Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I transfer DVR content from HR21 to Genie

dvr hr21 genie

Best Answer Drucifer , 18 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

What if you just had a couple that you really wanted to hang onto and had already watched them ?

Could you use the Genie to play the recording from the HR21 and as soon as it came to the screen press the Record button and record it to the Genie while it was playing from the HR21 ?

No

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:38 AM

DIRECTV's stance on this has led to far fewer legal battles attempted, and far less money paid to settle lawsuits and fulfill judgments.

Evidence?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:40 AM

Harsh, I think you'll find a plethora of evidence, and I know you have the skills to find it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#23 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:42 AM

What I would really like even more is a way to backup series links and recording history to a USB key. That would be very useful for replacement, since FIA isn't available for everything.

I'd like that too, and I think you'll be pleased by some of the solutions which I expect to see publicly in the next 12 months.
  • dpeters11 likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   Ignatz

Ignatz

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

Not exactly what is being discussed in this thread, but it "is" possible to copy the entire contents of a DIRECTV HDDVR to another disk by cloning the entire disk. The cloned disk can then be substituted for the original, or connected as an external drive, and all the recordings will be viewable. But the disk is not viewable on another box, even of the same model number. 

#25 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,376 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Not exactly what is being discussed in this thread, but it "is" possible to copy the entire contents of a DIRECTV HDDVR to another disk by cloning the entire disk. The cloned disk can then be substituted for the original, or connected as an external drive, and all the recordings will be viewable. But the disk is not viewable on another box, even of the same model number. 

There is a long thread on this whole subject here:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ne#entry3229074

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

he is try to reinvent the wheel :)

#27 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,183 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

So what is the relevance here....  No one is disputing that fact....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,991 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:44 AM

OK, if you want the "why" --

Each recording is literally threaded through with references to the device which originated it. This is on purpose, so that programs can specifically not be moved from device to device. DIRECTV's encryption technology is the centerpiece of its entire technology. If they were not able to guarantee to content providers that their content could not be decoded and redistributed in pure digital form, they would have no ability to sign carriage contracts. Similarly, if they were not able to guarantee that only a DIRECTV receiver with a valid access card could watch DIRECTV programming, they would be unable to collect fees.

DIRECTV has always taken a very conservative line on this matter, unlike DISH which contends that it is strictly legal to do things like migrate recordings from device to device. DIRECTV's stance on this has led to far fewer legal battles attempted, and far less money paid to settle lawsuits and fulfill judgments.

Third party providers like TiVo and Sling do not record the pure digital signal (except where specifically allowed) and in TiVo's case even though they allow offloading it is of a transcoded signal that is significantly worse than the original. Sling does not create digital copies while it is streaming.

On the matter of DIRECTV-sanctioned placeshifting, such as is used by GenieGo, it takes place by replacing the original content protection with similarly strong content protection designed for mobile devices. DIRECTV is fairly late to the placeshifting game precisely because they acquired either concrete or de facto permission from content providers to do this.

From a technological point of view it would be possible for DIRECTV to safely decode and recode a recording so as to move it from one DVR to another, but it seems evident that they have determined two things:

(1) That the demand for such a service is not proportional to the cost of developing it;
(2) That such a service may require extensive contract changes which, again, require effort (i.e. cost) disproportional to the demand.

Finally I have reason to believe that such a service will become increasingly irrelevant as DIRECTV continues to develop its on-demand library and further integrates it with your DIRECTV service; losing a program that is recorded locally will be of no concern if you can stream that program from DIRECTV's servers.

I hope that answers your question to your satisfaction and I hope that you'll continue to ask questions if it doesn't. I'll continue to answer to the extent that I feel comfortable; my long-term relationship with DIRECTV is based on trust and there are some answers I don't feel comfortable giving.

The problem is that DIRECTV will never be able to offer all tv shows on major networks long term for six months to a year on demand. So their on demand library will never be a better solution IMHO. It's a great help but it's not the end all.

Plus for upgrades it's ridiculous to have to tell a customer well you have to go and write down all the shows you recorded even if it's 100 TV shows and movies combined and then going to find them all on demand and re record them all rather than just saying okay plug in a hard drive hit back up and then plug it into this when it hit download. And have it not only download all your recordings but all your settings as well.

#29 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,844 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

The problem is that DIRECTV will never be able to offer all tv shows on major networks long term for six months to a year on demand. So their on demand library will never be a better solution IMHO. It's a great help but it's not the end all.

Plus for upgrades it's ridiculous to have to tell a customer well you have to go and write down all the shows you recorded even if it's 100 TV shows and movies combined and then going to find them all on demand and re record them all rather than just saying okay plug in a hard drive hit back up and then plug it into this when it hit download. And have it not only download all your recordings but all your settings as well.

