Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

“This is as big a change to wireless as tubes-to-transistor was to electronics,”

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,644 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:29 PM

Mobile broadband speeds have come a long way in the last few years with the rollout of LTE networks across the US and several other countries. But as the number of data-hungry smartphone and tablet users continues to rise, even the fastest of connections face inevitable slowdowns while devices compete for bandwidth from a single tower. This is specially true in densely packed settings like stadiums or public transport stations.

Steve Perlman believes his company's pCell technology (short for “personal cell”) will be the definitive answer to this problem, and he’s not afraid to set expectations incredibly high. “This is as big a change to wireless as tubes-to-transistor was to electronics,” he recently told The New York Times.

http://www.techspot....dead-zones.html

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

I read about this yesterday in a somewhat longer Bloomberg article that notes:

To work properly, a company backing the pCell technology would need to build out a large data center in addition to deploying the transmitters. It’s in the data center where servers constantly crunch away on the algorithms that form the unique wireless stream aimed at each device. As people move about, the servers must keep recalculating and processing a new stream. Perlman expects that a single data center could satisfy the needs of a city like San Francisco.

Perlman has spent about 10 years working on this technology with a handful of employees. I paid a recent visit to their San Francisco laboratory and saw the technology working firsthand. Perlman had put a few of the transmitters up near the ceiling and was able to direct a wireless beam right at a device in my hand. Despite such demonstrations, Perlman has been unable to tempt venture capitalists with the technology. “They invariably bring in experts who say it doesn’t really work,” he says. “I am showing them a demo, but they remain convinced that it’s something else.”

Perlman has some pretty big hurdles to overcome, but more than one true innovative technology has had similar difficulties getting backing.

Edited by phrelin, 19 February 2014 - 03:55 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,816 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

Whether it's a personal cell or a 'priority' account for a better connection, you'll pay more.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:34 PM

Whenever someone makes a big claim like that on how revolutionary something is, I get skeptical. Kind of like the comments Jeff Bezos made about the Segway.

Hopefully he's more successful with this than he was with OnLive.

#5 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,816 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:21 AM

Dean Kamen made the Segway

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

Right, but it was Bezos that said (back when we didn't know what it really was other than Ginger) "cities will be redesigned around this device". I don't think Kamen himself ever indicated anything so grandiose, but it's one example of many on how something is supposed to change the world, or be the invention of the 21st century etc, and is little more than a whimper.

#7 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,574 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:35 AM

Bigger the claim = Higher IPO treasure hunting :)

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...