Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Did Mozilla Just Kill Firefox?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

They decided to include preloaded paid Spam by default. I haven't seen if there's a way to kill it or opt-out.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

There is a free extension that I use called "No Script".

It will selectively let you block almost everything, even parts of the pages you want to see.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,968 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

Describe this better - I'm not seeing in with the current version.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,241 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Perhaps the TS is referring to this recent news?

Mozilla Will Sell Ads In Firefox To Create A New Revenue Stream

http://techcrunch.co...revenue-stream/

http://www.zdnet.com...ser-7000026216/

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,494 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Trying to transition to the IOS advertising plan . . .

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

Here is how to disable it

Goto about:config

Set the following

browser.newtab.url;about:blank

browser.newtabpage.enabled;false

Edited by Dude111, 13 February 2014 - 08:21 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

The critical paragraphs in the first link of the OP are at the end (emphasis added):

And that’s about it — 90 percent of Mozilla’s yearly revenue comes from Google. As Firefox’s market share is shrinking, the foundation needs to find a new revenue stream. While Mozilla used to be one of Google’s major partners, the company may renegotiate a much less favorable deal now that it has its own browser — Chrome is now much more popular than Firefox, as well.

For the last couple of years, Mozilla and the advertising industry have been at odds. The foundation created the do-not-track feature to prevent targeted advertising. When users opt in, the browser won’t accept third party cookies anymore, making it much harder to display targeted ads around the web. Last year, Mozilla even chose to automatically block third-party cookies from websites that you hadn’t visited.

Now, Mozilla wants to play ball with advertisers. It’s unclear when Mozilla is going to show promoted tiles to its new users. The foundation probably wants to talk with potential advertisers first.

What I hate is the misleading information. The most accurate headline about intent is Mozilla's Firefox Seeks To Generate Revenue Away From Google Deal By Incorporating Ads In Browser which reflects a problem that I believe derives from ideological changes at Google.

At one time Google helped along with many others to support the non-profit Mozilla open source operation. But that seems to have shifted away taking with it some technology (albeit licensed where necessary).

I'm also getting a little more than skeptical about Eric Schmidt whose orientation seems to have become as much or more about politics as technology.

Mozilla has to find a way to survive without depending on the likes of a Google or a Microsoft. But I think Wikipedia has demonstrated that it's difficult to survive depending on a broad base of fickle supporters.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:21 PM

I just saw this at the bottom of a screen today:

"Firefox automatically sends some data to Mozilla to enrich your experience"

A week ago, when I was reinstalling Firefox, I thiink I had the option of declining somethig called Haiku, but when I reinstalled Firefox in another computer yesterday, it didn't give me the option of declining it and instead simpliy noitified me I had "given" it to me.

Edited by AntAltMike, 16 February 2014 - 02:21 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...