Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I'm about to cut the cord - any advice?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Go to cheaper packages.

They can't compete with free OTA and low cost streaming plans like Netflix and Hulu.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Go to cheaper packages.

In my case I am at the lowest package (Choice) that contains the sports channels (Big 10, FS North during MLB season, NFL Network during football season) that I desire.  I've considered dropping down a package level during the "off-season" but between college football/basketball, MLB, and the NFL there is no off-season.  ;)  As may be the case with others, if I were to go to a cheaper package I may as well drop DirecTV in favor of Netflix, Amazon Prime Instant Streaming, and PlayOn (Hulu).  Sports is currently keeping me a DirecTV customer, albeit with fewer DVRs (down to 2).  It all depends on your viewing desires and budget allowance.

Edited by Tubaman-Z, 20 February 2014 - 10:40 AM.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#43 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

I've been with DirecTV for 18 years, but honestly Sunday Ticket is what has kept me around.  I am thinking of getting most of my programming with OTA and possibly a Tivo OTA DVR (supplemented by Hulu and/or Netflix).  My commitment is up next month.

Couple of questions - are you able to put your account on hold for any period of time without having to return all your receivers?  I never paid much attention to those that only keep their DirecTV service active for the NFL season, but wondering if there is any feasible way to do it.  I know I don't want to go through an installation call every time I activate or cancel.

I read on these forums that DirecTV offers kind of a cable equivalent of really basic programming, but that it is not advertised.  Anyone know how I might be able to get that if it is still available?

I would like to stay if at all possible, but I can no longer justify paying over $100 every month.  Does retention offer anything special when canceling?  I know $20 off a month and a few months of some premium won't do it for me.  If I could find a way to keep it at $50 or less I could swing that, but I really am prepared to walk away.  I know I need HD and a DVR plus a base package, so I don't see how it would be possible, unless I can get that basic basic package for around $30.  Anyway, worst case for me is free OTA and paying for online Sunday Ticket or whatever option might be out there this summer.  Heck, they might try to lure me back as a new customer with some crazy deals.  My only reservation there would be a 2 year commitment.

Thanks for any constructive advice.

Get a roommate.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#44 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Get a roommate.

BTW, my OTA is up and running with very strong signals.  Just a matter of getting the DVR.  

When you suspend service, do they make you renew any commitment when you resume service?  

Also, do they treat you better for Sunday Ticket if I were to cancel now and come on as a "new" customer for the NFL season, or would I get the same "deals" if I suspend and renew?  I'm thinking of switching back and forth between suspension with Tivo active, then active DirecTV service for half a year.  I'll be out of contract and need to stay that way to make this happen, so I'm guessing any "deals" made available come with commitments.  Do they ever offer Sunday Ticket deals without that commitment?

Edited by BuffaloDenny, 20 February 2014 - 02:26 PM.

• sigma1914 likes this
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Panasonic TH-58PZ800U Plasma
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#45 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

You can suspend service for up to 6 months per year. You would not have to return the receivers while suspended and will not be able to watch recordings (except a short time before the authorization times out...if the coax is removed prior to calling to have the suspend effective).

Is there a recommended approach regarding removing the coax before calling to suspend?  If I read your post right, if I do that can I still watch recorded programs?

Edited by BuffaloDenny, 20 February 2014 - 01:28 PM.

HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#46 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

Is there a recommended approach regarding removing the coax before calling to suspend?  If I read your post right, if I do that can I still watch recorded programs?

Remove the coax from the satellite in on the back of each DVR before you call, however you probably won't be able to watch recorded programs the entire 6 months only a short time (which as I have read from other posts can be anywhere from days, weeks or [unlikely] months).... YMMV. Also I believe if the DVR loses power/reboots you won't be able to no longer watch either (might be a good idea to have a UPS). 

http://www.dbstalk.c...ending-service/

http://www.dbstalk.c...orded-programs/

http://www.dbstalk.c...nding-dvr-back/

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#47 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

OK, now I'm thinking instead of cutting the cord completely I could go on a 6 month on/6 month off (suspend account) schedule. Because of my love of football and the requirement to be active 6 months of the year, I figure I could suspend from March thru August, then activate my account from September thru February.

Does DirecTV allow this type of repeating pattern? When you re-activate, does all your season pass settings remain and you go back to your previous programming package? I'm on a grandfathered package now. My contract period will be over end of month.
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#48 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,202 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

OK, now I'm thinking instead of cutting the cord completely I could go on a 6 month on/6 month off (suspend account) schedule. Because of my love of football and the requirement to be active 6 months of the year, I figure I could suspend from March thru August, then activate my account from September thru February.

Does DirecTV allow this type of repeating pattern? When you re-activate, does all your season pass settings remain and you go back to your previous programming package? I'm on a grandfathered package now. My contract period will be over end of month.

I believe the rule is no more than six months in a year.

And yes everything will still be on your DVR activating and deactivating doesn't change any settings on the DVR.

#49 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

I believe the rule is no more than six months in a year.

Yes the rule is normally you can suspend once within a 12 month period for up to 6 months, they don't want people calling in and suspending for like a month at a time every other month.

They can extend the 6 month limit in certain circumstances, like moving, house being built, etc.  They usually won't extend it unless you have a good excuse like that though.  I had a buddy who suspended for 9 months while his house was being rebuilt after a fire, DirecTV had no problems extending the suspension in that case.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#50 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

I'm never out of contract.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#51 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:25 AM

Remove the coax from the satellite in on the back of each DVR before you call, however you probably won't be able to watch recorded programs the entire 6 months only a short time (which as I have read from other posts can be anywhere from days, weeks or [unlikely] months).... YMMV. Also I believe if the DVR loses power/reboots you won't be able to no longer watch either (might be a good idea to have a UPS). 

http://www.dbstalk.c...ending-service/

http://www.dbstalk.c...orded-programs/

http://www.dbstalk.c...nding-dvr-back/

Your mileage may vary - perhaps depending on if the DVR was leased or owned. I have an SD DVR for which I canceled service a couple of months ago, removing the coax first.  I can still readily access recorded programs today.  And we had a power outage just last night (no UPS).  I just remembered - it also has no authorization card as D* wanted it back. That seems to have been hit/miss with my owned DVRs.  Sometimes they want the card back, sometimes not.

Edited by Tubaman-Z, 21 February 2014 - 11:26 AM.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#52 OFFLINE   BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 691 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Get a roommate.

I'm never out of contract.

The award for the douchiest, least helpful poster goes to..... 

• sigma1914 and Tubaman-Z like this
HR20-100S/Seagate
H20-100
Pioneer Elite AVR SC-05
Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD
Sony PS3 Blu-Ray

#53 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

The award for the douchiest, least helpful poster goes to..... 

At least the roommate part was somewhat helpful if he/she helps with the bill, so the least helpful is the contract post:)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...