Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Get diff. locals

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fuzzy

fuzzy

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:11 AM

how hard is to get diff. locals at directv

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,651 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

Locals come off spot beams, so there aren't too many "different" locals that you can receive.

A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   fuzzy

fuzzy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

Locals come off spot beams, so there aren't too many "different" locals that you can receive.

but if you are in the spotbeam of the locals how hard is it?

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,343 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:56 AM

You get the locals for where you live. Not hard at all. Getting locals for where you do not live is a violation of DirecTV terms of service and discussion of how to violate TOS is a violation of our forum rules.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

It's impossible to get out of area network stations. In my experience anyways. I live in north east Mississippi. Literally 12 miles down the road in the next town they get Memphis networks. I get Columbus/Tupelo. There is something called frequently viewed channels out side your area. But from my understanding you have to get the provider ie:Memphis in my situation to ask DTV to broadcast them. That will never happen. Best thing to do is look into OTA antenna for HD. If you can't do that your basically stuck with what you got. It sucks sometimes. We just got HD locals here less than 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
B00BOO

#6 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:05 PM

The magical correct answer:  Move to a new city. Then you'll get their locals instead of the locals you receive now.  

#7 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

There is something called frequently viewed channels out side your area. But from my understanding you have to get the provider ie:Memphis in my situation to ask DTV to broadcast them. That will never happen.

It's called Significantly Viewed Channels. A user here Joshjr might be able to tell you more about the details. He has first hand experience on the arm rangling it took to finally get the neighboring stations added for his area, it took a lot of calls to the stations since in most cases the person you get on the line has no idea what the term means or that this law exists.
http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200076

#8 OFFLINE   booboo

booboo

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for correcting my error. I apologize for getting it wrong. I had no intentions of deliberately misleading anyone. I give up trying to do that in my area. I made at least a dozen or so phone calls in the years past with no results.

B00BOO

#9 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,321 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

It's impossible to get out of area network stations. In my experience anyways. I live in north east Mississippi. Literally 12 miles down the road in the next town they get Memphis networks. I get Columbus/Tupelo. There is something called frequently viewed channels out side your area. But from my understanding you have to get the provider ie:Memphis in my situation to ask DTV to broadcast them. That will never happen. Best thing to do is look into OTA antenna for HD. If you can't do that your basically stuck with what you got. It sucks sometimes. We just got HD locals here less than 2 years ago.

Not true.  DirecTV offers DNS stations for anyone that is not covered by a an affiliate in their DMA.  I have east and west coast DNS feeds and my locals.  That is partially because I am grandfathered in but if anyone lives in a short market they can apply for a waiver.  If they truly are in a short market, there is no one to deny the waivier and it will be approved.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#10 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,321 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:50 AM

Thanks for correcting my error. I apologize for getting it wrong. I had no intentions of deliberately misleading anyone. I give up trying to do that in my area. I made at least a dozen or so phone calls in the years past with no results.

Can I ask who you were calling?  DirecTV is not who you wanna call for these things.  It really only seems to get the interest of the neighboring station if they are gaining something other then a few people.  I have 2 of the possible 3 neighboring channels now and continue to work on the 3rd one.  There are many many hoops they can make you jump through.  It is worth the time though.  Even thought I imagine most people in my county do not know they have those 2 station because of the work I did, it is still rewarding to know they are enjoying the in state locals they wanted but did not know what to do to get them.  I am happy to help anyone in this area.  I am willing to make calls myself.  Get me some info on where you live, what DMA you are currently in & what stations you are trying to get and I will take a look at it.

HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#11 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

Get me some info on where you live, what DMA you are currently in & what stations you are trying to get and I will take a look at it.

I am curious if D* customers in the Bowling Green, KY DMA have had waivers approved for the DNS channels? Any thoughts? It's my understanding D* currently does not offer any locals in that DMA.

As far as OTA in that market: FOX, CW & CBS are on sub-channels and only SD. 

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV    Live Chat with DirecTV Customer Service

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#12 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,321 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

I am curious if D* customers in the Bowling Green, KY DMA have had waivers approved for the DNS channels? Any thoughts? It's my understanding D* currently does not offer any locals in that DMA.

I have no way of knowing if they approve waivers.  If you give me your zip code & county I will look into it and see what I kind find out on options you have available to you. 

Sony KDL-46HX800

#13 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

http://www.directv.c..._local_channels

--

This is the local look up tool. Simply enter the zipcode and it will tell you if locals are available in that area, curtesy of DTV's website.

--

http://www.directv.c...assetId=1200076 - This is their page on Neighboring (Signifigantly Viewed Locals)

#14 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

For me, I am in the Denver, Colrordo Springs and Cheyenne spot beam. The Broadcast tower fro Cheyenne is 50 miles north of here; the one for Denver is about 50 miles south of here. Over the air, with a very good antenna, you can receive both cities. However, I cannot get the Cheyenne channels on DirecTV, nor cold I get them on DISH (when I subscribed to them).

The point is, this is done by zip code. It doe snot matter if the signals can get to you, over the air, thanks to various restrictions (thanks to NAB and Congress), you only get what is designated for your zip code. If I lived in Fort Collins (closer to Chyenne), I probably would get both Cheyenne and Denver channels. I think if I just moved 5 miles north, into Larimer County, I would get both Cheyenne and Denver.

