Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Snoopy sensor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,774 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:42 AM

I recently bought an HP60 laptop which felt warmer to the touch than I would have liked it to, so to monitor its internal component temperatures, I Googled for temperature sensing programs and chose to install CPUID HWMonitor, figuring that its source, C/NET, was the only source of such a program whose name I recognized from the half a dozen I evaluated.

One thing that is troubling me, however, is that each time I click the desktop icon to utilize it, it opens a "user account control" box requiring that I expressly give it permission to continue.  At the bottom of that box, it informs me that, "User account control helps stop unauthorized changes to (my) computer"

I don't see why a program to report my temperatures to me would require any such authorization from me to change my computer in order to utilize it after its initial installation.  What gives??

Edited by AntAltMike, 19 February 2014 - 07:59 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,944 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

No, that is completely normal and understandable. To do what it does, it needs admin privileges. That program is very well known and well regarded.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,739 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

There are many "rings" of security and to get to the technical data coming from the mainboard, you have to go relatively deep into the rings.

Under normal circumstances, there's no reason any application should need to know what your CPU temperature, CPU voltage or power supply fan speed are.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

My Winstron 3712 (?) TZS0 and TZS1 were running at near 80 degrees C last night, and today they reached the low 90s.  I tried to determine if the fan was running by sliding a thin strip of paper in a vent or crevice that I think was over the fan, but didn't hear the blades hitting it, so I ordered a fan for $7 on eBay and then located the service manual to see how much of a chore it will be to replace it.  If and when I do, I will have to first pull nearly every removable  component out and I dread that.

I found elsewhere that quite often, dust accounts for overheating, so I blew compressed air in the ports and now the temperature of the Winstron 3712 TZS0 and TZS1 measurements are ranging from 46 to 52 degrees C and the Pentium T4200 core #0 and #1 readings are solid 37 and 38 degrees C.  If they stay there, I won't bother installing the fan when it arrives.

BTW, I bought a 3 gallon, 100 PSI compressor from Harbor Freight for $70 or $80 and it pays for itself every time I use it.  I think I paid less than $15 for an accessory pack that included a hose, and over a dozen useful fittings and adapters.

Edited by AntAltMike, 20 February 2014 - 03:43 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

...I found elsewhere that quite often, dust accounts for overheating, so I blew compressed air in the ports and now the temperature of the Winstron 3712 TZS0 and TZS1 measurements are ranging from 46 to 52 degrees C and the Pentium T4200 core #0 and #1 readings are solid 37 and 38 degrees C.  If they stay there, I won't bother installing the fan when it arrives.

I blew air through the vents again, and the Pentium T4200's reported temperature dropped to 18C, (64F) and has stayed there for over 12 hours, and the bottom of the case near the processor is cool to the touch.

The mystery now, however, is how the temperature can be a solid 64F when the room temperature varies between 73 and 76F.  One possible explanation is that  the temperature sensor or decoding circuitry may be malfunctioning and maybe 18C/65F is simply the lowest it can report.  I'd hate to think that the accuracy could be ten degreees off, as I was really impressed by operating and battery voltages reported to three decimal places, and perhaps that degree of reporting precision is not warranted, either,

Edited by AntAltMike, 24 February 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

What do these cost? Peanuts? (Sorry, I couldn't resist).......

#7 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:11 PM

http://metropolitici...srvMagCover.jpg

Back to: "You are not allowed to use that image extension in this forum".  I'm sure it will work again at some time in the future.

SnoopyCsrvMagCover.jpg

Edited by AntAltMike, 27 February 2014 - 07:02 AM.

#8 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

You aren't going to believe what I had to do to get the image in the above post to work. I had to go to an old thread in which I had posted an .img file image, click "edit", copy the contents of that thread from the editing window, click the upper left button in the editing box toolbar to display formatting and copy it.<br /><br />Then, I opened the editing window for Post #7 in this thread, clicked it to show the formatting, pasted in the image coding from that other thread, and then selected "preview" and my copied-and-pasted images appeared as images, even though they, too, used the impermissible image file extension, ".img". So then, I copied the url from the top of Post #7 and inserted it in the middle of one of the working image urls and then deleted the old or original url, and was left with a string of characters exactly like the top line of Post #7, only this one produced the desired image of the Compuserve magazine cover, which you now see above.<br /><br />There seems to be some nutty kind of formatting imbedding being incorporated here that I can't readily see but that I can eventually work around

Meanwhile, this composition function has for some reason stuck "<br /><br />" variously in my new message.

Edited by AntAltMike, 27 February 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,872 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

it's known issue when some boards/sensors reported temperature twice low then real, so just multiply it by 2, ie the 18C should be read as 36C

to trouble shoot the issue you will need get full info from sensors (dump) and send it to the program's developer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...