative to expensive solution as a Tivo; see my post # 2, check AVS forum's OTA threads

At $250 plus a suitable hard drive, they certainly aren't giving them away.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

there are cheaper OTA DVRs... BTW, you could buy 0.5 TB USB enclose for $50 at Fry's and it will bring DVR+ in par to normal DTV DVRs (not HR34/44): 2 tuners, EPG for 14 days

#15 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

I hate the TiVo interface so I'd go with the recently released Channel Master DVR+.

#16 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

At $250 plus a suitable hard drive, they certainly aren't giving them away.

The Channel Master DVR+ is a very new product so there aren't any discounts available yet.

If you compare the retail price with a new OTA capable TiVo with lifetime subscription, $249 is really not a bad deal. Any number of 500 GB external hard drives can be had for ~$50, so that's $300 total - and it's a one time outlay. For most of us, that's equivalent to 2 or 3 months of sat service.

By comparison, the low end TiVo Roamio retails for $199 plus $499 lifetime service, that's a whopping $700! Oofta!

Edited by Reaper, 11 February 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

As long as you get an older TiVo that supports OTA, this should work.  The latest TiVo designs do NOT support OTA.

Given that so many of the big sporting events are moving away from broadcast TV (and how, conversely, some of the lesser events are moving to broadcast TV), even the casual sportsman will suffer.

The low end TiVo Roamio supports OTA.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

The Channel Master DVR+ is a very new product so there aren't any discounts available yet.

If you compare the retail price with a new OTA capable TiVo with lifetime subscription, $249 is really not a bad deal. Any number of 500 GB external hard drives can be had for ~$50, so that's $300 total - and it's a one time outlay. For most of us, that's equivalent to 2 or 3 months of sat service.

By comparison, the low end TiVo Roamio retails for $199 plus $499 lifetime service, that's a whopping $700! Oofta!

sure, but see post # 2 and use URL from it to get a grip of price change in next two years (a hint - price trend of its older cousin: HDT-610R)

Edited by P Smith, 11 February 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

I'm looking at the low end Roamio, which I would be getting as a birthday gift. So I would lay out the lifetime fee (I'm exploring a code that knocks $100 off) which I figure would take 4 to 5 months until I'm free and clear. Haven't had a chance to explore the AVS link yet but will. Looking over my current Series Manager and most shows are from the broadcast networks, the rest are available via Hulu. Sunday Ticket remains my biggest concern. I just need my teams games for 16 weeks, so I don't know which way to go. I heard PS3 went away last year, so maybe an online streaming solution? Maybe I'll just suspend for the summer and go OTA with no DVR. I don't know:)
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#20 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,034 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:58 AM

The low end TiVo Roamio supports OTA.

And you can buy it from walmart for $150

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

spam firewall