Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why do you need a GenieGo device just to stream recordings through your home network.

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:26 AM

Since you can stream recordings to your pc with Directv2pc with out needing an extra device then why can't you do the same with your mobile device through your home network. Is this just a way for Directv to make extra money or is it really needed for technical reasons. Correct me if i'm wrong and you can do it this way. I have a genie but don't have an iphone or an android device so I can't try it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:29 AM

Since you can stream recordings to your pc with Directv2pc with out needing an extra device then why can't you do the same with your mobile device through your home network. Is this just a way for Directv to make extra money or is it really needed for technical reasons. Correct me if i'm wrong and you can do it this way. I have a genie but don't have an iphone or an android device so I can't try it.

Encryption and DRM.

#3 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

OK I'm fine with that but why isn't encryption and drm needed for the pc when it is the most versatile device and someone might find a way to crack the software and be able to download the recordings to the hard drive an could distribute it.

#4 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,115 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:08 AM

The GenieGo transcodes the recordings to a format and resolution most mobile phones can handle. (i.e. many phones do not support MPEG2 video or AC3 natively and can't handle HD video without dropping frames or using a lot of processing power)

As for DirecTV2PC, it uses DRM as well as HDCP to block things like screen capturing. If your video card driver and monitor don't support HDCP, it won't run.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,253 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

As KyL416 mentions, you need a way to convert or "dumb down" these huge HD files to a file that an smartphone supports and quite frankly to a file size that is manageable to the smartphones limited memory.  One can argue that this "transcoding" device can be built in to the DVRs or be built in to the smartphone (which is out of the question, really).  So perhaps one day we will see the GG device built in to the Genie

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

GenieGo's primary use is for taking your recording with you; no need for internet or WiFi connections at all. Streaming to it was added later. 

At the same time, there about a hundred programs you can stream to your iPad or iPhone or those other devices now; they are delivered via the Net, and so don't need conversion in the home. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

I'm also of the belief that a much more convenient, simpler, greener and still secure GenieGo experience can be fully accomplished by software rather than hardware, today. If you add the element of a cloud, the experience would be even better, tomorrow.

#8 OFFLINE   PeterB

PeterB

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:59 AM

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that ALL the live TV feeds from the DTV app and DTV2PC originate from specially encoded streams at directv. You actually aren't streaming anything from the receiver itself, the receiver needs to be detected on the local network to assure you are home because of the content providers contracts are only for in home viewing. (with a few exceptions)

So the GenieGO is needed for recordings because DTV doesn't have your content on their servers to encode and stream out to you. 

Could the receiver do this encoding internally in software? Yep. Doesn't it have the CPU power to do so? Judging on its speed currently, no.

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,253 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

I may be wrong, but I am pretty sure that ALL the live TV feeds from the DTV app and DTV2PC originate from specially encoded streams at directv. You actually aren't streaming anything from the receiver itself, the receiver needs to be detected on the local network to assure you are home because of the content providers contracts are only for in home viewing. (with a few exceptions)

So the GenieGO is needed for recordings because DTV doesn't have your content on their servers to encode and stream out to you. 

Could the receiver do this encoding internally in software? Yep. Doesn't it have the CPU power to do so? Judging on its speed currently, no.

Yup, you are.  DirecTV2PC streams directly from the receiver 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:26 AM

Your logic seems a little confusing to me. As a directv subscriber, either I can contractually watch 2 Broke Girls on my ipad out of the home, like with the current GenieGo experience, or not. As far as where that video file lives or originated doesn't seem to matter either. I encourage you to research Plex. It involves a software Media server that lives on a CPU or a NAS drive in your home, from there you can stream your video library to any device, or even Sync it to a device for times when there's no internet connection. If needed, it transcodes. If you added software encryption to Plex, you'd have the complete GenieGo experience. For the odd contractual issues, the software could prevent the GenieGo experience as needed. There are several Plex like solutions already on the market, and many are free.

#11 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,476 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

Can't a sling box achieve the same as a nomad?

Just asking!

From What I understood, Slingbox allow full operation of any DVR make, model, or Company.

Nomad is only Directv HRs, and not live tv.

Is this correct?