I'm going to go through that today when my 3 TB drive and BlacX dock arrive for the HR44-700.  About 10 days ago, I realized I wanted to add the eSATA, so I stopped recording on the HR44 and we have been watching what had been recorded. I moved all my recordings over to an Hr24 with a 2 TB eSATA on it (by that I mean scheduled recordings, as there is no way to "move" the actual recordings).

I have a two page list of all the series that I am going to record on the new drive, which I will have to manually input when the new drive is set up. It would be nice if this bit of data could be stored "somewhere" and retrieved. It's not the end of the world and only takes perhaps half an hour or so, but it seems silly to have to do it, considering it is nothing more than a list of scheduled recordings.

Of course, this doesn't address the issue of recording accessibility by account instead of by device, but I found a way around that by planning well ahead for the drive change. I would much prefer the capability to view recordings on any DVR from any eSATA drive on the account. Not holding my breath, though.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#30 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:17 AM

I would be nice if recordings were transferable between different dvr's, then upgrades,replacement or downgrades would be more desirable to do, then to think about losing recordings.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#31 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,526 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

But I bet there's a lot of people that have DVR's that don't know you can add externals to your DVR. because Directv don't promote it like they used to.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

you are :bang , the request is on a table for many years and DTV is not willing to take it - see Stewart (I would say almost DTV) position on that :(

#33 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,843 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:51 PM

I would be nice if recordings were transferable between different dvr's, then upgrades,replacement or downgrades would be more desirable to do, then to think about losing recordings.

Maybe DirecTV's future Cloud-like whatever it is going to be will be able to do that, providing that the source DVR HDD is not toast.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#34 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

I have wondered how/why TiVo has been able to get away with it. Roamio to Roamio HD recording transfers average 185-205Mbps between DVRs. Unless they don't have the same restrictions since they just access the content, and don't provide it directly. I assume that the Cablelabs spec allows what they do.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

I have wondered how/why TiVo has been able to get away with it. Roamio to Roamio HD recording transfers average 185-205Mbps between DVRs. Unless they don't have the same restrictions since they just access the content, and don't provide it directly. I assume that the Cablelabs spec allows what they do.

how they connected ? 1 Gb Ethernet cable ? or eSATA-eSATA cable ?

#36 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

how they connected ? 1 Gb Ethernet cable ? or eSATA-eSATA cable ?

Gigabit Ethernet.

Depends on the cable provider and the CCI flag. For FiOS, can freely copy all recordings other the HBO.

Highest I've experienced is 205Mbps Roamio to Roamio. MoCA was less.

I've always wondered why it's so easily allowed.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#37 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

perhaps they using technical loophole - transferring events encoded by themselves ? ie not copying original bitstream ?

#38 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:33 PM

perhaps they using technical loophole - transferring events encoded by themselves ? ie not copying original bitstream ?

Have always had the impression that it's a full duplicate copy, same as the original. Very handy when wanting a backup, or when upgrading.

#39 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,531 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

Harsh, I think you'll find a plethora of evidence, and I know you have the skills to find it.

A brilliant defence.

I've not been able to find any evidence of lawsuits against DISH for their EHD feature. Because the feature doesn't increase the number of copies of a particular program, I doubt there would be any squawking.

Any squawking about the feature seems to come from DIRECTV users who don't have access to it and I haven't seen any formal litigation against DIRECTV as a result of the absence of the feature.

Obviously, reasoning that the evidence doesn't exist doesn't mean that there isn't any, but I haven't found any so I asked you to support your claim with any of this "plethora of evidence".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#40 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

I've not been able to find any evidence of lawsuits against DISH for their EHD feature. Because the feature doesn't increase the number of copies of a particular program, I doubt there would be any squawking.

I'm pretty certain he wasn't talking specifically about the use of external hard drives.  He was saying as a whole DirecTV has been very strict with their copy protections, and as a result have had very few lawsuits from the channels/content owners.  Can you find any instances where a channel or content owner has sued DirecTV for allowing customers to copy/view/etc. their content in a way they felt DirecTV did not have the rights to allow?

Now on the other hand Dish, Charter, and a few others have all had some pretty big lawsuits over stuff like commercial skipping, streaming channels outside the home, making copies of recordings etc.

Pretty much comes down to DirecTV usually doesn't do anything unless they are certain their contracts allow it.  Some of the other companies tend to lean more towards doing whatever they want unless their contract strictly forbids it, and let the courts figure out if they should have or not.

Edited by Beerstalker, 26 February 2014 - 12:04 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dvr, hr21, genie

spam firewall