Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Apple TV on hold pending a deal with Time Warner Cable

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,471 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

New Apple TV on hold pending a deal with Time Warner Cable

Apple is currently in talks with Time Warner Cable, among other programming partners, to add video content to the set-top box before releasing the next version.

Wherever Time Warner Cable may have been headed in talks with Apple, word of a pending acquisition by fellow cabler Comcast certainly seems to complicate things. Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal chimes in with its own set of anonymous sources, talking about how Apple has refocused its TV efforts to work with TV providers, rather than trying to replace them....

apple-tv-new-logo.jpg
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 364 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:27 PM

Makes you wonder with Comcast's snazzy new X1 and their own push for over the top type services, that they will shun Apple completely.

Comcast is really making a push to be a part of every conceivable realm of broadcast entertainment, be it traditional cable, internet and now over the top. Hedging bets? Kind of smart I guess. If they are able to hook you on one of their elements, the chances of up selling all of their products (bundled) goes up.

Surprising how innovative and aggressive they've become. Even their customer service is better than what it used to be, although I can't speak for the quality of their service beyond my immediate area, although I have no complaints here.

#3 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'd hardly call Apple TV a set-top box. It's about the size of a hockey puck. It has a tiny remote but works much better with an Apple mobile app on my iPod Touch than the included remote. The current Apple TV already supports a lot of video.

I can also play Amazon Instant Videos using either my iPod Touch or Kindle Fire through the Apple TV to my Sony HD.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

I'd hardly call Apple TV a set-top box. It's about the size of a hockey puck. It has a tiny remote but works much better with an Apple mobile app on my iPod Touch than the included remote. The current Apple TV already supports a lot of video.

Yes, that works nicely over WiFi. Is that how ATV gets commands from the remote? Or is it IR, RF or ??

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

Remote is ir. It works great for me don't know why anyone would have issues unless it's it issues.

#6 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 364 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

Kind of reiterates my thoughts: Comcast wants to dominate everything and doesn't want Apple, Google or anyone else for that matter meddling. Whether they are successful remains to be seen, especially if AppleTV or Chromecast continue to gain in popularity.

The lynchpin for both, in my opinion, is to copy Netflix. Apple already has one of the biggest multimedia stores in the world with iTunes, but everything there has to be purchased discretely and linearly. If Apple opened up that store to a subscription base model, watch out in my opinion. It may gain so much steam that these companies wouldn't have a choice whether to play ball or not.

http://bgr.com/2014/...ner-cable-deal/

One of the more overlooked aspects of the proposed Comcast-Time Warner cable merger announced last week was how it would impact Apple’s plans for Apple TV. After all, Bloomberg reported right before the merger was announced that Apple was planning to unveil a major refresh to Apple TV in April and that it was working on a deal with Time Warner Cable to deliver content over its next-generation set-top box. However, now that Time Warner Cable is in the midst of getting bought up by Comcast, where does that leave things for Apple?

Business Insider flags a recent research note written by UBS analyst Steven Milunovich, who thinks that Comcast could decide to squash whatever deal Apple and Time Warner Cable were working on because it would rather release its own set-top box that would directly compete with Apple TV.

“Today’s X1 [Comcast set-top box] features include voice-based navigation and search, personalized recommendations, a collection of customizable widgets, and access to third-party apps such as Facebook, Twitter, and Pandora,” Milunovich writes. ”Internally referred to as X2, Comcast is in the midst of migrating its X1 users to a next-gen cloud-based device. This upgrade provides cloud-based DVR, mobile device synchronization, and app airplay capabilities.”

From the sound of things, Comcast is not at all keen about the idea of Apple, Google and other tech companies disrupting its own very lucrative pay TV business and it will push out its own product in an effort to beat them at their own game. This means that whatever plans Apple has for the TV market may now face a major barrier in the form of America’s biggest cable company.

Edited by Bambler, 18 February 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,468 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

Remote is ir. It works great for me don't know why anyone would have issues unless it's it issues.

I like using the iPhone as a remote, just because if you need to type something, you can use the phone's virtual keyboard.  beats clicking around to type anything!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

spam firewall