Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Start/Stop Times and Overlapping Recordings - HR44

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   superJess

superJess

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

I just switched to DirecTV and had an HR44 installed this morning.  I'm working on setting up recordings and I was wondering if I set it up to start recordings early and end them late, will it ignore that setting if there are back-to-back shows?  If so, how much time will it ignore?  For example, do I have to choose 1 min start early/1 min stop late to get it to ignore it or 2 min or 3 min?  

I've tried to search for this as I'm sure this info exists somewhere, but I'm not having much luck.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:59 PM

It will record them for every minute they are set for. The only way it wouldn't, is if there were a tuner conflict. And if you have a Genie you have 5 tuners. So a conflict isn't that likely.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

1.  will it ignore that setting if there are back-to-back shows?  

2.  If so, how much time will it ignore? 

No, if the y are back to back shows and they overlap, the DVR will another tuner if available, if not available the show will get cancelled and the DVR will try to record another showing if available 

2. None.  however when ever possible the DVR record 30 seconds before and after

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   superJess

superJess

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:06 PM

It will record them for every minute they are set for. The only way it wouldn't, is if there were a tuner conflict. And if you have a Genie you have 5 tuners. So a conflict isn't that likely.

That's what I'm worried about - if I need all 5 tuners at once, will it ignore the overlap?  My Dish receiver did this - it only recorded the 1 min early / 2 min late if there were no tuner conflicts.  If there were tuner conflicts it cut that extra time off rather than not recording the other show.  

I know using up 5 at once is unlikely, but I hate to set them all up with the padding and then later have to worry about changing them to "On Time" because I start getting conflicts.

#5 OFFLINE   superJess

superJess

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

No, if the y are back to back shows and they overlap, the DVR will another tuner if available, if not available the show will get cancelled and the DVR will try to record another showing if available 

Hmm.  Okay, good to know.  Best to set them all up On Time then.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

Hmm.  Okay, good to know.  Best to set them all up On Time then.

that is your best bet.  unless you know of a specific show that goes over time.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 ONLINE   coconut13

coconut13

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

I have an HR24 and when I used to record back-to-back shows (Revenge and Betrayal) for instance it would have the 30 second overlap like peds48 mentioned. It would only use 1 tuner, also. I had the shows to record on-time. The Revenge recording would run into the start of the Betrayal show and the Betrayal recording would start before the end of the Revenge show.

#8 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,906 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:22 PM

that is your best bet.  unless you know of a specific show that goes over time.

Or when you record CBS on Sunday evenings during NFL season, add 1 hour to every show.

That really hurts us on EST and CST.  Even 1/2 hour isn't enough.

Not sure how MST and PST handle the CBS football running late issue.

#9 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

Or when you record CBS on Sunday evenings during NFL season, add 1 hour to every show.

i don't think football runs late on the west coast...the "late" games are over at 4pm.

#10 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,738 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

Has this changed? I always thought it was 30 seconds early and 90 seconds later?

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:03 PM

i don't think football runs late on the west coast...the "late" games are over at 4pm.

Correct

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Right, I am on the East Coast and I record "60 minutes".  I always add 2 hours

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,696 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Has this changed? I always thought it was 30 seconds early and 90 seconds later?

IIRC, is 30 seconds 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

I just switched to DirecTV and had an HR44 installed this morning.  I'm working on setting up recordings and I was wondering if I set it up to start recordings early and end them late, will it ignore that setting if there are back-to-back shows?  If so, how much time will it ignore?  For example, do I have to choose 1 min start early/1 min stop late to get it to ignore it or 2 min or 3 min?  

I've tried to search for this as I'm sure this info exists somewhere, but I'm not having much luck.

I have all my recordings end two minutes later than the end of the program. If back-to-back programs are on the same channel, both programs record perfectly, even if both tuners are tied up. If both programs are on different channels and both tuners are tied up, one of the programs gets short-changed. This is on an HR-23, but I would assume your HR44 would  do the same.

#15 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

I have a DISH 722, and 2 DirecTV HR-2Xs on my main TV (6 sat tuners, not counting the AM21s and DISH OTA) and can't say I've ever had a problem and I have almost all recordings padded.

I'd be optimistic the TS will be fine.

#16 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,464 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 07:15 PM

IIRC, is 30 seconds

As TheRatPatrol said, it's 30 seconds at the beginning, 90 seconds at the end.

Source: I record "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" every night, and sometimes forget when "TDS" ends to switch to my "TCR" recording.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#17 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

As the others have said if you just set up your recordings to start and stop on time, the DVR will acutally start the recording 30 seconds before the show, and end 90 seconds after the show, as long as the tuners are free.  If the tuners need to be used before or after the show then it will just start or stop the recording on time and you won't get the extra time, but it will record the other shows.

The exception to this is if you have two shows set to record back to back on the same channel.  If that happens the DVR is smart enought to realize it and it will record both of them using the same tuner, so both will get the extra recording time.

If you actually set your recordings to start early or end late manually, then it will always do so, and it will cancel other recordings as needed according to their priority in order to get those extra minutes.

So for most people it makes more sense to not tell it to record extra time, unless you know for sure that a certain show goes over pretty much every time.  Otherwise you are better off just relying on the built in padding so you are less likely to miss other recordings.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...