Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Comcast to purchase Time-Warner Cable

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

How many eye balls does Disney 'own' with all their cable channels and local O&O stations, same goes for CBS/Viacom? Where is the cut off point where cross ownership is too much?

There is a big difference between owning massive amounts of something horizontally vs vertically.  And you now have a company that is now trying to own massive amounts in both directions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

i wish directv would buy verizon fios tv ,then i woul have the option of using either thr genie or tivo roamio pro with all the channels directv and fios would combine!  (i know i'm dreaming)

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,346 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

So does anyone one know if there are any potions up on this matter?

I guess you'd have to ask Samantha, her mother Endora, Sabrina or one of her aunts, or maybe one of the Charmed ones about that.

Probably "petitions" ... but links to petitions and encouragement to sign would not fit well within our forum rules. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,346 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

Say, for example, City X is only served by Comcast and TWC, without FIOS or another mitigating "land carrier." The FCC would take a hard look at that market (and other markets like it) and could potentially force Comcast to divest.

That is how the FCC handles wireless service mergers ... although over the years the amount and type of spectrum companies are allowed to keep has changed.

The extent and definition of overlap per market and/or actual reduction in competition, geographically, will probably be the biggest issue.

I'd like to see a list of where there is overlap. I have not seen one community named that has both - but a lot of people assume that there is overlap somewhere.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#45 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

I'm also concerned that NBC/Universal/Comcast/Time Warner Cable along with the other media conglomerates have way too much control over what we see and hear.  These mergers aren't good for a democracy because it reduces the number of voices that are heard by most people.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#46 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:04 PM

Comcast will definitely wield a lot of power after this merger.

I think the regulators will definitely look at Comcast's entire holdings prior to making a decision. If anything, they may place additional restrictions and/or requirements similar to what happened when Comcast took over NBC in regards to conflicts of interest and ensuring they "play fair" in regards to their programming. At the very least, they could extend the existing measures put in place beyond the timelines initially set forth by the DOJ during the NBC merger. I think it was seven years?

Although how much weight such measures will have will be academic, at least over the long run when those measures expire (they don't usually last long) and/or the other changes occur over time that allow them to make changes outside of those measures even if it against the spirit of the law/measure (i.e., loopholes).

But the dangers of Comcast using exclusive NBC programming as leverage over other carriers will definitely grow. Whether it's by withholding it and trying to get people to switch or charging a ton for it, they really have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Edited by Bambler, 13 February 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#47 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

Interesting. SO it didn't count against your usage, as long as it is completely segregated from your network, not sure if it matters to much..  But if it slows down yours in any way, then thats not acceptable.  They should just put up hot spots on their telephone poles.

However, its odd I must admit.

It's not unheard of for the provided routers to have security vulnerabilities that don't get fixed, so I'm not sure I'd trust it.

On their FAQ, for how to disable it, they just say to call them.

#48 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

I have Brighthouse. I know they are partially run or in some way part of TWC. Does this do anything as far as BH is concerned? Would those areas become Comcast markets or still be BH?

I was wondering the same thing. BH is technically separate from Time Warner, but it certainly is hard to tell since when Time Warner has a dispute, they take BH customers along for the ride.

#49 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,625 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

I'm also concerned that NBC/Universal/Comcast/Time Warner Cable along with the other media conglomerates have way too much control over what we see and hear.  These mergers aren't good for a democracy because it reduces the number of voices that are heard by most people.

That's why I invented the internet! 

:)

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#50 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

If this is allowed to happen, then I would anticipate (and, perhaps, expect) something similar with DirecTV and Dish Network.

As others have pointed out, neither Comcast not TWC directly competes in any market -- the various cable companies have consolodated their holdings so that this is common.  Dish and DirecTV compete directly everywhere.

If I were KIng, I'd allow the merger but require Comcast to divest all content companies.  Make them a common carrier and a lot of the neutrality issues disappear.  At that point they are pretty much parallel to Ma Bell.

Edited by gully_foyle, 14 February 2014 - 01:55 PM.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#51 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,625 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Yes, above all force the divestiture of sports teams! 

#52 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

That's why I invented the internet! 

:)

Al:  I didn't know you were a lax fan!  :)

Even with the Internet most people get most of their information from media conglomerates and most likely will continue to do so.  The conglomerates have lots of power to heard the masses to their products, including websites.  If a non conglomerate owned website starts getting a lot of eyeballs, a conglomerate will soon purchase it.  For example, I have used the Weather Underground website (and previously Gopher site) for decades and I guess it started getting too popular and The Weather Channel (NBC/Universal/Comcast) purchased it.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,625 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

JS-

I totally agree with your first premise. Not a good thing! But at least the internet is there, which for practical purposes, was not even ten years ago for the masses. 

#54 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,817 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Yes, above all force the divestiture of sports teams!

Yes please, either force them to divest some of their RSNs or put a limit on how many major markets where they can have a combo of a cable system, RSN, NBC O&O and a Telemundo O&O.

Just take a look at what happened in Philly, you went from at least one Phillies game a week on WPHL to only 10 a year on the O&O NBC 10. Will the same thing happen in NYC when SNY's contract with WPIX expires?

#55 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,407 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

I hope they don't charge me more for emta rental fees, or a even more rise on HSI tiers on Comcast. But then again all providers do at some point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#56 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

1:45 p.m. CST, February 21, 2014

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Dish Networks Inc Chairman Charlie Ergen said the proposed merger between Comcast Corp and Time Warner Cable Inc will cause a "seismic shift" in the media business and his company is considering how to respond.

Ergen said the transaction would concentrate broadband, video and content in a "nationwide player."

http://www.chicagotr...0,6888262.story

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#57 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:01 PM

Dish Network chairman Charlie Ergen said if the pending Comcast/Time Warner cable merger passes regulatory muster, it could make it easier for a combination of the two largest satellite TV players, Dish and DirecTV.

“If you take the No. 1 and No. 4 [pay TV] providers and put them together, it’s hard to see why you can’t put No.2 and No. 3 together,” Ergen said on a conference call with analysts to discuss fourth quarter results. But the Dish chairman expressed some doubt that the Comcast/TWC deal would receive approval.

http://www.multichan...alatable/148437

#58 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,531 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:04 PM

But, asked one analyst, what about the claim by the merging companies that the deal won’t have much effect on the landscape, as the two don’t compete in many markets (and plan to divest assets in the areas where they do)?

Ergen dismissed that, noting that all distribution companies are negotiating with the same content owners. Anything that gives one player more leverage to wrangle lower carriage fees will result in higher prices for those who lack such leverage, he predicted.

http://www.forbes.co...snt-been-worse/

#59 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,485 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:19 PM

Update: Comcast's merger with Time Warner Cable goes in front of the Senate on March 26th

The final word on Comcast's merger with Time Warner Cable may be in the hands of the FCC and Justice Department, but that's not stopping other governmental bodies from weighing in. On March 26th, the Senate Judiciary Committee plans to examine the deal's effects on the average consumer -- specifically focusing on its impact on market competition and TV and internet pricing. "The merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable touches on important policy questions bout how Americans access these valuable services," Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy wrote in a statement.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#60 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,625 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

Wouldn't it be timely to review the ownership of sports teams and exclusive tie-ins!?! 

• fireponcoal likes this

spam firewall