Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help with GenieGo OOH and Cablevision OOL

Best Answer LI-SVT , 18 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

Solution:

I had to forwrd the GG ports in the Oom device to the IP address of the router.  The Ooma device was simple to configure for this.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi all,

I am having trouble getting the GenieGo OOH to work with Cablevisons OOL.  My chain of equipment is as follows:

Motorola Modem>Ooma Teleo>Airport Extreme>Netgear switch>GenieGo

My Directv equipment is installed by the book.  I have an HR44 and two HR21s.

In home streaming and downloading work fine.

No mater what I do with the Airport Extreme portforwarding I can not get OOH to work.

Do I need to set anything in the Motorola modem?

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,396 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:43 AM

You may have to set up forwarding or put the modem  in 'Bridge' or transparent mode.  Ooma may also complicate the issue and need something similar.  Every device in the chain (except a switch) needs to handle the forwarding properly of the packets don't make it.

Some people have had better luck putting the GenieGo on the router rather than behind the switch.

You may have to switch positions of the Ooma and also forward the Voip packets to its IP.

Edit:  I'd remove Ooma first to see if that's blocking GG.  Google 'Can I port forward with Ooma'.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

Thanks Dennis,

My plan for tonight is to move the GG and connect it directly to the router.  Also remove the Ooma temporarily.

Will let  you know how it goes.

One Genie

Two HR21P

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

Yeah;

Reading through many of the discussion threads on the OOMA forum, I notice most do not prefer the inline ethernet connection option for the Telo unit between a cable modem and router in favor of a connection to the router.

I plan on buying an OOMA Telo myself sometime next month and intend to hook it to the router, but through powerline adapters I have lying around here which should suffice as I'm told the Telo is a low bandwidth device.

Cut the cord last month with traditional wireline phone service after having it for as long as I can remember for cell phones, but do miss the superior call sound quality of my traditional wireline telephone service. Hoping the OOMA Telo with its advertised "HD" voice call quality service feature will be a good replacement in this area.   

Edited by HoTat2, 18 February 2014 - 11:35 AM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#5 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Funny thing about the Teleo, I could'nt get it to work right when I had it behind my router.  When I changed it to their preffered connection style, between the modem and router, it worked fine.

As far as voice quality, it is good.  Not as good as the Voip from my cable company though.  Can't beat the price!

One Genie

Two HR21P

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:20 PM

Funny thing about the Teleo, I could'nt get it to work right when I had it behind my router.  When I changed it to their preffered connection style, between the modem and router, it worked fine.

As far as voice quality, it is good.  Not as good as the Voip from my cable company though.  Can't beat the price!

Yea ... I considered that before cutting the cord as my sister has VoIP digital phone service with our ISP, TWC Hi Speed (which will soon be Comcast I guess).

It's outstanding call quality, and I can't tell the difference between it and wireline. But it's $29.99 + tax and other regulatory fees per month, making it almost the same cost as my former wireline (AT&T) again which fluctuated between $40-$50/per. 

Edited by HoTat2, 18 February 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

Off topic.  what is the difference between the Ooma and a Magic Jack (beside the price, of course!)

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Yeah, there was a thread not too long ago here with an ooma device and the OP mentioned that forwarding the GG port was the solution

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,572 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

Off topic.  what is the difference between the Ooma and a Magic Jack (beside the price, of course!)

magicJack fetches a low monthly fee and you pay for Ooma on the front end. If you aren't sure whether you're ready/equipped for VOIP, the magicJack setup is a much smaller initial investment ($49.95 includes six months of their brand of service).

Ignoring the differences in service, magicJack is about the same price as Ooma if you can keep your Ooma Telo going for 10-11 years. If you subscribe to the Ooma extended warranty at $40/year, you'll probably never catch up money-wise.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Yeah, there was a thread not too long ago here with an ooma device and the OP mentioned that forwarding the GG port was the solution

So since it is a VoIP device, there is a firewall built into the OOMA you can access through a web utility where you can forward ports on for the inline ethernet hookup option? 

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,572 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

So since it is a VoIP device, there is a firewall built into the OOMA you can access through a web utility where you can forward ports on for the inline ethernet hookup option?

Don't confuse firewalls with routing. Firewalls are a very special case of routing (much as a circle is a very special case of a regular polygon).

If I'm not mistaken, the Ooma Telo automatically forwards any ports that it doesn't use for its own purposes to your router. From there, you have to forward them again to the nomad.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:56 PM   Best Answer

Solution:

I had to forwrd the GG ports in the Oom device to the IP address of the router.  The Ooma device was simple to configure for this.

One Genie

Two HR21P

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

Awesome.  Thanks for the update.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

Solution:

IOW, the Geniego's port numbers for OOH streaming must forwarded in the OOMA's firewall to the IP address assigned to the router which is the WAN one?  

Edited by HoTat2, 18 February 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Don't confuse firewalls with routing. Firewalls are a very special case of routing (much as a circle is a very special case of a regular polygon).

If I'm not mistaken, the Ooma Telo automatically forwards any ports that it doesn't use for its own purposes to your router. From there, you have to forward them again to the nomad.

Yes, I think I understand the basic differences between routing and a firewall;

Firewalls don't do things like NAT or PAT and act as gateways to different networks, which really fall in the realm of routing. But essentially only allow two-way data communications to traverse them when initiated from hosts located inside the firewall. Not outside of it unless specific ports have been opened in it to an outside host (remote computer or application) for that purpose.   

Edited by HoTat2, 18 February 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

IOW, the Geniego's port numbers for OOH streaming must forwarded in the OOMA's firewall to the IP address assigned to the router which is the WAN one?

Yes. It turns out the Teleo has routing capability. So I limited the DHCP range to one address. That one address is my router. I then forwarded the GG ports in the Teleo to the IP of my router. I could not find IP reservations in the Teleo, that is why I set a limited range.

Sorry so long in getting back to you.
Thanks everyone for helping me.

One Genie

Two HR21P

spam firewall