Of course, TV signals do not stop at county lines or stop t certain zip codes, but leave it to Congress to come up with their own laws dealing with how the broadcast spectrum operates. The certain are counter to the basic laws of physics. These are the same "laws of physics" which claim that TV signals travel through mountains, mesas and hills like they do on flat land. Hence, why trying to get a waiver for DNS, before either DirecTV or DISK provided the Denver channels, was next to impossible.

#15 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,067 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

So for your situation, if you really want to receive Cheyenne locals, put up an antenna.

Without laws allowing retransmission of copyrighted content, cable and satellite customers wouldn't be able to receive local stations via their provider at all, and would have to put up an antenna in addition to their subscription. Maybe the laws could be written better, but there would always be people who aren't happy with their situation.

Those who can't receive locals due to terrain or distance should be grateful for any ability cable or satellite provides to receive locals/network programming, rather than complaining that they want to receive different ones or additional ones beyond those they already get. Before cable they would have been out of luck.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

but if you are in the spotbeam of the locals how hard is it?

it doesnt matter, they can only provide you the locals based on your location and the boundaries for your DMA(Designated Market Area).

#17 OFFLINE   aqua77002

aqua77002

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

I have no way of knowing if they approve waivers.  If you give me your zip code & county I will look into it and see what I kind find out on options you have available to you.

I live in Bowling Green (42101), and we do not get any locals from DirecTV. I do get locals through an antenna and the AM-21. CBS 40 in SD. Fox just became HD in the last couple of weeks. CW has been in HD for a while (at least widescreen - I don't ever watch CW programming.). I do wish that we had locals through DirecTV or could get the distant locals since they are not available.

#18 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

I was pointing out a situation where someone lives between two markets. I could have easily used Baltimore and Washington;, Philadelphia and Nee York City, Milwaukee and Chicago, Los Angeles and San Diego or Boston and Providence.

By the way, when I lived in Connecticut, the cable system in Groton, provided Boston, Connecticut and Rhode Island TV stations. It also included WWOR and WPIX from New York City.  If I were to live in Grotoin today, and had satellite, I would just get the Connecticut stations. Even though Groton is less than 40 miles from Providence.

In affect, unless this changed since the mid 1980s, local cable operators have more leeway in pulling in signals from multiple markets than satellite does.  So, I do not see a reason why satellite cannot provide all stations uplinked to a particular spot beam to their subscribers. The distances out here, one is lucky to have more than one market on a spot beam, but in more populated ares, there are multiple markets uplinked.

By the way, the Comcast Digital Fort Collins cable system does include KGWN (CBS affiliate from Cheyeene) i its line up, but DirecTV does not. Fort Collins is about 20 miles form KGWN's transmitter.

So for your situation, if you really want to receive Cheyenne locals, put up an antenna.

Without laws allowing retransmission of copyrighted content, cable and satellite customers wouldn't be able to receive local stations via their provider at all, and would have to put up an antenna in addition to their subscription. Maybe the laws could be written better, but there would always be people who aren't happy with their situation.

Those who can't receive locals due to terrain or distance should be grateful for any ability cable or satellite provides to receive locals/network programming, rather than complaining that they want to receive different ones or additional ones beyond those they already get. Before cable they would have been out of luck.

#19 OFFLINE   Dcm210

Dcm210

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:40 PM

some stations stream their network. Google or bing can help you,

DTV customer since 2002
recievers-HD-DVR,three SD receivers
sports packages-NFL ST,MLB EI,ESPN Gameplan,and NHL CI,
premuims-HBO,Cinemax,sports pack and Showtime
TV-Sharp Aquas 37 inch 1080p

#20 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,121 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:18 AM

I live in Bowling Green (42101), and we do not get any locals from DirecTV. I do get locals through an antenna and the AM-21. CBS 40 in SD. Fox just became HD in the last couple of weeks. CW has been in HD for a while (at least widescreen - I don't ever watch CW programming.). I do wish that we had locals through DirecTV or could get the distant locals since they are not available.

Thank you for confirming that D* doesn't carry locals as I thought that was indeed the case. I also didn't know that Fox and CW had gone HD as I was simply going on the last TSReader information (dated 1/2012) at RabbitEars.info for your DMA.

So is WBKO running triple HD feeds because it looks like Fox and CW+ are both sub-channels? Unless something has changed that is different from the information at RabbitEars... I find it hard to believe they are running ABC (13.1), FOX (13.2) and CW+ (13.3) all in HD simultaneously. I know dual HD OTA is more common these days in a few markets. You think that maybe the CW+ is actually widescreen SD 480i and not HD? What resolution does your TV actually show for each?

Have you actually ever tried applying for waivers for the distant locals before, or do you just assume D* wouldn't provide them since you get adequate OTA signal? I found the Local Channel Availability search tool for DNS on the D* website and plugged in an address of a restaurant in your zip code and it showed a Yes beside DNS Availability. I am sure that doesn't guarantee you would receive them but seems as if you could at least submit waivers. I will post a screenshot below.

Bowling Green KY DNS Availability.PNG

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV    Live Chat with DirecTV Customer Service

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

spam firewall