Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Two Clients in the Same Room

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:51 AM

I have searched  for this answer but I obviously aren't smart enough to come up with the proper search criteria.  I currently have an HR34, two HR24's and an HR 20.  The HR34 and one of the HR24's are located in the same room and I control them both with the same IR universal remote control using different DVR Receiver codes (1,3).

Now for the question, I have a need to add another two clients or two additional DVR's in a different room (a large game room).  Both units will be located in the same room.  I would prefer to go the client route.  Do I have the same ability with clients that I do with DVR's in regard to assigning a code to each client so they can be controlled by the same IR remote?  I realize I could use RF but for several reasons I won't go into, it is important to me they be able to use a universal IR remote.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,861 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

I don't think neither of the Genies or clients have this function.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,692 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

I have searched  for this answer but I obviously aren't smart enough to come up with the proper search criteria.  I currently have an HR34, two HR24's and an HR 20.  The HR34 and one of the HR24's are located in the same room and I control them both with the same IR universal remote control using different DVR Receiver codes (1,3).

Now for the question, I have a need to add another two clients or two additional DVR's in a different room (a large game room).  Both units will be located in the same room.  I would prefer to go the client route.  Do I have the same ability with clients that I do with DVR's in regard to assigning a code to each client so they can be controlled by the same IR remote?  I realize I could use RF but for several reasons I won't go into, it is important to me they be able to use a universal IR remote.

Why not add 2 H24s or H25s ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

Why not add 2 H24s or H25s ?

Certainly a possibility.  Do they have the ability to have different IR receiver codes?  And do they have Multi-Room capability, IOW can they access the recordings on the HR34/Hr44?

Edited by am3211, 16 February 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,300 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:22 AM

Yes. Personally, if one of them was a -100 model, I would keep that on the default code and set the non -100 to the alternate code. Usually won't make a difference, but would for some diagnostics, etc. Though that was on an older hr model, it may have changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,861 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

And do they have Multi-Room capability, IOW can they access the recordings on the HR34/Hr44?

Absolutely.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,803 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

I have searched for this answer but I obviously aren't smart enough to come up with the proper search criteria. I currently have an HR34, two HR24's and an HR 20. The HR34 and one of the HR24's are located in the same room and I control them both with the same IR universal remote control using different DVR Receiver codes (1,3).

Now for the question, I have a need to add another two clients or two additional DVR's in a different room (a large game room). Both units will be located in the same room. I would prefer to go the client route. Do I have the same ability with clients that I do with DVR's in regard to assigning a code to each client so they can be controlled by the same IR remote? I realize I could use RF but for several reasons I won't go into, it is important to me they be able to use a universal IR remote.

I believe they will. I'll check latter if I can recall and let you know.

If not an h25 will and is close on size to a client.

Do you have a swim16 installed now?

#8 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

I believe they will. I'll check latter if I can recall and let you know.

If not an h25 will and is close on size to a client.

Do you have a swim16 installed now?

Not exactly but I do have two SWM8's cascaded.

Edited by am3211, 16 February 2014 - 07:10 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,144 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

Not exactly but I do have two SWM8's cascaded.

Much better to parallel them than to cascade.

• RunnerFL likes this

#10 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:10 AM

Why????

#11 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,861 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

To begin SWM8 can't be cascaded and expect HD on the second SWM8.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

To begin SWM8 can't be cascaded and expect HD on the second SWM8.

You can't come out of what I will call the "legacy ports" and into the second SWM8?  I think that is what I am doing and I get HD on all four DVR's.

#13 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

If you are doing it that way and it "WORKS" is okay with me - BUT That makes it a NON-Supported D* install - SO It should be changed out to SWM-16 Should you ever need to Trouble shoot it. (or leave it) as You say it's working now- But adding more tuners is your issue going forward.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,995 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:15 AM

Most definitely.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,995 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Why????

Because a SWM8 doesn't have ports to cascade with.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,995 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

You can't come out of what I will call the "legacy ports" and into the second SWM8?  I think that is what I am doing and I get HD on all four DVR's.

That can't be what you're doing.  The SWM8 only has 3 legacy ports and you need 4 ports to feed the second SWM8.  

Get yourself an SWME1 splitter and use the outputs from that to feed your SWM8's.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:00 PM

That can't be what you're doing.  The SWM8 only has 3 legacy ports and you need 4 ports to feed the second SWM8.  

Get yourself an SWME1 splitter and use the outputs from that to feed your SWM8's.

This is way off topic from my original question but I want to clarify my setup.

I have four coax lines running into the Satellite Inputs for what I will call SWM1.  There are four Coax lines running out from Legcy 1, 2,3,4 ports into the Satellite inputs for what I will call SWM2.  I also run a OTA coax into the SWM 2 and diplex it out into HR20 and an AM21 for the HR24. 

One SWM 8 drives a HR34 and a HR 24, the other SWM 8 drives a HR20 and HR24. I utilize the unsupported Ethernet version of MRV.

I realize that this approach is unorthodox but I did it to get my OTA signal to each DVR without running additional OTA cables.  I also realize this whole setup is unsupported but since I installed it myself I feel comfortable in providing my own support.  It all works very well for me.

#18 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,995 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

I have four coax lines running into the Satellite Inputs for what I will call SWM1.  There are four Coax lines running out from Legcy 1, 2,3,4 ports into the Satellite inputs for what I will call SWM2.  I also run a OTA coax into the SWM 2 and diplex it out into HR20 and an AM21 for the HR24. 

One SWM 8 drives a HR34 and a HR 24, the other SWM 8 drives a HR20 and HR24. I utilize the unsupported Ethernet version of MRV.

I realize that this approach is unorthodox but I did it to get my OTA signal to each DVR without running additional OTA cables.  I also realize this whole setup is unsupported but since I installed it myself I feel comfortable in providing my own support.  It all works very well for me.

There is no "legacy 4" port on a SWM8.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,803 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

I have four coax lines running into the Satellite Inputs for what I will call SWM1. There are four Coax lines running out from Legcy 1, 2,3,4 ports into the Satellite inputs for what I will call SWM2. I also run a OTA coax into the SWM 2 and diplex it out into HR20 and an AM21 for the HR24.

I realize that this approach is unorthodox but I did it to get my OTA signal to each DVR without running additional OTA cables. I also realize this whole setup is unsupported but since I installed it myself I feel comfortable in providing my own support. It all works very well for me.

That's all fine but can you show us a picture of your switches? It just isn't possible to properly cascade two swim8 you will have issues if you don't have all four inputs used on a swim8.

Injecting over the air instead of deca can be done with any kind of setup even if it's not supported but there's a difference between not supported an not hooked up properly to work long term. And we are annoying at trying to minimize possible issues. :lol:

And you can run more than one client in a room. ;)

#20 OFFLINE   am3211

am3211

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

There is no "legacy 4" port on a SWM8.

You're absolutely right, I stand corrected.  I have a SWM 16 with it's four legacy ports feeding my SWM8.  I apologize for my ignorance on what I thought I had.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...