Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv Promotion

Genie

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maldez

Maldez

• Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCortland, NY

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

I received an automated phone call this morning from Directv about a promotion, but that all agents were busy and then the call ended. Anybody know what promotion they could be running? I've been trying to upgrade to a free Genie for months now, and am wondering if maybe I finally got lucky.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

No idea about a specific phone call, but what attempts have you made in the past? Are you going to try again? How long a sub, and do you have a lot of premiums? 

And welcome to DBSTalk! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

Do what you can to determine that it was actually DIRECTV calling and not a reseller trying to set you up with a new account.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Another thing that would be helpful to know is if you are under contract. Secondly, if it was Directv and it was them trying to get you upgraded to the genie, then they will call again.

Don't be afraid to be yourself.

#5 ONLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Do what you can to determine that it was actually DIRECTV calling and not a reseller trying to set you up with a new account.

Emphatically agree.

You have no certainty that it was DTV, and not a party seeking your personal information.

If you want DTV credits/promotions, contact DTV, tell them what happened, and ascertain if DTV has anything available for you.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Emphatically agree.

You have no certainty that it was DTV, and not a party seeking your personal information.

If you want DTV credits/promotions, contact DTV, tell them what happened, and ascertain if DTV has anything available for you.

This is good advice.  However, be sure to call the regular DirecTV numbers, do not just call back the number from your caller id that called you, or the number they left in the message, with out at least checking those numbers out on google.

There is a pretty big scam going around right now where numbers are calling you and they look just like a normal area code and phone number.  However, they are actually more like 1-900 numbers, and when you call them back you get charged like $5/minute and stuff like that.  Same thing with texting back numbers you don't recognize.  Some of them end up being those text to donate $5 or sign you up for a $3/month club of some kind etc.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   Maldez

Maldez

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCortland, NY

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

No idea about a specific phone call, but what attempts have you made in the past? Are you going to try again? How long a sub, and do you have a lot of premiums? 

And welcome to DBSTalk! 

I've called DTV a few times over the past several months and they keep saying my free Genie will be available "any month now", so I thought finally, this is it. Turns out it was just an offer to get the NBA package at half price. No sale.

I've been a DTV customer since 1995 and have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on their programming over the years, so you'd think they could give me a stinkin' free upgrade, don't you? New customers get free Genie and free NFL Sunday Ticket, but loyal customers get the Nada Package.

Thanks for the welcome to DBSTalk....looks like a great site!

Edited by Maldez, 12 February 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Maldez

Maldez

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCortland, NY

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Thx, they called again this evening with the same message  including the hang-up and my caller ID said "Directv".

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

Thx, they called again this evening with the same message  including the hang-up and my caller ID said "Directv".

What was the number on the caller ID ?

You can look it up here and see what others are saying they found out about the number.

http://www.reportthe....com/index.html

Edited by jimmie57, 12 February 2014 - 06:11 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 OFFLINE   Maldez

Maldez

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCortland, NY

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

What was the number on the caller ID ?

You can look it up here and see what others are saying they found out about the number.

http://www.reportthe....com/index.html

516-453-6809

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,859 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

This other web site similar to the previous link says it is DirecTV according to one person.

Another says DirecTV has no phone number like that.

Lots of them say it is just annoying.

http://whocallsme.co...aspx/5164536809

Edited by jimmie57, 12 February 2014 - 09:47 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#12 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 951 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

This number appears to be some DirecTV reseller and not an actual corporate DTV number. 

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,374 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:10 PM

is definitely not DirecTV  as this number is from Nassau County NY and DirecTV has no "business" offices there

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Maldez

Maldez

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCortland, NY

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:23 PM

is definitely not DirecTV  as this number is from Nassau County NY and DirecTV has no "business" offices there

Just for fun I called the number, and I'm now pretty sure it's legit, as the guy knew I had just submitted a request to have my account suspended soon. But have to admit it's odd coming from Nassau county and not having an 800 toll-free prefix.

#15 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

Been with Directv forever and have never received a phone call from them.

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

Only call I've received were to follow up that an install went fine. 

I'd avoid the number that initiated the call....

#17 OFFLINE   Maldez

Maldez

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCortland, NY

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

The plot thickens. We got another call this evening from the 516-453-6809 number and a guy told my wife that it would be no problem to give us a free equipment upgrade. When I took the phone the guy hung up, or we got disconncected. I call back, got another guy, told him what just happened, and he said because my account is scheduled for suspension they can't offer any upgrades. So then why did they call me? There's something very odd about the whole thing but I don't know who or what they're trying to pull.

#18 OFFLINE   hrobbs

hrobbs

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

When I took the phone the guy hung up, or we got disconncected. 

Yeah, it's legitimate or just a common disconnection - happens all the time now a days.

Edited by hrobbs, 13 February 2014 - 09:00 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

Yeah, see post 16.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Genie

Protected By... spam firewall...And...