Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I transfer DVR content from HR21 to Genie

dvr hr21 genie

Best Answer Drucifer , 18 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

What if you just had a couple that you really wanted to hang onto and had already watched them ?

Could you use the Genie to play the recording from the HR21 and as soon as it came to the screen press the Record button and record it to the Genie while it was playing from the HR21 ?

No

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   itsMillerTime4u

itsMillerTime4u

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

I have a HR21-200 and I'm looking to replace it with a Genie (HR44 I believe).  Is there a way to transfer the DVR content from one DVR to the other?  Perhaps I could copy it off to an external drive and then plug this drive into the Genie?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Nope, there is no way.  However, you might be able to keep the HR21 active for a few weeks until you watch down those recordings 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Recordings are tied to the specific DVR. You might want to keep the HR21 active until you have watched all the recordings, then deactivate it.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:22 PM

What if you just had a couple that you really wanted to hang onto and had already watched them ?

Could you use the Genie to play the recording from the HR21 and as soon as it came to the screen press the Record button and record it to the Genie while it was playing from the HR21 ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,215 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:59 PM   Best Answer

No

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:03 PM

Of course, u could've done it with Dish.  This is puzzling to me that D* has yet to implement something comparable. 

HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,547 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

There are things Dish does better, things DirecTV does better. Other things are more comparable or subjective as to who is better at something.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

Of course, u could've done it with Dish.  This is puzzling to me that D* has yet to implement something comparable. 

DTV missed two major thong: records linked to an account but a DVR and EHD what works for all DVRs in one account

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

DirecTV DVRs only record form its satellite tuners, and not from the "network" tuner 

• jimmie57 likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

DirecTV DVRs only record form its satellite tuners, and not from the "network" tuner

DIRECTV (all caps) DVRs only record from their associated tuners (be they satellite or OTA).
  • jimmie57 likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

DIRECTV (all caps) DVRs only record from their associated tuners (be they satellite or OTA).

Assuming you have an HR20 or an AM21. Of course I was being more "general"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:34 AM

No

^
This
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:45 AM

^
This

Did you decide that Drucifer gave the Best Answer ?

I did not mark it, don't even know how.

In fact, I do prefer the additional reasons given in a couple of the longer answers since I am always one that want to know "WHY".

My daddy told me I would not make a good soldier because I always wanted to know "WHY" and not just do as I was told.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:46 AM

Assuming you have an HR20 or an AM21. Of course I was being more "general"

You were being less general as you omitted the possibility of recording from OTA (where available).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

In fact, I do prefer the additional reasons given in a couple of the longer answers since I am always one that want to know "WHY".

The "WHY" is almost certainly a business decision on DIRECTV's part and its probably best not to try to explain (or defend) a business decision.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,360 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

The "WHY" is almost certainly a business decision on DIRECTV's part and its probably best not to try to explain (or defend) a business decision.

I don't think Jimmy was referring to that "why" but rather to the technical "why"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

I would lean more to a software programmers decision. Since you have it recorded there is no business reason not to let you put it on another DVR that you have. I suspect the programmers reasoning to be that if you already have it and you are connected with Whole Home DVR then there is no reason to take up additional space on another hard drive.

I have seen many decisions similar to this that were strictly made by the programmers.

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

OK, if you want the "why" --

Each recording is literally threaded through with references to the device which originated it. This is on purpose, so that programs can specifically not be moved from device to device. DIRECTV's encryption technology is the centerpiece of its entire technology. If they were not able to guarantee to content providers that their content could not be decoded and redistributed in pure digital form, they would have no ability to sign carriage contracts. Similarly, if they were not able to guarantee that only a DIRECTV receiver with a valid access card could watch DIRECTV programming, they would be unable to collect fees.

DIRECTV has always taken a very conservative line on this matter, unlike DISH which contends that it is strictly legal to do things like migrate recordings from device to device. DIRECTV's stance on this has led to far fewer legal battles attempted, and far less money paid to settle lawsuits and fulfill judgments.

Third party providers like TiVo and Sling do not record the pure digital signal (except where specifically allowed) and in TiVo's case even though they allow offloading it is of a transcoded signal that is significantly worse than the original. Sling does not create digital copies while it is streaming.

On the matter of DIRECTV-sanctioned placeshifting, such as is used by GenieGo, it takes place by replacing the original content protection with similarly strong content protection designed for mobile devices. DIRECTV is fairly late to the placeshifting game precisely because they acquired either concrete or de facto permission from content providers to do this.

From a technological point of view it would be possible for DIRECTV to safely decode and recode a recording so as to move it from one DVR to another, but it seems evident that they have determined two things:

(1) That the demand for such a service is not proportional to the cost of developing it;
(2) That such a service may require extensive contract changes which, again, require effort (i.e. cost) disproportional to the demand.

Finally I have reason to believe that such a service will become increasingly irrelevant as DIRECTV continues to develop its on-demand library and further integrates it with your DIRECTV service; losing a program that is recorded locally will be of no concern if you can stream that program from DIRECTV's servers.

I hope that answers your question to your satisfaction and I hope that you'll continue to ask questions if it doesn't. I'll continue to answer to the extent that I feel comfortable; my long-term relationship with DIRECTV is based on trust and there are some answers I don't feel comfortable giving.
  • jimmie57 likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,547 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Thank you Stuart, that was very helpful. I will say that I personally would even be willing to pay the one time $40 fee or something similar that Dish used to charge, and even if it were limited to Genie to Genie.

What I would really like even more is a way to backup series links and recording history to a USB key. That would be very useful for replacement, since FIA isn't available for everything.

#20 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,847 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Thanks to all for the good answers.

If I had WHDVR I could have tried it for myself and saw that it would not work. Maybe one day. For now I can watch the very little bit that I record on my second DVR in that room and I am OK wit that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dvr, hr21, genie

Protected By... spam firewall...And...