Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can I transfer DVR content from HR21 to Genie

dvr hr21 genie

Best Answer Drucifer , 18 February 2014 - 09:59 PM

What if you just had a couple that you really wanted to hang onto and had already watched them ?

Could you use the Genie to play the recording from the HR21 and as soon as it came to the screen press the Record button and record it to the Genie while it was playing from the HR21 ?

No

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,361 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

DIRECTV has always taken a very conservative line on this matter, unlike DISH which contends that it is strictly legal to do things like migrate recordings from device to device. DIRECTV's stance on this has led to far fewer legal battles attempted, and far less money paid to settle lawsuits and fulfill judgments.

I'm pretty certain he wasn't talking specifically about the use of external hard drives.  He was saying as a whole DirecTV has been very strict with their copy protections, and as a result have had very few lawsuits from the channels/content owners.

It appeared that he was talking specifically about "migrating" content from device to device (what DISH's EHD technology does) and that was what was saving DIRECTV from one kind of litigation that DISH was experiencing.

The flaw in the argument is that the DISH EHD content is indeed encrypted but the way they share the keys is different. I'm guessing that DIRECTV uses a similar form of key sharing for WHDS so that the playing device can decode content encrypted by and for another DVR on the same account.

DISH's EHD technology doesn't create copies of the content and that's why I believe it should be immune from litigation.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

A brilliant defence.

No need to be a db about it....Beerstalker is 100% correct here.  there are posts all over this place about Dish being sued over this and that, I cant remember the last time I read about a DIrectv suit of a similar nature. 

#43 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

It appeared that he was talking specifically about "migrating" content from device to device (what DISH's EHD technology does) and that was what was saving DIRECTV from one kind of litigation that DISH was experiencing.

The flaw in the argument is that the DISH EHD content is indeed encrypted but the way they share the keys is different. I'm guessing that DIRECTV uses a similar form of key sharing for WHDS so that the playing device can decode content encrypted by and for another DVR on the same account.

DISH's EHD technology doesn't create copies of the content and that's why I believe it should be immune from litigation.

I disagree, I think he was talking more broadly.

DirecTV does not share the keys when using whole home DVR service.  The recording is decoded on the DVR that it is stored on, and then sent out to the other DVR/receiver to be shown, or at least that is the way I have been led to believe it works.  This is why they DVRs can only stream to one other device at a time.

I would agree that in this particular instance, Dish seems to be doing fine.  Encrypting the recordings so they can only be used by receivers on the same account seems to be good enough for the channels/content owners and they haven't been sued over this, that original decision was a little bit risky though.  DirecTV made a more cautios decision in the beginning and decided to encrypt so they can only be used on a specific device just to be on the safe side. 

Now that DirecTV has seen that the content owners don't mind it they may indeed consider this on future devices, but for now it seems they have decided that it is not worth going back and redoing all their current systems in order to make it work.  Maybe when they come out with new hardware for 4K it will run on completely different software and they can include that feature in those systems.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,738 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

"redoing all their current systems in order to make it work."

:rolling:

Lets make real argument !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dvr, hr21, genie