Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I'm about to cut the cord - any advice?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

sure, but see post # 2 and use URL from it to get a grip of price change in next two years (a hint - price trend of its older cousin: HDT-610R)

I'm not disagreeing with you. I think the Channel Master DVR+ is already a good deal.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

And you can buy it from walmart for $150

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

but you can't use it without sub !

why not to be honest up to all fee amount ?

#23 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 530 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

but you can't use it without sub !

why not to be honest up to all fee amount ?

Well, it kind of goes without saying, doesn't it? Retail for TiVo service is either $14.99 per month or $499.99 lifetime.

BTW, Walmart.com shows the low end Roamio for $199 and not $150, and it's out of stock online, though it's reportedly in stock at several stores near me.

Edited by Reaper, 12 February 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

On the shelf right now in MT Pocono Walmart. $149.99

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

On the shelf right now in MT Pocono Walmart. $149.99

plus $180 per year

if one year is min sub, you'll pay $330 for it; DVR+ is $250 + $39 for 500 GB drive/$59 for 1TB ie $310 pops

#26 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

Um ok it cost me $520 a year now for just equipment, so what's the difference?

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

that's your money and it will be your choice

if you need gold plates and pans with swarovski  crystals - go for it; nobody care

Edited by P Smith, 12 February 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,203 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

Looking over my current Series Manager and most shows are from the broadcast networks, the rest are available via Hulu. Sunday Ticket remains my biggest concern.

While you may not have series links set up for "cable channels", there's a pretty good chance that your watching them. Hulu Plus covers many series but they don't deliver live event programming.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#29 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

While you may not have series links set up for "cable channels", there's a pretty good chance that your watching them. Hulu Plus covers many series but they don't deliver live event programming.

My "go to" live event channels are ESPNNews, CNN, and Palladia.  I will miss them.

HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#30 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

Come back here to let us know haw its working for you when you cut the cord.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#31 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

Come back here to let us know haw its working for you when you cut the cord.

I'll stick around to keep up, because I'll probably just suspend at first and see how it goes. I'm not out of contract for another month anyway. I have a feeling I'll be back for Sunday Ticket, especially if they give incentives. It's tough to let go of something I've actually fought for to keep for 18 years. I needed my lawyer write into my condo bylaws the right to have a dish. But times are changing, so we'll see. I know I'll never return to cable though!
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#32 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

With Hulu/Netflix you got all your local tv shows and movies.

For sports you got MLB.tv,NHL Game Center,and NBA League Pass broadband

Ofcourse ESPN 3 is free.There are some streaming sites that stream sports programming including PPV.

DTV customer since 2002
recievers-HD-DVR,three SD receivers
sports packages-NFL ST,MLB EI,ESPN Gameplan,and NHL CI,
premuims-HBO,Cinemax,sports pack and Showtime
TV-Sharp Aquas 37 inch 1080p

#33 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Live sports are the main reason that many (including me) find it difficult to completely cut the cord.  I can't speak to NBA or NHL access (not my thing), but I did check into some options not that long ago.  My interests are Big 10 (Purdue), NFL (Bears), and MLB (Twins).  I was not able to find options that supported my viewing games live streamed, even on a subscription basis, without some sort of subscription television (satellite, cable).  To be fair, I get decent OTA and could see a number of the Bears games each season for free (I live in NFC North territory).  I could get about 2 Twins games a year, 1 Purdue football and 2 Purdue basketball games (all vs. Univ of MN).  But that was too short a list.

BTN2Go (Big Ten To Go) - Only available to customers of participating TV Providers.  See http://www.btn2go.com/btn2go/FAQ.jsp

You can't watch live home territory MLB.tv games - they are subject to blackouts but can be viewed approximately 90 minutes after game conclusion.  See http://mlb.mlb.com/m...aq_blackout.jsp for details on MLB.tv blackouts.

Re: ESPN3 (WatchESPN), it's not free unless you are a US college student or US military personnel.  From the WatchESPN website (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/about):

"Live streams of all the WatchESPN Networks are available at no additional cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV subscription through participating TV providers.

Access to live programming on the ESPN3 channel of WatchESPN.com is available at no additional cost to fans with subscriptions to participating high speed internet service providers. Click HERE to view a complete list of participating providers.

ESPN3 is also available at no cost to U.S. college students and U.S.-based military personnel on computers connected to on-campus educational networks and on-base military networks."

