Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish cuts WWE PPVs?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
85 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,788 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

I have a feeling wwe wants a guaranteed flat rate for their ppv and since it's likely higher than what anyone thinks they can get on income because if the streaming channel then why bother.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

here a statement from WWE:

WWE is pleased that the majority of our cable and satellite Pay-Per-View distributors are giving our fans an option to purchase traditional Pay-Per-Views as we prepare to launch WWE Network on Monday, February 24. Unfortunately, DISH will not be doing so. We hope DISH will reconsider for this Sunday’s Elimination Chamber Pay-Per-View event and especially for WrestleMania 30.

By the way Elimination Chamber doesn't go up on the Network in till a Month after the PPV air's

Edited by dish556, 19 February 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#23 OFFLINE   leprechaun106317

leprechaun106317

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Here's a quote from Dish themselves:

"DISH will not offer the 'WWE Elimination Chamber' PPV on 2/23. WWE is not willing to adjust their PPV costs to satellite and cable companies, which is unfair to their customers. We need to re-focus our efforts to support partners that better serve DISH customers. Other satellite and cable companies, including DIRECTV, have also expressed they may no longer provide WWE PPV events in the future."

So are they trying to spin it and say WWE isn't willing to drop the price of the PPVs on regular providers so they are dropping them? That sounds really stupid.

#24 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:19 AM

now its official, can a mod please rename this thread to "Dish cuts WWE PPVs- Confirmed by both WWE and Dish".

Edited by Willh, 20 February 2014 - 12:20 AM.

Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,356 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

A link to the statement from DISH would be nice. Otherwise it is just another someone says someone says statement.
A news site or press release, not rumor blog or discussion forum?

It may be true but it isn't 'official' unless there is a valid link.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#26 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,788 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:35 AM

Basically wwe wants the same ppv structure it sounds like that they have had even though now they will offer the same thing for far cheaper via online streaming.

When hbo was prepare ing hbo go they discussed with all their providers about selling it separate and instead decided to go the authentication route. They listened to their current partners and things have gone well for them and all the others that have followed suit. Wwe doesn't want to do that. They are trying to basically strong arm from a weak position is what it sounds like and failing miserably.

#27 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:58 AM

here's the link from Variety:
http://variety.com/2...nch-1201113177/

Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#28 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

A link to the statement from DISH would be nice. Otherwise it is just another someone says someone says statement.
A news site or press release, not rumor blog or discussion forum?

It may be true but it isn't 'official' unless there is a valid link.

From Dish's Facebook - https://www.facebook..._t=feed_comment

From Zap2it - http://blog.zap2it.c...on-chamber.html

It's official. There's many sites confirming it.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#29 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

DISH We need to re-focus our efforts to support partners that better serve DISH customers. Other satellite and cable companies, including DIRECTV, have also expressed they may no longer provide WWE PPV events in the future. -Matt G.

well other companying aren't Dish why did you cut ties with WWE. I Bought Royal Rumble last month and Bought TLC too.

WWE corporate

Pay-per-view net revenues were $83.6 million, $78.3 million and $70.2 million, representing 17%, 16% and 15%

of total net revenues in 2012, 2011 and 2010, respectively

like I said before not everyone has a  computer think of those people stop being selfish. also nobody is asking Dish to lower the WWE PPV prices just because it on the WWE site for a lower price doesn't mean that people won't want to own the PPV on TV. your pushing UFC hard and they are undercutting Dish with UFC fight pass for 9.99.

What do I get for my monthly subscription

the opening contests of all UFC Pay-Per-View events and televised cards. so why isn't all the company going after UFC?

WWEVerified account ‏@WWE

We’re hopeful @DISH will re-consider carrying Elimination Chamber and other PPV events in the future, especially @WrestleMania XXX. (3/3)

Edited by dish556, 20 February 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

DISH We need to re-focus our efforts to support partners that better serve DISH customers. Other satellite and cable companies, including DIRECTV, have also expressed they may no longer provide WWE PPV events in the future. -Matt G.

well other companying aren't Dish why did you cut ties with WWE. I Bought Royal Rumble last month and Bought TLC too.

WWE corporate

Pay-per-view net revenues were $83.6 million, $78.3 million and $70.2 million, representing 17%, 16% and 15%

of total net revenues in 2012, 2011 and 2010, respectively

like I said before not everyone has a  computer think of those people stop being selfish. also nobody is asking Dish to lower the WWE PPV prices just because it on the WWE site for a lower price doesn't mean that people won't want to own the PPV on TV. your pushing UFC hard and they are undercutting Dish with UFC fight pass for 9.99.

What do I get for my monthly subscription

the opening contests of all UFC Pay-Per-View events and televised cards. so why isn't all the company going after UFC?