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

A slingbox doesn't allow you to offload programming to a mobile device. GenieGo does. GenieGo is also quoite a bit less expensive than Slingbox and it does stream recorded programming (not live.) Here's a little more about that: http://forums.solids...gbox-or-GenieGo

Now as to GenieGo vs. DIRECTV2PC, it comes down to whether or not you can actually use DIRECTV2PC. DIRECTV2PC is no longer being developed or internally supported so if you can watch it... great. Best of luck to you there. I was a big fan of the app when it launched way back when -- even helped write the first look -- but to every thing there is a season, and DIRECTV2PC's season has passed.

The simple fact of it is that GenieGo is a currently supported product available at a fair price that outperforms DIRECTV2PC. Use DIRECTV2PC if it makes you happy, but don't complain if the free, unsupported product doesn't work.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,476 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

A slingbox doesn't allow you to offload programming to a mobile device. GenieGo does. GenieGo is also quoite a bit less expensive than Slingbox and it does stream recorded programming (not live.) Here's a little more about that: http://forums.solids...gbox-or-GenieGo

Now as to GenieGo vs. DIRECTV2PC, it comes down to whether or not you can actually use DIRECTV2PC. DIRECTV2PC is no longer being developed or internally supported so if you can watch it... great. Best of luck to you there. I was a big fan of the app when it launched way back when -- even helped write the first look -- but to every thing there is a season, and DIRECTV2PC's season has passed.

The simple fact of it is that GenieGo is a currently supported product available at a fair price that outperforms DIRECTV2PC. Use DIRECTV2PC if it makes you happy, but don't complain if the free, unsupported product doesn't work.

Thank you for the info.

Though I'm really sure you can Sling box to a mobile device.  Unless I'm missing something?

??

http://www.slingbox.com/go/spm

SlingPlayer for Android Phones

Extend your living room TV experience to your Android phone with SlingPlayer software. With a Slingbox at home and SlingPlayer on your compatible smartphone, enjoy live or recorded TV over a 3G, 4G or Wi-Fi connection. If you like TV, it's hard not to smile when you take control of your TV and DVR from your Android phone. Flip through your local channels with the virtual remote control. Pause, fast-forward, rewind and even schedule DVR recordings. Watch video on demand and pay-per-view programs. And now with SlingPlayer for Android Phones and Roku, you can watch TV wherever you have a Roku streamer connected – on a 2nd TV in your home, the vacation getaway, or college dorm room. Never miss another show or game – whether you're in the back yard, out to lunch or on the other side of the world. It's your TV. Now it can go with you wherever you go on your Android Phone.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,253 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

If you want a Slingbox and GG experience with out getting a GenieGO, you can use the VulKano, it streams and download to mobile device

http://www.monsoonmu...m/products.html

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,476 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

If you want a Slingbox and GG experience with out getting a GenieGO, you can use the VulKano, it streams and download to mobile device

http://www.monsoonmu...m/products.html

Thanks,

I have my reasons for not wanting a Genie Go.

For one if I switch providers, Thats a bust,

Also I want to watch Live tv, not just recordings.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

G15 Internet

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,253 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Thanks,

I have my reasons for not wanting a Genie Go.

For one if I switch providers, Thats a bust,

Also I want to watch Live tv, not just recordings.

Then the Vulkano was made just for you!!

• damondlt likes this
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thank you for the info.
Though I'm really sure you can Sling box to a mobile device.  Unless I'm missing something?
??

As stated, you can stream, not offload. Also Sling's apps are like $15-25.

#18 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

Our TV watching is in a really exciting state of flux right now, but technological and licensing trends are emerging. I feel confident that within a couple years, hardware devices like sling, vulkano, and GenieGo will be redundant dinosaurs replaced by software, apps, subscriptions, clouds, and perhaps any decent CPU you may already have access to, including a PC, Xbox, Apple TV, or Roku.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,375 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:22 AM

The simple fact of it is that GenieGo is a currently supported product available at a fair price that outperforms DIRECTV2PC.

In that DIRECTV2PC offers true 1:1 quality and GenieGo doesn't, I'm not sure it is reasonable to assert that GenieGo "outperforms" DIRECTV2PC.  GenieGo is certainly easier to use and more likely to work with a particular target configuration but performance is largely a matter of picture and sound quality and with the advent of Full HD at all form factors, GenieGo won't get you there.

Edited by harsh, 19 February 2014 - 11:23 AM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:04 PM

DIRECTV2PC offers better quality... if it works. GenieGO also lets you offload recordings to a PC or mobile device, DIRECTV2PC does not.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...