Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Solid Signal Sale on HR44 - $199

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,082 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

I just saw this a minute ago - get 'em while they're hot! Directv HR44 Genie for $199. That's a heck of a discount for the latest and greatest, folks! 

http://www.solidsign...use&location=00

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

looks like is a lease, not buy to own

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

That is quite a drop in price. It usually makes me think that a newer model is on the way soon. This is pure speculation on my part.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

Any regulars here secretly beta testing an HR55 SuperGenie need to fess up right now !!!!!!!!!!!!

:righton:

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

looks like is a lease, not buy to own

Yeah that's pretty obvious.

a0d7.png

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

I can say with total honesty that I am not testing any SuperGenie. Maybe they just want to make a few bucks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

Yeah that's pretty obvious.

I knew that! I was making a statement.   I just don't the see "news" factor here.  most of the folks are getting these for free

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,897 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:17 PM

I just saw this a minute ago - get 'em while they're hot! Directv HR44 Genie for $199. That's a heck of a discount for the latest and greatest, folks! 

http://www.solidsign...use&location=00

Don't see any WARNING about not being allow more than one. Or did I miss it in the fine print somewhere?

Edited by Drucifer, 19 February 2014 - 01:18 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,672 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:20 PM

Don't see any WARNING about not being allow more than one. Or did I miss it in the fine print somewhere?

Yeah, is there

DIRECTV-HR44-Genie-RVU-Server-for-Whole-Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:28 PM

I can say with total honesty that I am not testing any SuperGenie. Maybe they just want to make a few bucks.

I'm thinking you're just saying that because THEY want you too.  I'll go get the electrodes!

!rolling

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,691 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

It usually makes me think that a newer model is on the way soon.

It is probably just me, but it makes me think that because DIRECTV hasn't seen fit to allow more than one Genie on an account that the market is considerably more saturated than anyone had guessed it would be.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,082 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

It is probably just me, but it makes me think that because DIRECTV hasn't seen fit to allow more than one Genie on an account that the market is considerably more saturated than anyone had guessed it would be.

That's not the reason. 

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#13 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:19 PM

That is quite a drop in price. It usually makes me think that a newer model is on the way soon. This is pure speculation on my part.

I saw something on the "other site" claiming two new Genies were coming, one low cost and one supporting 4K. I believe they referred to them as HR46 and HR54. So who knows?

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

Guys at other sites have interesting imaginations.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#15 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,736 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

I saw something on the "other site" claiming two new Genies were coming, one low cost and one supporting 4K. I believe they referred to them as HR46 and HR54. So who knows?

"The all NEW Super Genie
4K support
built in GenieGo
built in WiFi and WVB
2 TB hard drive
8 tuners
200 series links
streaming to 4 TV's
QUAD PIP
coming "soon" to a TV near you!"

:D :D :D

Here too. One can dream right? ;)

#16 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

That may be, I occasionally browse it but the quality of discussion isn't nearly on par with dbstalk. The only reason I noted it was because it came from one of the mods. He went to CES hoping to learn more about the HR46, HR54 and Playstation RVU capability. He said some Directv employees showed him some stuff there they probably weren't supposed to and he couldn't say anything about it for fear of getting them in trouble, but "we saw what we wanted to see". Maybe he's full of hot air, I have no idea.

He says the HR46 is the 4K Genie, and the HR54 is the low cost one, using some new type of wideband tuners. If anyone is curious to find the posts, search on "site:satelliteguys.us hr46" and you can find the two threads that mention it.

#17 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:51 AM

I would think the discussion next would be a new satellite that is capable of the 4k before they came out with a box for it.

Maybe Solid Signal put the HR44 on sale because as has been mentioned already, DTV is giving most of them away and they are not really selling any of them at Solid Signal.

I do think they will come out with a new box in the HR2x line. If you stop going forward then you are going backwards and the competition will leave you behind possibly. I wrote to DTV in 2010 and asked them why didn't they make a receiver with and external power supply and use an external hard disc if you wanted it to record. This would give just one actual box to make instead of 2.

I also asked why didn't they use the USB port for a flash drive and store all the graphics on it and the HR2x boxes could have all the graphics that the DVRs have. I was told that someone had a patent on use of that idea for storage and they could not do that at this time. I don't know if those kind of patents run out like medicine patents do or what.

If the Series Links were stored on the flash drive you could remove it and plug it into a replacement box after a hard drive or power supply, etc. failure.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,910 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:17 AM

I knew that! I was making a statement.   I just don't the see "news" factor here.  most of the folks are getting these for free

Some would be willing to pay the $200 to be guaranteed the 44.

#19 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,391 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:41 PM

I would think the discussion next would be a new satellite that is capable of the 4k before they came out with a box for it.

Maybe Solid Signal put the HR44 on sale because as has been mentioned already, DTV is giving most of them away and they are not really selling any of them at Solid Signal.

I do think they will come out with a new box in the HR2x line. If you stop going forward then you are going backwards and the competition will leave you behind possibly. I wrote to DTV in 2010 and asked them why didn't they make a receiver with and external power supply and use an external hard disc if you wanted it to record. This would give just one actual box to make instead of 2.

I also asked why didn't they use the USB port for a flash drive and store all the graphics on it and the HR2x boxes could have all the graphics that the DVRs have. I was told that someone had a patent on use of that idea for storage and they could not do that at this time. I don't know if those kind of patents run out like medicine patents do or what.

If the Series Links were stored on the flash drive you could remove it and plug it into a replacement box after a hard drive or power supply, etc. failure.

A newer box that replaces the H25 and/or HR24 is a dead certainty, because they'll need a 4K capable receiver if they hope to push 4K. I think the D14 satellite will need to be launched and operational before customers ever see 4K, so that's end of the year at the absolute earliest. If they're shooting for that sort of time frame, they'd have to begin building prototypes of 4K capable equipment for internal testing. It is only recently than HEVC decoder chips and the HDMI 2.0 standard was finalized to allow even designing 4K capable equipment.

Another example of how broken our patent system is if storing graphics downloaded via satellite or internet can be patented. That's obvious to everyone, let alone those "skilled in the art"! Patent terms are same as for drugs, 20 year duration (17 years for older ones filed over a few years ago under a slightly different system) You wouldn't need a USB drive on the receivers, just 10 cents worth added to the flash already present for the firmware.

#20 OFFLINE   Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOcala, FL

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

This talk of a Super Genie is interesting.  I had an HR20 & HR21 since 2007 until replacing the HR20 with an HR44-700 a few months ago.  After spending 6+ years taking naps between channel changes, it seems to me that the HR44 is a Super Genie.  :rotfl:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...