Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast to purchase Time-Warner Cable

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

From Business Insider:

Comcast to purchase Time-Warner Cable

Comcast is set to buy Time Warner Cable in an all-stock deal that values Time Warner at $159 per share, CNBC's David Faber reports on Twitter.

At $159, Comcast would be paying an 18% premium to the stock's closing price. It would value Time Warner Cable at ~$44.4 billion. Comcast is valued at $146.5 billion.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Also being reported by Reuters (through Yahoo), Bloomberg, and MarketWatch.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Ouch, glad I don't use Time Warner for Internet. Comcast is the one that lets other customers connect using your cable modem, plus the Netflix throttling, etc.

It's going to be a bit extra painful for ex Insight customers, some of which were in this area. They just dealt with the switchover to Time Warner.

#3 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

That's me, the guy that just made it through the switch from Insight to TWC. And now Comcast.

This is awful.

Cincinnati Bell has fiber cabinets all over the place in my area. Hopefully they'll pull it down my street soon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:30 PM

As a current TWC internet customer and former Comcast internet customer I'm sort of happy to see this. At least Comcast has been busy upgrading their networks while TWC's been doing zip,

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,814 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

Doesn't the FCC still need to approve this?

If they get it, they'll have NY and LA, the #1 and 2 markets. Get ready for CSN-NY (SportsNetNY) and CSN-LA (TWCSN).

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 12 February 2014 - 11:04 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

If this merger is approved, then what is there to prevent a Dish-DirecTV merger?
  • PCampbell and Dude111 like this

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,272 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

As a current TWC internet customer and former Comcast internet customer I'm sort of happy to see this. At least Comcast has been busy upgrading their networks while TWC's been doing zip,

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Same here;

So what does this mean for me, assuming government regulators allow it, TWC's service (and their weird logo) will disappear for Comcast?

Or should I prepare myself for a "Comcrap" experience as they're otherwise popularly known?

Presently have double play with TWC at ~$60.00/mo. for 12/1 internet which has stayed at this speed seemingly forever combined with their digital voice phone service i just signed up for at ~$15.00/mo. at a 1 year introductory rate + another $5.00/mo. for rental on a eMTA telephone modem. 

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

After completed I'm wondering if the new Comcast could be a truly good techincal and economic alternative to satellite?

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,258 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:33 AM

If this merger is approved, then what is there to prevent a Dish-DirecTV merger?

Nothing. There's no way they'd be blocked if they allow comcast to buy Time Warner Cable.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,258 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:34 AM

After completed I'm wondering if the new Comcast could be a truly good techincal and economic alternative to satellite?

Uh no. It won't change anything really except increase out costs.

#11 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:46 AM

Every proposed merger is examined on a case by case basis. Some are approved such as Sirius/XM and other such as Dish/Directv were not.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:50 AM

Is Comcast merging with Time Warner a reduction in competition? It creates a bigger company which may be able to negotiate better deals but does it reduce competition?

DISH+DirecTV would be a reduction in competition ... especially in areas without cable and fiber where DISH is the only effective competition for DirecTV (and vice versa).

The biggest issue I see with the Comcast TWC merger is the same one that faces Comcast today - they are a content provider. The FCC will need to continue to monitor NBC Universial to make sure that the deals they make with Comcast's competitors (DirecTV, DISH and fiber companies) are as fair as the deals that they make with Comcast and cable systems that compete with DirecTV and DISH.
  • Laxguy likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:42 AM

Is Comcast merging with Time Warner a reduction in competition? It creates a bigger company which may be able to negotiate better deals but does it reduce competition?

DISH+DirecTV would be a reduction in competition ... especially in areas without cable and fiber where DISH is the only effective competition for DirecTV (and vice versa).

I'm sure there are areas where only Comcast and TWC compete. If those are the only two cable competitors in an area, that eliminates cable competition. It would be hard to argue that that's not a problem because there's satellite, but two satellite companies couldn't combine in order to compete with a company the size of a Comcast+TWC.

Sure, there are places where satellite is the only option. But there are people like me, for whom cable is the only option. Trees prevent satellite, not just for me, but pretty much everyone for blocks in any direction, and my telco doesn't offer TV. There is only one cable company in town. I'm no worse off today than people who can only get satellite would be if Dish and Directv combined.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#14 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:53 AM

From Variety:

Comcast To Buy All Of Time Warner Cable In $44.2 Bil Deal
Deal to unite the nation's two largest cable operators to be unveiled Thursday

In a surprise twist in the hunt for Time Warner Cable, Comcast Corp. is closing in on a deal to buy its closest cable rival in an all-stock deal valued at $44.2 billion, or about $159 a share.

CNBC first reported news of the pact coming together late Wednesday. A source close to the situation confirmed that the sides are expected to announce the surprise deal on Thursday morning. However, execs from both camps were hammering out the final points on the deal even as midnight approached on the East Coast.

Media watchdog orgs were, not surprisingly, quick to condemn the deal as anti-consumer.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:11 AM

"Dear Customer, Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse we are informing you that your Time Warner Cable service has been purchased by Comcast, the nation's leading provider of aggravation. Our new name will be Timeless Comcrap. In the weeks ahead we will be notifying you of your new rates. Have a sparkling day!" :sure:  

• WestDC, espnjason, Dude111 and 1 other like this

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#16 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 951 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

If this is allowed to happen, then I would anticipate (and, perhaps, expect) something similar with DirecTV and Dish Network.

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

Both Marketwatch and AP are stating that "Comcast, Time Warner Cable confirm $45.2 billion deal that would create cable giant", but I do not have a linkable article at this time.

UPDATED! From Marketwatch: Time Warner Cable, Comcast confirm $45 bln deal

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,541 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

And Comcast is the one that lets other customers connect to the Internet using your cable modem. As far as I have heard, you can't turn it off yourself, you have to call them to connect in and do its are you absolved of all responsibility if a media company comes calling with a lawsuit because of a bit torrent share?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:28 AM

I'm sure there are areas where only Comcast and TWC compete. If those are the only two cable competitors in an area, that eliminates cable competition.

There are a lot of ifs that would be needed to make that a problem. It would need to be an area with line of sight problems and two cable companies. Two cable companies is not common. Areas that could have two cable companies are good targets for fiber. I'm not going to say "impossible", but can you tell me how many of TWCs customers can get Comcast?

Sure, there are places where satellite is the only option. But there are people like me, for whom cable is the only option. Trees prevent satellite, not just for me, but pretty much everyone for blocks in any direction, and my telco doesn't offer TV. There is only one cable company in town. I'm no worse off today than people who can only get satellite would be if Dish and Directv combined.

Unless they are redwoods perhaps you just need more creative installers? For your narrow example a DISH-DirecTV merger would do no harm but do no good. The same would apply to the Comcast-TWC merger. You would still have one cable company.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#20 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 593 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:26 AM

Just what we need, the least consumer friendly company in the world getting bigger. This may run into regulatory problems, especially without Arlen Spector to run interference.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Protected By... spam firewall...And...