Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Intelsat 805

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lokam@yahoo.com

lokam@yahoo.com

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 12:57 PM

Hi
I would like to know ,
what equipment required to get the free channels on intelsat 805.Whare can I buy
Where can I find more information about free channels on intelsat 805
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 01:35 PM

From looking at the LyngSat listings for Intelsat 805, there are very few free-to-air TV channels on it. I only see one actually -- the rest is free radio.

So, unless you just want Telefe Internacional for free, I don't think IntelSat 805 is a good choice for free TV, sorry.

Then again, I could be wrong -- I'm just going by my reading of the LyngSat listings. I actually haven't ever pointed anything at Intelsat 805, of course.

- John...

#3 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 05:52 PM

NBA, NASCAR and other digital feeds in the extended C band below 3700 mhz. You need a BUD(Big Ugly Dish) and combo analog/digital receiver with postioner control.

You also need to be able to see farther east(55.5w) than EchoStar 3(61.5w).

#4 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 06:16 PM

Bucks at Pistons there now on 3677 H Mpeg2 4:2:0

#5 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:42 PM

Odd. LyngSat doesn't show anything at 3677, right?

You need to report some transponders to LyngSat, JohnH! :D

- John...

#6 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:13 AM

Oh, but it does show something on 3676 H which is close enough for any receiver/LNB combo I can afford. :D

#7 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:37 AM

Oh, but it does show something on 3676 H which is close enough for any receiver/LNB combo I can afford. :D

Ah -- yes -- that makes sense. I had been ignoring the "feeds" that were on there -- I forgot that those would be visible FTA in many cases.

On a side note, I noticed that LyngSat lists quite a few channels on IntelSat 805 that are "digital, clear" (according to the color/legend) that do not seem to be encrypted -- but that they didn't put the little "F" logo for FTA by them. "Gemini TV", for example, just to pick one at random. Are these FTA stations? Any idea why LyngSat just lists them as "digital, clear" but without the FTA mark? Just curious. Thanks.

- John...

#8 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 07:48 AM

The Free TV category is a recent addition to Lyngsat. Many of the channels apparently have not been updated with the link to the category. The color is still the indication as it always has been.

#9 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:27 AM

Hmmm... Ok -- so they are standard FTA channels too as long as they are colored for "digital, clear", right? Good to know!

And, I guess it must be "relatively recent." I mean, the FTA TV stuff has been at LyngSat for at least a year now... I remember looking at it before I bought my DVB-S stuff to see what I'd be able to pick up... And that was quite a while ago.

But, still, guess it just needs to be updated. Thanks!

- John...

#10 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 08:46 AM

Digital clear could also be Digicipher. So it needs to have the DVB designation to be Mpeg2/DVB FTA. Some of those may be 4:2:2 or HD, as well. :)

#11 OFFLINE   lokam@yahoo.com

lokam@yahoo.com

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:09 AM

From looking at the LyngSat listings for Intelsat 805, there are very few free-to-air TV channels on it. I only see one actually -- the rest is free radio.

So, unless you just want Telefe Internacional for free, I don't think IntelSat 805 is a good choice for free TV, sorry.

Then again, I could be wrong -- I'm just going by my reading of the LyngSat listings. I actually haven't ever pointed anything at Intelsat 805, of course.

- John...

There some international channels I am looking for. could you please tell me what kind of dish required, where can I find. Thanks

#12 OFFLINE   jgoggan

jgoggan

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 09:17 AM

Are you looking to watch these on your TV or your PC? I only have experience with DVB-S PC cards... I don't really know much about any set-top boxes to recommend for DVB-S, sorry. Maybe JohnH or someone else would be better to answer if that is what you are looking for...

- John...

#13 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 11:21 AM

Try smallear.com and ebay. I bought a used digital reciever for $50 on ebay. It's a used commercial receiver, so it doesn't do autoscan and all that fancy stuff, but it has a small memory to input the channels and it pulls in everything just fine. There's a full suite of locals from Alaska, lots of UPN and WB and some nice canadian feeds as well as a bunch of foreign programming.

If the programming is in the "ku" band, then you can get a smaller dish, but if it's c-band in digital, then you need a big 6 to 10 foot dish depending on where you're located. I've got a 7.5 ft dish in Oregon and haven't had any trouble pulling in all the sats on the arc. Digital is a little harder to tune in than analog, so you need to move your big dish to the sat location, then use the fine tuning on the dish mover to get it in just the right spot to peak the digital feeds.

There are little package deals on ebay that will get you a small ku dish and a receiver for about $200 or so dollars, maybe less if you're patient and check ebay every couple days. That will allow you to point at one sat. and get the ku feeds off of it.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

Protected By... spam firewall...And...