Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I-70 Utah: No bull, no service for 106 miles

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:56 AM

From Deseret News:

No bull, no service for 106 miles

Consider today’s column a public service announcement: If you’re ever driving on I-70 between the towns of Salina and Green River, do yourself a favor and check your gas gauge. It could save you a lot of grief.

That’s because out of the thousands and thousands of miles that make up America’s vast interstate highway system — almost 50,000 at last count — there is no longer stretch of blacktop without services than the one between Green River on the east and Salina on the west right here in Utah.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Several people have pointed out that there are places to turn around on I-70 between Salina and Green River. Still, if I'm traveling there, my plan: Salina/Green River is a mandatory fill-up point.

Of course, everyone here knows that already, right? RIGHT?

From Google Streetview:

Green River going west:
"No Services on I-70 next 106 miles" prior to exit 160
"No Services on I-70 next 100 miles" after exit 157 (US-6/US-191)

Salina goes east:
"No Bull" Billboard
Blurred Blue sign.... no services? (Thanks, Google)
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,710 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

From Deseret News:

No bull, no service for 106 miles

My 1995 Astrovan gets 6 MPG.  I keep it basically as a mobile parts shed when I infrequently go out on big installation jobs.  Thank God it has a huge gas tank - 28 gallons - because with even a 20 gallon tank, I'd be cutting it awfully close.  Back during the gas shortages of the 1970s, I commonly had to allow for a 70 mile journey from Concord, New Hampshire to Hanover with no service available in between... and with no cell phone.  I had a 1973 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, which had the third worst fuel milage of any car ever tested by the EPA, and the only two that "beat" it were a Lamborgini and a Ferrari,  And the Custom Cruiser had that screwy electric rear door that contracted to under the rear deck, necessitating a smaller than standard gas tank.  When the performance of my  455", 4bbl V-8 (the only engine available) functionally deteriorate to a V-3, I was probably only getting 4 miles to the gallon and could barely make the 70 miles.

#3 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 935 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

No service for 106 miles....and for many years no cell service either.(Personally, that's a good thing!!) I know this section of I70 well. We've spent several vacations in the region. Going from East to West, it crosses the San Rafael Swell, a beautiful geographic area of Central Utah. We have camped, hiked, mountain biked and explored many parts of the Swell. Unbeknownst to most travelers, a mile or 2 North or South of the hiway are spectacular vistas and deep canyons, all accessible via the many "Ranch Exits" along the route. My advice, fill up in Green River and set out for a day of exploring, you'll be impressed whats available just a short distance from an Interstate!!!

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

If you do a YouTube search for I-70 Utah or I-70 Colorado, look for driving time-lapse videos by FreewayBrent, FreewayJim, InterstateKyle, or ScrewdUPClickV2 to get an idea. I have a planned road trip where I plan to drive those those sections.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,719 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

My 1995 Astrovan gets 6 MPG.  I keep it basically as a mobile parts shed when I infrequently go out on big installation jobs.  Thank God it has a huge gas tank - 28 gallons - because with even a 20 gallon tank, I'd be cutting it awfully close.  Back during the gas shortages of the 1970s, I commonly had to allow for a 70 mile journey from Concord, New Hampshire to Hanover with no service available in between... and with no cell phone.  I had a 1973 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, which had the third worst fuel milage of any car ever tested by the EPA, and the only two that "beat" it were a Lamborgini and a Ferrari,  And the Custom Cruiser had that screwy electric rear door that contracted to under the rear deck, necessitating a smaller than standard gas tank.  When the performance of my  455", 4bbl V-8 (the only engine available) functionally deteriorate to a V-3, I was probably only getting 4 miles to the gallon and could barely make the 70 miles.

My mom and dad had  the '72 version of that Olds Custom Cruiser - it could pass everything on the road except a gas station, especially when towing a 5000 pound travel trailer and the whole family. I seem to recall it got a bit better than 4 MPG, however....

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

I have driven this section of highway many times. Usually get gas In Grand Junction or Richfield. Have bought gas at Green River (Arby's in the gas station). I don't ever remember the mileage between stops ever being a big deal for me.

I did enjoy this sign on I-15 between I-70 and St. George Utah though:

Attached File  DSCN0109.JPG   70.82KB   5 downloads

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

I have driven it several times as well..  I felt that there where stretches in texas along the 10 that where more remote..  :)

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,336 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:47 PM

No Bull sign on Flickr
http://www.flickr.co...ens/2399116712/

My van can go 300 miles on a full tank ... I've driven more than 400 miles on long trips at highway speeds. I'd probably fill up in Salina or Green River (depending on direction of travel) if I was past the 200 mile trip mark.

The good news is gas in Salina is $3.199 or $3.499. Green River is $3.349 or $3.399 depending on the station. No $4.999 rip off prices such as near the Orlando airport.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,710 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

My mom and dad had  the '72 version of that Olds Custom Cruiser - it could pass everything on the road except a gas station, especially when towing a 5000 pound travel trailer and the whole family. I seem to recall it got a bit better than 4 MPG, however....

I think the EPA highway figure was 6.7 or 6.9 MPG, but I had severe engine damage that reduced my performance to three or four cylinders.  Because of that,I was also getting just 40 miles to each quart of oil.

I once got it up to 117 MPH with three passengers in it.

Edited by AntAltMike, 14 February 2014 - 01:38 PM.

#10 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

I once got it up to 117 MPH with three passengers in it.

The others jumped out???

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#11 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

I was just reminded that US-6 between Tonopah, NV and Ely, NV is 167 miles between gas stations. This may be the longest distance between gas stations in the continental United States.

#12 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Sounds like there's a good business opportunity about half-way between.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#13 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

Sounds like there's a good business opportunity about half-way between.

That's what I was thinking, but getting the infrastructure to the middle is the hard part....otherwise someone would have already done it  :smoking:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#14 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

It's a paved US highway near a missile range and there are a couple of airstrips along there.  Shouldn't be too much trouble.  I would think the airstrips would have aviation fuel.  Maybe not.

#15 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,527 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

And if I'm reading right, half-way appears to be in Nye County.  According to Wiki, brothels would be legal there, but there are none currently.  Maybe a full service facility?

#16 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,823 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 04 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

There is extremely low traffic on that route.

#17 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 March 2014 - 03:09 PM

There is extremely low traffic on that route.

I can vouch for that. We made that trip once in August on our way to Yellowstone Park. I made sure we had a full tank of gas to start with. Nice views and not too hot.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

spam firewall