Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Aereo loses in 10th Circuit court

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

This currently affects Salt Lake City and Denver.

http://arstechnica.c...tworks-in-utah/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Well that sounds like someone who is trying to protect stations from chargeing for something they agree to give to people for free when they got all the bandwidth for free.

#3 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

The title of the news on the home page is incorrect.  They haven't lost at all since it hasn't been tried.

• Reaper likes this

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#4 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

The Salt Lake City CBS affiliate is owned by Sinclair; and the FOX affiliate is owned by Tribune. The CBS affiliate was once owned by CBS proper.

OK, Aereo's model, when you read their web site, can be interpreted that they are taking over the air signals, and passing them along. One's "antenna" is dedicated IP address fro their stream over IP service. The "DVR" is stored at their data center. This is not the same as taking an antenna, putting it on one's roof and capturing signals. In a way, Aereo operates like the olden days of Cable TV. In its humble beginning, cable TV took over the air signals and ran it to people's homes, because distance from broadcast towers, and natural obstructions, prevents a reliable signal.

It is interesting that Aereo did win in three other other appeals courts. Though, the 10th district is a very conservative court. As is the state, for which this case was heard.

As this will end up in the Supreme Court, it could prove interesting; if they find for Aereo. CBS and FOX have threatened to go way from over the air and only run their contents as pay networks. NBC and ABC, have made similar threats. Honestly, what these networks air would I not consider paying extra for, beyond what I am forced to pay to get locals on DirectTV. Of course, in Denver, I get over 15 channels as locals. But, CBS or FOX for $5/month; I do not think so.

This is a classic case where our do nothing Congress needs to do something. Local station are provided public frequencies to broadcast. While they own the copyright, on programming, they do not own the frequencies they broadcast on. Be it over the air, on cable or on satellite; the US Government (NIST and FCC)  determine teh standards and the frequencies; and, how they are allocated and used.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

The title of the news on the home page is incorrect.  They haven't lost at all since it hasn't been tried.

I should have read the decision. The judge ruled against Aereo but stayed the decision pending the Supreme Court.

#6 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

+1

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,299 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

They lost ... they just do not have to pay the penalty (follow the injunction prohibiting them from operating) due to the judge taking in to consideration the pending Supreme Court case.

A win for Aereo would be for the judge not to issue the injunction. The judge is clearly saying what Aereo is doing is wrong and they should not be in business.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

Copyright went off the rails the moment they started extending existing copyrights, to keep works out of the public domain.  At that point who was stealing from whom became unclear..

Edited by gully_foyle, 21 February 2014 - 02:39 AM.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#9 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

They lost ... they just do not have to pay the penalty (follow the injunction prohibiting them from operating) due to the judge taking in to consideration the pending Supreme Court case.

A win for Aereo would be for the judge not to issue the injunction. The judge is clearly saying what Aereo is doing is wrong and they should not be in business.

Not true James.  No more than the failure in other appeals courts to get an injunction was a 'win'.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,299 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

Not true James.  No more than the failure in other appeals courts to get an injunction was a 'win'.

That is the point. Some people seem to dance in the streets when an injunction is not issued as if the case is over and the defendant has won. The decision not it issue an injunction is positive, but is not a final victory.

Having an injunction enforced is a serious loss as the defendant must cease operations (and potentially lose money) until the case is finished. If the defendant ends up winning they may end up getting some compensation from the plaintiff but being out of business hurts their growth. Injunctions may go unenforced if the plaintiff is unwilling to post a bond to cover the possibility that they would lose and owe the defendant for those loses. A stayed injunction keeps the defendant in business ... potentially building up further damages that would need to be paid to the plaintiff if they eventually lose.

The difference here is what happens after the Supreme Court decision. If the Supreme Court sides with Aereo business continues ... but if the Supreme Court goes against Aereo they will send the decision back to the lower courts to handle. In the other districts the lower courts will have to revisit the decisions and injunctions - in the 10th there is an injunction ready to be put in to effect.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,477 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

Update: Aereo wins a grace period from injunction, keeps Denver and Salt Lake City open

Some broadcasters might have recently scored a victory against Aereo in court, but they can't party just yet. The startup just got a 14-day grace period from a six-state preliminary injunction (it has won its share of court battles, and this is considered its biggest legal setback thus far) handed down last week. That means the over-the-air TV service can continue any expansion plans in Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah and Wyoming... at least for a while. 

aereony.jpg
Engadget

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#12 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,477 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

Update: Department of Justice comes out against Aereo's TV streaming in Supreme Court case

It's never a good idea to make an enemy of the federal government, and it appears that Aereo now finds itself in just that predicament. On Monday, the US Department of Justice came out in favor of the broadcasters that oppose Aereo in a case currently before the US Supreme Court. 

aereo-620.jpg

Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

#13 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,477 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Update: Aereo Attracts Support From Dish Network, EFF & More For SCOTUS Hearing

With less than three weeks before Aereo argues its case in front of the Supreme Court, amicus briefs today supporting the subscription streaming service in its battle against the broadcasters were being filed fast and furiously. Supporters of the Barry Diller-backed company have until 11:59 PM ET to add their voices to the cause.

On the plaintiff’s side, SAG-AFTRA, Viacom, Time Warner and Warner Bros Entertainment, the NFL and MLB are among those who have come out against Aereo. 

