Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whats up with no DJS

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Are the DJS on strike or something? What's going on??

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Matt The Cat, formerly one of the  50's on 5 DJ's posted this link on his FB page.

In a move that’s modest but still frustrating, SiriusXM satellite radio has taken the disc jockeys off two more music channels, 50s on 5 and 90s on 9.

As it happens, this erases several jocks that New York listeners know, including WAXQ (104.3 FM) morning man Jim Kerr, Pat St. John and Norm N. Nite, all of whom hosted shows on the ’50s channel.

SiriusXM saves a few bucks in salaries here. The main goal, presumably, is making those channels music-intensive — a trend that has permeated all of music radio over the last 10 years.

The thinking is that listeners want music, not voices.

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

Matt The Cat, formerly one of the  50's on 5 DJ's posted this link on his FB page.

In a move that’s modest but still frustrating, SiriusXM satellite radio has taken the disc jockeys off two more music channels, 50s on 5 and 90s on 9.

As it happens, this erases several jocks that New York listeners know, including WAXQ (104.3 FM) morning man Jim Kerr, Pat St. John and Norm N. Nite, all of whom hosted shows on the ’50s channel.

SiriusXM saves a few bucks in salaries here. The main goal, presumably, is making those channels music-intensive — a trend that has permeated all of music radio over the last 10 years.

You are very correct - I cancelled my service -because of the added Voices.

• Dude111 likes this
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

Dump the Yakkety-Mouths?  YEAH!!!  YahOO!!  YIPPEE!!

Now if we could get broadcast stations to do that, I might be able to listen to radio again.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#5 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

I just heard Pat St. John on 60s on 6.

I remember him from WPLJ.

I even remember when WPLJ was WABC-FM.

#6 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hehe,amazing........ After all these years they finally are realising this??

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Hehe,amazing........ After all these years they finally are realising this??

Well depends.  I listen to my Morning Talk Show because of the host(s).  I certainly like less music there.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,739 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

I don't see why with all the channels they can't have a mixture of both.

#9 OFFLINE   vfr781rider

vfr781rider

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

I wish they'd take them off the Pulse.  I get so tired of the same old morning antics every freaking day.  I just want music!

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:21 PM

Technically, would it be that hard to have a subchannel with narration, DJ, descriptive audio, etc. that could be selected or not by the listener ??

My Starmate 5 is 'aware' of the titles played on other channels and alerts me if something I consider a favorite turns up on another channel, it can't be that hard to have as an an option a DJ on a given channel or not.

#11 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

I don't see why with all the channels they can't have a mixture of both.

I agree!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#12 OFFLINE   scr

scr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Good news about the 50's on 5 I'll have to listen to it now.

I really wouldn't mind the DJ chatter if they wouldn't talk once the music starts. I never liked it on free OTA radio and I like it even less when I'm paying royalties to listen to music on XM. It would seem like there is some kind of prize to win for the most worthless words said during the song intro. If they would just shut up once the music started till it stopped all would be fine with me that's why I have mute.

• Dude111 likes this

#13 OFFLINE   ces1948

ces1948

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

I kind of like the chatter on the 50's, 60's and 70's channels. I've heard most of the songs a million times so hearing the DJ's actually involks the feel of being back in those days and listening to the radio. JMO

• REDSKINSFAN47 likes this

#14 OFFLINE   REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts
  • LocationWoodbine,MD

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

Good news about the 50's on 5 I'll have to listen to it now.

I really wouldn't mind the DJ chatter if they wouldn't talk once the music starts. I never liked it on free OTA radio and I like it even less when I'm paying royalties to listen to music on XM. It would seem like there is some kind of prize to win for the most worthless words said during the song intro. If they would just shut up once the music started till it stopped all would be fine with me that's why I have mute.

it always made it hard to record your favorite songs on a reel to reel or cassette tape, had to wait till talking stopped this would cut off part of the song.:)

hr20,hdmi to living room,componant mirred to office,h20kit hdmi,bedroom mine r15,bedroom daughters h20,other d10,slimline dish mounted on back of house,18 in.round (spare),on 3ft pipe in ground watered by dog daily.ota on roof.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,306 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:18 PM

One is paying royalties to LISTEN, not to record. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:49 PM

To me I prefer listing to a radio station where the DJ announces the name of the song and artist either after every song or every other song. Stations that play songs with put any announcers seem boring. Makes a radio station seem more listener friendly with the announcing of song and artist, time announcements, weather announcements.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

spam firewall