Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Jewish Life TV moving off SD receivers

JLTV

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

Neither, exactly. The customer will get "upgraded" to an HD dish and R22 or better receiver, but the receiver will be locked to get SD channels only (if you open up the settings, the toggle between will be locked on "show SD channels only").

Now, DirecTV can, without a service call, sell that customer HD. All the rep has to do is unlock the toggle.

They do that for MPEG4 SD locals, I've never heard of them doing that for a single channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,526 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:54 AM

Neither, exactly.  The customer will get "upgraded" to an HD dish and R22 or better receiver, but the receiver will be locked to get SD channels only (if you open up the settings, the toggle between will be locked on "show SD channels only").

Now, DirecTV can, without a service call, sell that customer HD.  All the rep has to do is unlock the toggle.

Not quite buddy, HD service will be REQUIRED in order to get this channel. the fee may be waived if DirecTV chooses to, but HD service is a MUST

https://support.dire...id/4231/kw/jltv

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#23 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:09 PM

They do that for MPEG4 SD locals, I've never heard of them doing that for a single channel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They'll actually do it for all locals DIRECTV carries in a MPEG-4 only market, whether they are in HD or SD.

However, any HD locals carried will be the only HD channels the customer will be allowed to receive without HD service.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#24 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

That would be the cord cutter for me.......... I will not be forced to go to a box I dont like!! (And thier D12 is one I do not like) -- If I hadnt of found this RCA 430,i would have cancelled! (I hardily watch it....They are lucky I found the box I did (I have been a customer since 1997 :)))

#25 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

dude111 - no-one is talking about a D12, which is SD. To get JLTV, you would need an HD receiver and an HD dish.

#26 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:53 AM

Ahhhhhhhh I see my friend,thank you..

#27 OFFLINE   thirteen

thirteen

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

As of this post, JLTV is still on 366.

Dinah Shore and some of those other programs are kinescoped, as others have said.  Kinescopes were films shot directly off TV monitors, and the cameras were tricked out to eliminate the scan lines -- big, thick vertical bars -- you'd normally get when shooting a TV screen with a standard camera.  The kinescopes -- they were usually called "transcriptions" -- were relatively cheap and easy to make.  For instance, ad agencies routinely made kinescopes of the shows they sponsored.  (That's an omportant source of surviving kinescopes.)  Jackie Gleason routinely recorded his variety shows so he and his staff could critique them the next day, which is why almost all of his non-Honeymooners material still exists.

Speaking of which, the Electronicam system used to film The Honeymooners involved a camera that split the incoming image with a prism.  Half the image went to film, and the other half went to a live TV monitor.  Gleason used it on The Honeymooners because he wanted to see exactly what the cameras were seeing as the film rolled.  In those pre-tape days, Electronicam was the only way to do that.

BTW all TV did not look kinescoped, unless you lived in an area that wasn't tied into the coaxial cable that transmitted network programming live around the country.  Stations in those areas depended on transcriptions.  Even in those cases, locally produced live shows looked just fine.  The real problem was reception.  Between static and ghosts, kinescopes were a minor problem.

#28 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

As of this post, JLTV is still on 366. ...

While the mapping to channel 366 is the same, according to the latest TPN maps JLTV has been relocated from 119 to 103ca (or D12's CONUS beam) tp.23.

Thanks for the rest of the historical info. though.  

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#29 OFFLINE   provasek

provasek

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

Here is a snippet of an NBC Dinah Shore 1958 show that was preserved on videotape (alas, they are rare because

videotape could be erased and used over and over)  But -- with a decent TV and proper - usually rooftop  - antenna,  the

quality was quite good.

#30 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, that was the hazard of early TV; videotaped shows that get erased, so the videotape could be used over again. As video tape equipment was so expensive, as were teh tapes. Funny, to say that, as people now use DVDs and they cost less than 50 cents a piece.

So, an example of video tape recycling, is mentioned here:

and:

On 22 Decmber, 1961, WNEW TV ran a live broadcast entitled "Sandy Becker's Christmas Carol". Sandty Becker was a very popular children's programming host in the late 1950s and early 1960s, in New York. At the time, this was considred the very first Christmas sprecial (seems ironic to mention this on a post dedicated to JLTV). The critical reviews were positive and some consider it very creative; qs it was all done with puppets. Sandy Becker did the puppeteering and the voices; on a shoe string budget. In retrospect, it is up there with the 1964 "Rudolph, the Red Nose Reindeer" and the 1963 "Mr. McGoo's Christmas Carol".

Those, like myself, growing up in New York at the time, still remember this broadcast (I was 5 at the time).

A video tape, of this show, was created so it could air again; which it did a year later. But, soon thereafter; it was erased. It was discovered years later when WNEW wanted to celebrate its 40th or 50th anniversary (1968 or 1978); so goes the story.

As for the first video above. No they did not raise enough to reimage the original shows, Though, the pupptes still exist and look like they are in use; the second video.

Here is a snippet of an NBC Dinah Shore 1958 show that was preserved on videotape (alas, they are rare because

videotape could be erased and used over and over)  But -- with a decent TV and proper - usually rooftop  - antenna,  the

quality was quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUTKl_z9474

spam firewall