Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

USB charging cable

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

well, send it to me :) I'll answer what is that and why

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,017 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

So how's the Sprint reception and network performance out in your neck of the woods? 3G only so far? Seeing any 800MHz voice yet?

(SignalCheck Pro is a great tool)

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#23 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Reception where I am is non existent. Had to get one of their femtocell units. Reception in most of Southern Maine is pretty mediocre too. It's only when you get into Portland do you get reception, and LTE at that

Sent from my SPH-L720 using DBSTalk mobile app

#24 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

simple math: 4x0.5A = 2A :)

But the eBay product I alluded to appeared to have four separate, dedicated three lead regulators, with each one dedicated to a seperate USB port.  Each such port can only source 0.5 amps regardless of whether any current is being simultaneously drawn from the other three.

When I Google "USB"'', "charger" and "cable", I see some kludge solutions for ganging two USB voltage source ports together to nominally double the current sourcing to a single cable.  A word of warning to anyone who just tries to make his own "Y" cord is that unless you at least use some low resistance, current limiting resistors it is very easy for one port to effectively sink excessive current from the other,

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

But the eBay product I alluded to appeared to have four separate, dedicated three lead regulators, with each one dedicated to a seperate USB port.  Each such port can only source 0.5 amps regardless of whether any current is being simultaneously drawn from the other three.

When I Google "USB"'', "charger" and "cable", I see some kludge solutions for ganging two USB voltage source ports together to nominally double the current sourcing to a single cable.  A word of warning to anyone who just tries to make his own "Y" cord is that unless you at least use some low resistance, current limiting resistors it is very easy for one port to effectively sink excessive current from the other,

more then resistors must be used - diodes for prevent load one source from other

#26 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

If the plug pin is always positive, all you need is resistors.  Diodes will result in a forward drop of half a volt, which may severely screw up the charging efficiency.

I can't find the youtube instructional video I looked at before authoring my Post #24 in this thread, but in addition to its "producer" (surely, also its "director" and on-air "talent") using a breadboard for the junction, it did mention that the data wires on the load side need to be shorted, so that the phone will sense that it is connected to a dedicated charger and attempt to draw more current.

I remember when dedicated, switching power supplies first became readily available in the early 1980s, and we had a bunch of 3 amp ones but our bootleg Zaxxon circuit boards drew closer to 5 amps, we tried just tying the two 5 volt outputs together, but the problem was, the output voltage sensing could detect in inaccuracy if even a few hundredths of a volt, and so the one that saw its voltage as being too high would attempt to lower its output voltage, which made the other try to increase iits voltage, and in no time, one of them would heat up like a toaster before tripping its overcurrent circuit if it had one, or blowing its fuse.

I bought a few of the ultra-cheap 110 volt AV plug-to-cigarette-lighter socket on eBay for a dollar or so each, but was disappointed to see that they only source .500 amps and then shut down.  I would expect the circuitry in a similar, Hong Kong "free shipping-if-you-don't care-when-you-get-it"  110v to USB adapters use the same regulator, but from what I have read, any old USB port is capable of outputting 1 amp, so the simple, single jack.plug with the shorted data pins ON THE LOAD END does enable the load device to draw close to one amp, thereby cutting its charge time in half.

FWIW, I didn't find any premium charging cables touting higher gauge wire, whereas premium, long HDMI cables to use larger wire for its current sourcing circuit.

Edited by AntAltMike, 19 February 2014 - 07:33 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

what I could say ... use Shottky diodes and do refresh your knowledge about electric circuits ... "resistors" ... hehe

#28 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

You only need a tenth of an ohm or two or series resistance to make sure that the parallel regulated supplies don't "buck" each other.

If someone wants to make a science fair project out of this, there is a way to arrange four transistors to form the equivalent of a bridge rectification circuit and only drop 2/10 of a volt.  We used to have to do that when trying to extend the range of twisted pair telephone circuitry.

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:37 PM

I would definitely NOT recommend the approach with resistors !

You are must be responsible for results of someone who will burn his equipment. ::(

#30 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:56 AM

I ordered a micro USB 3.0, but that isn't working. Connection is way too big for the phone

#31 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:59 AM

I ordered a micro USB 3.0, but that isn't working. Connection is way too big for the phone

Did you buy a mini instead of micro?

mini-micro-usb-connector.gif

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#32 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

I ordered micro but apparently micro USB 3.0 connections have a larger/differ connector

#33 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:06 PM

It's a 2.0 connector with a wing.

Screen-shot-2013-09-05-at-12.24.33-PM.pn

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#34 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, that's it. Won't connect to a 2.0 connection

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

It's a 2.0 connector with a wing.

Screen-shot-2013-09-05-at-12.24.33-PM.pn

it's USB 3.0 connector

#36 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

Samsung phones tend to use microUSB 2.0 connectors. May I suggest Monoprice item 10240 for the charger and 8641 (or similar) for the cable? Or, as an alternative, a combination of 8606 extension cable and 8639 1.5 foot cable? I tend to wear out the microUSB connectors, so the low cost of the 8639s means it's easily swappable.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#37 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

The charger works fine. As far as cable, yeah, I tend to wear them out fast too, because I tend to sit/lie in bed at an angle, resting the phone on my stomach while using it. Yeah, I know you're not supposed to use a phone while it's charging, but it's ALL I currently have (No computer), and I'm constantly on Twitter and Facebook, as well as other stuff, so kinda hard not to use the phone.

#38 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,545 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:18 AM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q... USB connection

Whoa that's nice a smart search literally:)

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#39 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,411 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

The charger works fine. As far as cable, yeah, I tend to wear them out fast too, because I tend to sit/lie in bed at an angle, resting the phone on my stomach while using it. Yeah, I know you're not supposed to use a phone while it's charging, but it's ALL I currently have (No computer), and I'm constantly on Twitter and Facebook, as well as other stuff, so kinda hard not to use the phone.

Have you looked at any of the external / additional battery storage and chargers ?

http://www.sears.com...5_SPM9841616419

If you had 2 or 3 of these you could have one charging while you were using one.

Edit / Add: This one is 10,000 mAH.

http://www.sears.com..._SPM10823455316

Edited by jimmie57, 01 March 2014 - 05:53 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

spam firewall