WWEVerified account ‏@WWE

We’re hopeful @DISH will re-consider carrying Elimination Chamber and other PPV events in the future, especially @WrestleMania XXX. (3/3)

The opening bouts are not the PPV bouts.  That is a big difference.  Having fight pass does not get you the UFC PPV's.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#31 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

The opening bouts are not the PPV bouts.  That is a big difference.  Having fight pass does not get you the UFC PPV's.

I don't buy that at all!

thanks for you Info anyways.

#32 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,845 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:32 AM

I don't buy that at all!

It's the truth... what's not to buy?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#33 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,084 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

Capt._Obvious.jpg

Yes I know. I used love Wrestling as a kid, but now I don't. Go figure!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#34 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

It's the truth... what's not to buy?

just because say it doesn't mean that UFC isn't having PPV on there Fight pass I'm not getting into with you people here your not bring back the PPV so what does it matter!

#35 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,322 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

I don't buy that at all!

Here is a link to the FAQ for UFC Fight Pass.  I see no where anywhere that it lists the PPVs are available.  One huge difference is the UFC makes alot of money off of their PPV's.  The main appeal of it is that they offer some events that are on free TV and prelim fights as well as the shows like the Ultimate Fighter.  Trust me, the UFC is not gonna undercut their own PPV sales to run a subscription for $9.99.  Its not going to happen.  I dont even think its good business for the WWE to do it.

http://www.ufc.com/fightpass-faq

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#36 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,820 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Live PPV Events are NOT included with UFC Fight Pass, you just get the preliminaries that also air on Fox Sports 1. The actual PPVs are on a seperate service called UFC.TV and you need to purchase them seperately at a cost that's at or near what the cable and satellite providers charge for the event. For example this weekend's UFC 170 is available for $54.99:
http://www.ufc.tv/vi...ousey-vs-mcmann

WWE has been doing the same thing with PPVs for the past few years, however up until the WWE Network launched, the PPVs were the same price as they are on cable and satellite. For example right now Elimination Chamber is $44.99 online:
http://ppv.wwe.com/

#37 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:37 AM

Here's a quote from Dish themselves:

"DISH will not offer the 'WWE Elimination Chamber' PPV on 2/23. WWE is not willing to adjust their PPV costs to satellite and cable companies, which is unfair to their customers. We need to re-focus our efforts to support partners that better serve DISH customers. Other satellite and cable companies, including DIRECTV, have also expressed they may no longer provide WWE PPV events in the future."[/size]

So are they trying to spin it and say WWE isn't willing to drop the price of the PPVs on regular providers so they are dropping them? That sounds really stupid.[/size]

It's pretty simple what DISH is doing. WWE deems a price that DISH and everyone else has to charge on the tv side. Say, $50, for which WWE will get a share of that. Then they go out and sell the same product for only $10, but force DISH to still sell it at $50. So they undercut their own partner. I'm sure DISH is saying WAIT A MINUTE, we want that same $10 price point you are giving to customers direct. Furthermore, by not allowing us to carry it, you are forcing us to tie up valuable bandwidth, resources, etc for a business that will surely decline because you are undercutting your own distributors by selling it at a cheaper price.

That would be my guess.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#38 OFFLINE   dish556

dish556

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

It's pretty simple what DISH is doing. WWE deems a price that DISH and everyone else has to charge on the tv side. Say, $50, for which WWE will get a share of that. Then they go out and sell the same product for only $10, but force DISH to still sell it at $50. So they undercut their own partner. I'm sure DISH is saying WAIT A MINUTE, we want that same $10 price point you are giving to customers direct. Furthermore, by not allowing us to carry it, you are forcing us to tie up valuable bandwidth, resources, etc for a business that will surely decline because you are undercutting your own distributors by selling it at a cheaper price.

That would be my guess.

When you think about it them taking there PPV's to the Network and charging less for them doesn't matter the people that really want it's on PPV over the air will pay the higher cost why to own it that why. dish isn't going to win this fight why don't they just offer the PPV already and keep them at the same price I know the people don't mind paying the price. 

#39 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:19 PM

Last time I checked there still was Extra Innings on D*.  The effect of MLB.COM seems to have no ill affect on the satellite delivered version of the content.  So what's with WWE (not that I care)?  Other than each event on PPV costs a fixed amount, versus buying a "season pass".  Maybe satellite needs to rethink how they market WWE.

• dish556 likes this
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#40 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,356 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

MLB is a little more popular than WWE ... plus the feeds are already there for delivery as RSNs to in market customers - the cost of opening up those feeds on mirrored channels is worth the money they make off of the season long subscription to MLB Extra Innings. (Extra Innings was $139.96 last year - MLB.TV is $109.99 or $129.99 for the premium level. Not much of a savings for going online.)

WWE is a special uplink - not just slapping another number on an existing channel. The discount is greater for going online. It may not have been worth DISH carrying in the past, depending on how much DISH cleared on each sale. Every customer who is encouraged to find another way by the offer of a lower price cuts into DISH's profits - perhaps to the point where it is not worth spending the money to rebroadcast the feed.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

spam firewall