Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Netflix report suggests Comcast and Verizon FiOS speeds are slipping

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,622 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:39 AM

Netflix report suggests Comcast and Verizon FiOS speeds are slipping

Netflix's latest ISP speed report is out and compared to what we've seen before, there are a few surprises. Comcast and Verizon FiOS have dropped quite a bit in the last four months, while Google Fiber is once again at the top of the heap. Neither Comcast nor Verizon have slumped to DSL speeds, but given Comcast's history with net neutrality and Big Red's stake in Redbox, some might call their decreased data rates into question....

comcast-verizon-fios-netflix-drops.jpg

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

I'm trying to find an article I read last week where a guy proved that Comcast was throttling his Netflix streaming. His solution was to use VPN which evidently blocks Comcast from identifying Netflix as the streaming agent.

#3 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 735 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:12 PM

I'm trying to find an article I read last week where a guy proved that Comcast was throttling his Netflix streaming. His solution was to use VPN which evidently blocks Comcast from identifying Netflix as the streaming agent.

What would comcast gain by blocking netflix?

chris

#4 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • News Hound
  • 2,622 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

Netflix is a competitor.....

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Mindshare and an enormous amount of subscription TV revenues; specifically those coming from premium movie plexes. Comcast appears to be asking $23.95 for one movie plex per month (the price goes down with additional plexes).

Any time customers (or potential customers) find ways around subscribing to Comcast's TV offerings, Comcast loses.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,003 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

Mindshare and an enormous amount of subscription TV revenues; specifically those coming from premium movie plexes. Comcast appears to be asking $23.95 for one movie plex per month (the price goes down with additional plexes).

Any time customers (or potential customers) find ways around subscribing to Comcast's TV offerings, Comcast loses.

if net neutrality goes away, ISPs such as Comcast could ask us (customers) or DirecTV for more money to stream DirecTV content

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:35 AM

Also, if Comcast knows people are using streaming more, they can then up the price for 'full bandwidth' or other nonsense. They already cap most accounts at 25 gb per month.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

They already cap most accounts at 25 gb per month.

Comcast clearly states that they are NOT capping and when they were contemplating it, the cap was 250GB.

They are obviously throttling, but that should not be confused with capping.

https://customer.com...you-suspend-it/

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   kevin d

kevin d

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Certain states/markets are being capped. I've gotten a call for the past two months stating I was close to hitting the cap. 

Kevin D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...