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#34 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Live sports are the main reason that many (including me) find it difficult to completely cut the cord.  I can't speak to NBA or NHL access (not my thing), but I did check into some options not that long ago.  My interests are Big 10 (Purdue), NFL (Bears), and MLB (Twins).  I was not able to find options that supported my viewing games live streamed, even on a subscription basis, without some sort of subscription television (satellite, cable).  To be fair, I get decent OTA and could see a number of the Bears games each season for free (I live in NFC North territory).  I could get about 2 Twins games a year, 1 Purdue football and 2 Purdue basketball games (all vs. Univ of MN).  But that was too short a list.

BTN2Go (Big Ten To Go) - Only available to customers of participating TV Providers.  See http://www.btn2go.com/btn2go/FAQ.jsp

You can't watch live home territory MLB.tv games - they are subject to blackouts but can be viewed approximately 90 minutes after game conclusion.  See http://mlb.mlb.com/m...aq_blackout.jsp for details on MLB.tv blackouts.

Re: ESPN3 (WatchESPN), it's not free unless you are a US college student or US military personnel.  From the WatchESPN website (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/about):

"Live streams of all the WatchESPN Networks are available at no additional cost to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV subscription through participating TV providers.

Access to live programming on the ESPN3 channel of WatchESPN.com is available at no additional cost to fans with subscriptions to participating high speed internet service providers. Click HERE to view a complete list of participating providers.

ESPN3 is also available at no cost to U.S. college students and U.S.-based military personnel on computers connected to on-campus educational networks and on-base military networks."

If you google first row sports or vipbox tv then you can watch any game including home/local games.

DTV customer since 2002
recievers-HD-DVR,three SD receivers
sports packages-NFL ST,MLB EI,ESPN Gameplan,and NHL CI,
premuims-HBO,Cinemax,sports pack and Showtime
TV-Sharp Aquas 37 inch 1080p

#35 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

If you google first row sports or vipbox tv then you can watch any game including home/local games.

I dont think those sites are even legal.  Just because you can find it on the internet, doesnt make it ok.

#36 OFFLINE   CouchTater

CouchTater

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

I'm considering the same thing I'm recently retired and having to trim the household budget. I've been with Directv since it's inception but I'm paying $110 a month and thats with no sports packages or movie channels just 2 HD dvrs. I would miss my local sports on ESPN but otherwise most everything else I could get through OTA or HULU and Netflix.Probably $20 or more a month are taxes. I also have Play ON which allows me to play on TV shows I download on my computer. I figure even with an OTA dvr like TIVO and add ons like Hulu I can still get my costs down below $50 a month. Next to go is my land line phone and switch to something like Basic. Any one with any additional tips for lowering costs or alternatives I would appreciate the input.

#37 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:31 AM

With really poor PQ and if too many people try to stream they start shutting people off.

#38 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

I dont think those sites are even legal.  Just because you can find it on the internet, doesnt make it ok.

You're right!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#39 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,154 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

I'm considering the same thing I'm recently retired and having to trim the household budget. I've been with Directv since it's inception but I'm paying $110 a month and thats with no sports packages or movie channels just 2 HD dvrs. I would miss my local sports on ESPN but otherwise most everything else I could get through OTA or HULU and Netflix.Probably $20 or more a month are taxes. I also have Play ON which allows me to play on TV shows I download on my computer. I figure even with an OTA dvr like TIVO and add ons like Hulu I can still get my costs down below $50 a month. Next to go is my land line phone and switch to something like Basic. Any one with any additional tips for lowering costs or alternatives I would appreciate the input.

Go to cheaper packages.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#40 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 530 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

I suggest the Channel Master DVR+ as an alternative to TiVo. Lifetime for a DVR+ with a 500 GB hard drive is about $300 while the low end TiVo Roamio would run $700 for lifetime at retail price.

For home phone I suggest Ooma. There are upfront hardware costs but then the monthly fees are minimal. The deal referred to in the link has ended but the author gives a good overview of his experience with Ooma.

Also for free wireless Internet, FreedomPop is the bomb. Instead of having an iPhone and a $90/month phone bill, I have an iPod Touch and a FreedomPop 4G hotspot. I pay $5/month to have the full, unthrottled 4G speed. They also have Android phones starting at $119 with no contract and completely free plans. Most recently they've added a for-home wireless router. It's hard for some to believe that FreedomPop is for real but they are.

Edited by Reaper, 20 February 2014 - 03:25 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...