Today’s briefs from Dish Network, the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the American Cable Association and more come less than a week after Aereo firmly responded to the broadcaster’s February 24 brief and the same day Diller said that Aereo could be “finished” if it loses before the SCOTUS....

supremecourt__121107013841.jpg

#14 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

Knowing the makeup of the Supreme Court, chances are they will find against Aereo. Too bad, because they have a nice concept. One really does get a mini-antenna which picks up signals for each customer. But, for some reason, the courts think Aereo is nothing more than Cable TV, except it is over the internet. Never mind that all its doing it setting up an antenna, and IP address, and cloud storage. No different than any streaming site, except the antenna part.

Big corporate oligarchs are trying to quash Aereo, because if allowed to operate, it would put an end to the billions of dollars they rob subscribers for transmission consent. Again, it is not what Aereo is doing, it is about the money the CEOs and stock holders want in their pockets.

I was just about to sign up, so I could get the sub channels that DirecTV does not carry, but Denver signup was blocked right before I could do it.

Another case where ignorance of technology meets the legal system.

#15 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:42 PM

One really does get a mini-antenna which picks up signals for each customer.

Let's not start this argument again. Just read the posts in the other Aereo thread. Antennas that close are not functioning alone because of wavelengths. And others have basically reversed engineered their system to debunk the one antenna and channel per subscriber claim. (Shared streaming servers, the delay to "prep" an antenna is a fake javascript delay, the ability to watch multiple channels at the same time and instantly by changing the publishing point on the url, the so called live DVR feature is something built into the open source media player, a player used by other sites like BBC and RTE for their live streams, and works with any HDS stream, etc)

But, for some reason, the courts think Aereo is nothing more than Cable TV, except it is over the internet.

That's exactly what Cable TV was in the beginning, Community Antenna Television, the difference is they are not getting permission from the networks first. And Aereo made themselves look more like a MSO than a community antenna service when they started offering Bloomberg, a non OTA channel as part of their service.

No different than any streaming site, except the antenna part.

Unless you're going to a site with a bunch of unofficial streams, ANY streaming site needs consent from the rights holder of the programming. Whether it's the network, studio, producer or sports league. In this case even the networks don't have the rights to stream everything online to all platforms. (i.e. the NFL made an exclusive deal with Verizon for mobile rights, so WatchESPN and the live WatchABC streams for ABC affiliates that carry Monday Night and Thursday Night football games locally like WPVI cannot show them on cell phones, Fox Sports's live stream of the Super Bowl was limited to tablets and computers, until ESPN made their new deal with MLB at the end of 2012 they had to blur the screen anytime MLB highlights appeared on SportsCenter)

This ruling will decide if using the internet as the last mile of delivery exempts them from any regulations that apply to MSOs (i.e. must carry/retransmission consent, EAS, Descriptive Video, Closed captioning), and pretty much create a loophole bypassing any exclusive contracts sports leagues have for over the top distribution.

Edited by KyL416, 03 April 2014 - 04:40 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Knowing the makeup of the Supreme Court, chances are they will find against Aereo. Too bad, because they have a nice concept. One really does get a mini-antenna which picks up signals for each customer. But, for some reason, the courts think Aereo is nothing more than Cable TV, except it is over the internet. Never mind that all its doing it setting up an antenna, and IP address, and cloud storage. No different than any streaming site, except the antenna part.

Big corporate oligarchs are trying to quash Aereo, because if allowed to operate, it would put an end to the billions of dollars they rob subscribers for transmission consent. Again, it is not what Aereo is doing, it is about the money the CEOs and stock holders want in their pockets.

I was just about to sign up, so I could get the sub channels that DirecTV does not carry, but Denver signup was blocked right before I could do it.

Another case where ignorance of technology meets the legal system.

Uhm, actually the individual antenna is not doing that.  This is part of the problem.  Its an array, not a dedicated antenna for each customer.

The bigger issue, however, is that they don't have the consent or right to do what they are doing.  Cable asked that permission, negotiated it, etc.  Aereo decided to skip that little part.

Edited by Satelliteracer, 04 April 2014 - 09:37 AM.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:55 AM

Well said, Mr. Racer. But as I've said before in other forums, the matter of what Aereo is doing and whether it's fair is not really at issue. The issue is that the FCC is failing to act to close a loophole that Aereo has the legal right to exploit. All they would have to do would be issue a rule change that said that operating an array of individual antennas for the purpose of offering a paid service that provides television programming is tantamount to retransmission. They could even use those exact words.

I'm not sure if it would require congressional approval, but the fact that the FCC hasn't even tried to address this at all, relying instead on legal challenges to shape the argument, says a lot about them
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Right, and Aereo is charging for the service and operating as a for profit business. Big difference from free OTA with a home antenna.

#19 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,210 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

Whether I choose to receive a broadcaster's signal over the public airwaves (free-to-air) or through an intermediary

such as CCTV, commercial cable or a pay internet service like Aereo should be my choice. A book, once paid for,

can be read by many people. A song can be heard by more than a single person. Why should a tv broadcaster be

able to charge multiple times for the same content?

I hope Aereo is successful based solely on principal.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,299 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

The issue is that the FCC is failing to act to close a loophole that Aereo has the legal right to exploit. All they would have to do would be issue a rule change that said that operating an array of individual antennas for the purpose of offering a paid service that provides television programming is tantamount to retransmission. They could even use those exact words.

Personally I don't see a loophole where Aereo operates ... I see the deliberate redefining of terms. Retransmission is retransmission whether they have one antenna or a million. The concept of retransmission needs to be honored in the decision.

If The FCC has to adjusts definitions for Aereo then the next Aereo will simply work one step outside of that line. But if the concept of "what is retransmission" is upheld there is no line to move.

spam firewall