Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will there ever be an HR25?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:48 AM

It seems that Directv's focus is on their genie and whole home dvr solutions. Does this mean the Directv intends to eventually transition every customer to a client/server based system? Or will they still make a new traditional hd dvr.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:20 AM

I certainly hope they still make them, since only one genie is allowed. I don't think there is any plan to discontinue them, but really, what could they really do with an HR25, other than larger drive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:28 AM

I certainly hope they still make them, since only one genie is allowed. I don't think there is any plan to discontinue them, but really, what could they really do with an HR25, other than larger drive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Faster processor.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:09 AM

Add 4K video support but I'd guess then it would be a HR41.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:25 AM

From a financial standpoint, I don't DirecTV ever improving a dual tuner DVR.  they got plenty of HR24s to go around for quite awhile from folks upgrading to the Genie System.  If 4K support is a must, I see DirecTV enhancing its Genie platform or as a standalone HD receiver 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:55 AM

From a financial standpoint, I don't DirecTV ever improving a dual tuner DVR.  they got plenty of HR24s to go around for quite awhile from folks upgrading to the Genie System.  If 4K support is a must, I see DirecTV enhancing its Genie platform or as a standalone HD receiver 

Then they need to allow for multiple Genie's on an account IMHO.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:59 AM

Then they need to allow for multiple Genie's on an account IMHO.

I am very confident that this will happen over time.  When a new receiver "hits the field" employee accounts are not able to get them.  I think it took almost a year for employees to be able to get the Genie (through the proper channels).  I think what is holding multiple Genies on one account is inventory, although I can't dismissed the technical issues either.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

A local D* installer I've worked with, while admitting no one in 'management' has said so to him, feels it is 'obvious' that multiple Genies are not allowed because of account stacking.

FWIW . . .

#9 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:47 AM

There are a lot of reasons multiple Genies aren't on the map, I'm sure account stacking figures in.

But to the initial question, Mike White has said there will be a new low cost DVR. Whether it will be called HR25 is unknown.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

A local D* installer I've worked with, while admitting no one in 'management' has said so to him, feels it is 'obvious' that multiple Genies are not allowed because of account stacking.

FWIW . . .

So you can do "account stacking" with multiple DVRs but not with Genies?  It does not make sense 

• damondlt likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

Guys, what's account stacking? And why is it not ok? Just curious. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,829 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

Guys, what's account stacking? And why is it not ok? Just curious. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone

Multi receivers at multiple houses... one account.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

Multi receivers at multiple houses... one account.

Gotcha. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone
/steve

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,337 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

From a financial standpoint, I don't DirecTV ever improving a dual tuner DVR.

For DIRECTV, "improving" any product line has primarily been a matter of cost reduction.  The bumps in hard drive capacity (250->320->500) have followed the economics of hard drives.  The newer chipsets presumably have a lower component count and reduce the need for external devices like DECA adapters that are now an integral part of their baseline HD offering.  The HR23 was a gallant attempt  at getting rid of BBCs.

I could see a new model if GenieGo functionality caught fire but the model for the next few years is surely based on a client-server configuration.  How DIRECTV deals with storage flexibility may well need to change significantly going forward.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

For DIRECTV, "improving" any product line has primarily been a matter of cost reduction.  The bumps in hard drive capacity (250->320->500) have followed the economics of hard drives.  The newer chipsets presumably have a lower component count and reduce the need for external devices like DECA adapters that are now an integral part of their baseline HD offering.  The HR23 was a gallant attempt  at getting rid of BBCs.

I could see a new model if GenieGo functionality caught fire but the model for the next few years is surely based on a client-server configuration.  How DIRECTV deals with storage flexibility may well need to change significantly going forward.

Exactly my point 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

I'm not holding my breath a 'new and improved' HDDVR would have an RF remote with range = or better than the DISH procduct, simultaneous RF/IR too, continuous composite output regardless of the HD settings, built in HD modulator for both tuners, small enough to fit behind TV, all the current plugin goodies built in (CCK, etc) SWM input fully compatible with diplexer use, built in dual tuner OTA, ability to record 2 HD satellite and 2 HD OTA shows simultaneously, or even better, ability to record a main and all subs of a given channel as 1 of 2 simultaneous OTA channels recordable, selection of front panel blinky lights color, a true power saving mode, a small LCD screen on the front of the receiver to show current channel number or error code if problem is occurring, comparability with Iogear HD receivers, built in Darblet video processor, and a dust repelling mat black housing.

(yeah, and I am under no illusion any of that is forthcoming)

:coffee

#17 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 297 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

What about simply upgrading the HR24 to have the power supply outside of the box, just like the HR44?  Make the entire box smaller and make the a point of failure (the power supply) replaceable as well as remove heat from the harddrive.

As for the next iteration of Genie, I would think they would bake the GenieGo right into the box.  Just a guess, though. 

DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#18 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,494 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

What about simply upgrading the HR24 to have the power supply outside of the box, just like the HR44?  Make the entire box smaller and make the a point of failure (the power supply) replaceable as well as remove heat from the harddrive.

Nahh, too little change for a new box.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,035 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

In one of last year's investor calls, they mentioned something about bringing their "LEGO" technology from Latin America. That lets people take a receiver, add a hard drive to it (probably via USB or eSATA) and it becomes a DVR.

Probably not what those who want an updated HR24 have in mind since it would have just the one tuner (unless that receiver model comes with more than one tuner that is dormant until it becomes a DVR) but as a new model it would certainly be faster.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,721 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

e* is using EHD via USB without a fancy childish name for long time, they went same way with new OTA DVR K77 aka CM7500 aka DVR+ a couple years ago [after modding HDT-610R EU variant to K77]

Edited by P Smith, 19 February 2014 - 04:59 PM.

spam firewall